Man set to miss out on £1 million hoard reward

The place to find the latest news story . . .
you can make a comment if you wish!
popsandme
Finds Advisor - UKDN Supporter - Diamond
meble kuchenne warszawa
Main Detector: Nox 800

Re: Man set to miss out on £1 million hoard reward

Post by popsandme »

Daily mail article....
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... field.html
quote...
"The grandfather-of-four said he will share some of his fortune with his metal detector friends - a customary tradition with a big find - and has pledged to buy a new house for his wife Christine, 53."

now call me a bluff old traditionalist but you dont promise to buy the wife a new house and then tell her he aint taking £500K....that is tantamount to signing ones own death warranty, is it not!
Sometimes too much to drink is barely enough.

Self recording on the PAS database..... Click Here
2022 Hammered = 5

Puffin
UKDN Valued Member and Diamond Supporter
Main Detector: Mark one gray matter

Post by Puffin »

The Daily Mail has one of the worst reps. going, I saw a story yesterday. A school boy found a civil war canon in some bushes, Started playing football with it, before his dad called the bomb squad in, who then blow it up, Described has having two holes and a couple of letters on it??? According the to mail that it. LoL

How many errors can you see in this brief description of the article. The comments on Facebook!!! I was killing myself LoL
Deus, XP GMP, CS 4Pi, Canon 450d, Garmin GPS, PAS Self Recorder.
Hamster Count 55. Then so far this year 0 to the Deus.
Denarius Count 7. Then so far this year 0.

Tony Miller
Main Detector: CTX3030

Post by Tony Miller »

Find this hard to believe. Not the finding of the hoard but turning down the reward.............Nah.
FUBAR

popsandme

Post by popsandme »

Its like someone presenting you with a winning lottery ticket for you to say "no thanks, actually even though I could really do with the bunce, I dont really want it."
Mis quoting at its best....what's a plural here and a singular there mean anyway?....journalism at its best, all in the name of a good story be it from the press or internet bloggers! Im gonna speek the truth here......my wife gets the hump if I dont buy her some chocolate buttons, what are the chances of me surviving 10 seconds after I had told her I just waived £500K......and fellas that have partners, dont think you would be safe either, morals or not I have 499,999K reasons to keep the bunce and they all centre around my wife and family and just 1 to waive it!........when it comes to life changing amounts, it seems morals are a rare commodity for every last man jack.
Attachments
Screenshot_2015-02-10-15-54-51-1.png
Screenshot_2015-02-10-15-54-51-1.png (125.3 KiB) Viewed 11178 times

2022 Hammered = 5

ageezer
UKDN Supporter - Bronze
UKDN Supporter - Bronze
Main Detector: deus /nokta pointer

Post by ageezer »

the BM still has to raise a million quid ,and hoards come up regularly but they dont keep buying them as funds are prioritised to rare artifacts as most desirable ,the BM dont have a cash pit .they would if they sold on stuff from the basement that it no longer need

ageezer
UKDN Supporter - Bronze
UKDN Supporter - Bronze
Main Detector: deus /nokta pointer

Post by ageezer »

http://www.theguardian.com/science/2015 ... useum-cuts
A heap of Anglo-Saxon coins glittering as if newly minted, and a small gold cross still containing a fragment of a relic that was literally kept close to the heart of somebody who clung to the outlawed Roman Catholic faith, are among the treasures found by metal detectors and unveiled this week at the British Museum.

The most recent year covered by the Treasure report, 2012, was another bumper year for precious objects – including 3,000-year-old golden bracelets belonging to a child, a Viking hoard of ingots and chopped up arm rings from Cumbria – and for the more modest but historically priceless archaeological objects voluntarily reported under the Portable Antiquities Scheme (PAS).

However, the internationally admired system for recording treasure is itself under threat from central and local authority budget cuts.

However, the PAS has been hit by a 6% budget cut at the British Museum, and has only been kept going for the next year by an emergency grant from the private Headley Trust charity. Almost a third of the 31 local authority museum partners have said they will not be able to afford to keep the scheme going if their funding is cut further.

