Newbie from Runcorn

A place for the newcomer to find useful information thus
helping them to make a good start in the hobby. Beginners can ask questions
and get replies from more experienced members.
Quiney2k
meble kuchenne warszawa
Main Detector: Garrett 350 Euroace

Newbie from Runcorn

Post by Quiney2k »

Hi all

I have decided to take up metal detecting as I still have that childhood urge to find treasure and I'm intrigued as to what is out there unfound. I see this as a great way to spend to quality outdoor time with my young sons.

My local club is full so I am on the waiting list and see rallies as my best opportunity to learn the hobby. What is the best way to obtain land to detect on and do you know of any local rallies that I can attend to learn.

Based on reviews I have purchased a Garrett ace 250. Any help or good advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Danny

popsandme
Finds Advisor - UKDN Supporter - Diamond
Finds Advisor - UKDN Supporter - Diamond
Main Detector: Nox 800

Re: Newbie from Runcorn

Post by popsandme »

welcome aboard danny, the best way in my view to get permission is to go and put your knuckles on some farmers front doors mate, you cant beat the face to face approach, especially as the harvest is here, well for some of us anyway but not sure what its like round your way, explain that you are a responsible detectorist, assure them that you wil back fill all your holes and show him all your finds even all the rubbish lol
Sometimes too much to drink is barely enough.

Self recording on the PAS database..... Click Here
2022 Hammered = 5

Old Git John
UKDN Valued Member and Platinum Supporter
UKDN Valued Member and Platinum Supporter
Main Detector: SIMPLEX

Post by Old Git John »

Hello Danny, and welcome to UKDN. As Pops has said, knocking on doors, and chatting face to face, farmers like to
see who they are about to allow onto their land. A good starting point is just what you have said, "I am learning",
you can tell the farmer/landowner that you are a novice, and wonder if he/she would kindly let you detect on their
fields, to get to know how to use the machine. "(Worked for me, for the first five years anyway). :g41:
You will get some rejections, but, just thank them for their time, and move on.

You will get a load of good advice on gaining permissions in the thread. Good luck, and good hunting.
I used to have an issue regarding having an inferiority complex, I no longer have an issue with being inferior.

scaz3793

Post by scaz3793 »

Hi Danny I live in Runcorn as well if you want to meet up some day and have a chat or go on a permission hunt just let us know cheers Colin.

omegamike
Main Detector: Minelab GPX4800

Post by omegamike »

Welcome to the forum Danny.

Several things for you....

If your in this hobby to find treasure/gold then this isn't the hobby for you!

Near 99% of the things you will find will be trash! bits of lead, copper alloy, ring pulls, wire, buttons (loads of buttons!), screws, nails..... the list is endless.

Be prepared to put in mega hours for meagre returns. To spend several hours on a field and come away with nothing apart from trash is not unusual at all, in fact it's pretty much the norm.

If you consider finding anything of interest as a bonus and being out in the fresh air and stretching those legs without a care in the world - then this mite just be what your looking for :g62:

Good Luck :g50:
Swing till you drop...... if in doubt - DIG IT!!

Return to “BEGINNERS' SECTION”