The Real Benefits Of Upgrading ?

A place for the newcomer to find useful information thus
helping them to make a good start in the hobby. Beginners can ask questions
and get replies from more experienced members.
Wigeon
meble kuchenne warszawa
Main Detector: E-Trac

Re: The Real Benefits Of Upgrading ?

Post by Wigeon »

jcmaloney wrote:Pinpointing is easy.......... left to right over target, note where the tone is loudest. Turn 90 degrees do a left to right, same again where the tone is loudest...... that makes + thats where you dig. With the Minelab Pro-coil the "seet spot is about an inch or so in front of where the stem joins the coil.
Thank you. I think (but not sure) where I am having the problem, is when there is some iron present and the pinpoint on the E-Trac is grabbing hold of the iron instead of the target :-?

I am operating in coin mode with the quick mask on clear screen. I am doing the 90 degree check but if pinpoint is grabbing iron, it is leading me astray. That is why I am trying the wiggle whilst in coin mode. All advice appreciated though.

I am trying to complete my (local history) survey of the musket balls, which has become something of a labour of love.

Owen williams422

Post by Owen williams422 »

Sounds like a rite ball ache mate one word Deus

jcmaloney
UKDN Diamond Supporter and UKDN Magazine Contributor

Post by jcmaloney »

Wigeon wrote:
jcmaloney wrote:Pinpointing is easy.......... left to right over target, note where the tone is loudest. Turn 90 degrees do a left to right, same again where the tone is loudest...... that makes + thats where you dig. With the Minelab Pro-coil the "seet spot is about an inch or so in front of where the stem joins the coil.
Thank you. I think (but not sure) where I am having the problem, is when there is some iron present and the pinpoint on the E-Trac is grabbing hold of the iron instead of the target :-?

I am operating in coin mode with the quick mask on clear screen. I am doing the 90 degree check but if pinpoint is grabbing iron, it is leading me astray. That is why I am trying the wiggle whilst in coin mode. All advice appreciated though.

I am trying to complete my (local history) survey of the musket balls, which has become something of a labour of love.
If you are switching to pinpoint mode thats "all metal" so it will grab the largest target. Something those french fairy sticks can`t do. Work with the machine learn the multi tones and the power of multi frequency. :g58:

Owen williams422

They don't need too it's far simpler on the Deus u just backward swing till no tone it's in the tip of the coil every time none of this swing up down left right rubbish

jcmaloney

Post by jcmaloney »

You can do the same with an E-Trac, that comes with experience. I was trying to be helpful. Hence I told him that PP is all metal.
The guy has got the machines he`s got so giving advice on other machines isn`t helpful really.

Tracker

Post by Tracker »

I often wonder, say a hammered at say 6", if you swung any decent md over it in exactly the same way, how many would not pick it up, I reckon most if not all would get it.

So when you consider most finds are in the top 6" are we as a group "a willing to be led victim of manufacturers hype" ??

Owen williams422

I have pwesonally used a garrett ace 250to start with for a year and a half started going out with Pete swinging over his hammy holes with the plug back on I was not even getting any time at all so it's not hype it's reality better machines are more sensitive don't get me wrong I have found good stuff with a lesser detector bronze age axes silvers etc but when I switched to the Deus my find rate went through the roof I don't work or get paid by Deus to say this and I hate that they are so expensive but the fact is they don't miss even individual shot from shotguns specks of metal

Wigeon

Post by Wigeon »

jcmaloney wrote:You can do the same with an E-Trac, that comes with experience. I was trying to be helpful. Hence I told him that PP is all metal.
The guy has got the machines he`s got so giving advice on other machines isn`t helpful really.

Thanks jcmaloney.
I do understand that pinpoint is all metal. Listening to the target in coin mode, then in Quick Mask with a clear screen allows me to appreciate that there is also iron nearby. This is quite a benefit from the more sophisticated machine and is helping me to understand what the E-Trac is trying to tell me.
I think you hit the nail on the head when you said 'comes with experience' and I am at the stage of gaining that experience.

It seems that perhaps a better way of getting a more accurate pinpoint is by using the 'wiggle' method, whilst remaining in coin mode.
Sometimes I am getting it spot-on, whilst others I am well off beam, particularly if I use the pinpoint button itself.
The pinpoint on my X-Terra 30, with its 9inch concentric coil, is so good, that I have been spoiled on that aspect.

I am getting out with the E-Trac regularly' so I'm sure it will all make sense before too long.

Owen williams422

There's a guy on youtube called pondguru he uses the etrac alot and he does some good metal detecting videos have a look wigeon

Wigeon

Post by Wigeon »

Owen williams422 wrote:There's a guy on youtube called pondguru he uses the etrac alot and he does some good metal detecting videos have a look wigeon
Thanks for that. I have indeed been looking at several of his videos and they are very helpful.

Pondguru was where I got the 'wiggle' idea from. I think I have lots of helpful information but now need to develop the practical skill to make it work every time.

Since having the E-Trac, I have certainly doing a lot of digging. Fortunately it is on cultivated agricultural land, which is due to be ploughed in the next few months, so lots of filled holes is not an issue. Also the soil is peat fen, so very easy to dig.

I need to get this pinpoint skill spot on, as my next field will be on (heavy-soil) pasture, with medieval ridge and furrow that has not been ploughed for several centuries. I will need to be accurately digging small, neat holes there for sure.

JBM
UKDN Valued Member and UKDN Magazine Contributer
Main Detector: XP Deus.

Post by JBM »

When I started detecting we called it "North-South and East-West" pin pointing.

I still use it all the time as do certain other well known old hands.

Happy Hunting and a Merry Xmas with full pouches in 2017. Jerry. :g50:
WHRADA Member.
NCMD member WR.

bodvoc
Consortium Member
Consortium Member

Post by bodvoc »

Yes, NSEW movement helps pinpoint targets. Circular movements around the outer edge of the target also works well.
Professionally aimless wandering.

seDEUSed

Wigeon

Post by Wigeon »

Cracked it this morning! Six digs with target located spot-on.
I had been using a 13'' coil but changed to the standard 11'' supplied with the machine. I think I may need more experience before using the larger coil again ?
I did NS/EW and used the 'wiggle' (back-off) method too. Thanks for all the advice.

Return to “BEGINNERS' SECTION”