Neil McGregor, the director of the British Museum, said he could give no guarantees that the scheme would be protected from the full impact of future cuts in his museum grant. He said: “The PAS is an integral part of the British Museum, and we will just have to see what happens.”

popsandme

Post by popsandme »

ageezer wrote:the BM dont have a cash pit .they would if they sold on stuff from the basement that it no longer need
But then they would be pilloried for profiteering should their books appear healthier for it, from those that shall we say "reside overseas".... would they not?

2022 Hammered = 5

Puffin

Post by Puffin »

Another take on the issue, PAS is near broke from cuts according this article. http://www.theguardian.com/science/2015 ... useum-cuts

tinner
Main Detector: Deus

Post by tinner »

read the story it is what they want him to do not what he has agreed too :g42:
2018 69 hammys
2019 1 hammered

bodvoc
Consortium Member
Consortium Member

Post by bodvoc »

This is going to turn sour unless everyone is singing from the same hymn sheet!!
Professionally aimless wandering.

seDEUSed

kev woodward
Site Admin
Main Detector: XP Deus 1

Post by kev woodward »

I severely doubt that the valuation will be anywhere near the amount quoted, it will be in the tens of thousands rather than the hundreds of thousands at best :g58: :g58: :g58:
I have become comfortably numb

popsandme

Post by popsandme »

have a silver buckle in the treasure process that a museum wanted to aquire.....I have just had a letter saying that the museum in question couldnt raise the funds, I did wonder at the time if this was a ruse for me to say "ah go on then you can have my 50%".....the land owner still aint told me what he wants to do and as im taking his lead time is dragging and I have told him this as I am quite prepared to pay him his £15! 
Mrs Pops has been promised her chocolate buttons should the museum stump up the dough for me "hoiking" it out the ground without a care for the archeology lol

2022 Hammered = 5

dig-it-pete
Finds Advisor & Moderator
Main Detector: Manticore

Post by dig-it-pete »

I still cannot see how they would know who stashed them and why - so can someone please explain to me in simple English how you can know who stashed them and why by studying the clump of coins in situ. I can see that you may get some information by dating the coins in the layers they were placed in to give a time frame of when they were deposited but am at a loss to know how you can know who originally stashed them or if it was one person or several people?

Surely the main thing is the fact that they have been found at all - or am I missing something?? I admit I am not an archeologist but just someone that enjoys the hobby of metal detecting and reports all of his historical finds to our FLO and now has an interest in History that he never had at School!
Minelab Manticore

Puffin

Post by Puffin »

Its about understanding how coins are deposited more then anything else. Say a votive offering over a long period, the coins would be deposited in roughly order of date and undisturbed, oldest to youngest coins giving a time line. Or if coins are grouped by denomination in the deposit could mean a trader or bankers deposit. Or coins jumbled together could be a household piggybank deposit. Even the way coins are deposited in different types of containers can be important. Say a traveler / trader hiding his stash in a bag before entering a dangerous town or area, then recovering it after a trade etc. A lot of the information gained from the container and method of deposit is just as important as the contents and tells a story of the find. This is why the pro's are always moaning about the way we recover any finds, just removing the items by the spade full just destroys this info. The very reason they say stop as soon as you find an in situ hoad, have your local FLO's number on your mobile and call them right away.

dig-it-pete
Main Detector: Manticore

Post by dig-it-pete »

Puffin wrote:Its about understanding how coins are deposited more then anything else. Say a votive offering over a long period, the coins would be deposited in roughly order of date and undisturbed, oldest to youngest coins giving a time line. Or if coins are grouped by denomination in the deposit could mean a trader or bankers deposit. Or coins jumbled together could be a household piggybank deposit. Even the way coins are deposited in different types of containers can be important. Say a traveler / trader hiding his stash in a bag before entering a dangerous town or area, then recovering it after a trade etc. A lot of the information gained from the container and method of deposit is just as important as the contents and tells a story of the find. This is why the pro's are always moaning about the way we recover any finds, just removing the items by the spade full just destroys this info. The very reason they say stop as soon as you find an in situ hoad, have your local FLO's number on your mobile and call them right away.
Thanks for that Puffin - we just need things explaining to us sometimes so that we can all understand. I hope this has been helpful to others too.
Minelab Manticore

Return to “LATEST NEWS”