A hoard of GOLD coins more than 2,000 years old wa

The place to find the latest news story . . .
you can make a comment if you wish!
PhilD
UKDN Valued Member and Diamond Supporter
meble kuchenne warszawa
Main Detector: Makro Racer
Location: Saving North Yorks finds for future generations by recording with PAS

A hoard of GOLD coins more than 2,000 years old wa

Post by PhilD »

A hoard of GOLD coins more than 2,000 years old was found in Ightham.........

http://www.kentlive.news/a-hoard-of-gol ... story.html
Attachments
15629398-large.jpg
15629398-large.jpg (25.25 KiB) Viewed 13353 times
Click here to register with PAS
Makro Racer / ATPro Inter / T2 / Explorer II / Ace 250 / Garrett Pro Pinpointer / Etrex 10 GPS /Lumix TZ60/PAS Records - Click here

Euan

Re: A hoard of GOLD coins more than 2,000 years old wa

Post by Euan »

:shock: :g50: :shock:

jcmaloney
UKDN Diamond Supporter and UKDN Magazine Contributor
UKDN Diamond Supporter and UKDN Magazine Contributor

Post by jcmaloney »

One day local journalists will be able to write a report properly!

dig-it-pete
Finds Advisor & Moderator
Finds Advisor & Moderator
Main Detector: Manticore

Post by dig-it-pete »

jcmaloney wrote:One day local journalists will be able to write a report properly!
:g42: :g50:
Minelab Manticore

Baldric
Site Moderator - UKDN Supporter
Main Detector: XP DEUS

Post by Baldric »

Peter is a mate of mine, he kept this very quiet. Well done.
Just because you are not paranoid, it does not mean that they are not out to get you

Troy Shadow X3, Shadow X5, XP ORX and now the DEUS 1

Hawkstone
Main Detector: T2

Post by Hawkstone »

jcmaloney wrote:One day local journalists will be able to write a report properly!
Do you really think so ? :g43: :g45: :g62:
''Gee my life's a funny thing, am i still too young ?''

noble1
UKDN Supporter - Bronze
UKDN Supporter - Bronze
Main Detector: Gold Max Power /DFX

Post by noble1 »

The system stinks, I also know Peter and he would not have wanted this find broadcast on here. The coroners system leaves a lot to be desired and the press are not much better in their sensationalism

popsandme
Finds Advisor - UKDN Supporter - Diamond
Main Detector: Nox 800

Post by popsandme »

noble1 wrote:The system stinks, I also know Peter and he would not have wanted this find broadcast on here. The coroners system leaves a lot to be desired and the press are not much better in their sensationalism
thats maybe so noble, however the fact remains that there is a freely available article that can be read be anyone so to suggest that the original poster should not have been so quick to post the link is a little contradictory. A few questions for you mate, is peter a member on here? did peter wish to remain anonymous when he declared his find? if he did choose to remain anonymous then why are you telling us his name?
all the best.
Sometimes too much to drink is barely enough.

Self recording on the PAS database..... Click Here
2022 Hammered = 5

noble1
UKDN Supporter - Bronze
UKDN Supporter - Bronze

Post by noble1 »

I am not disputing its a freely available article popsand me mate but how many UKDN members in the Norfolk or say the Scottish areas as examples would have bothered to trawl all the regional on line local news web sites to find this article if so then good for them but announcing it here it could be seen as a green light to those more unscrupulous within the hobby and who may know the area?
We are lucky as members as we can and do use pseudonyms and in a lot of cases we can either give a town we live in,a general area e.g North Yorkshire or no location information at all so if someone posted they had found a hoard of Iron Age coins no one would be any the wiser as to who they were, where they lived or detected, unfortunately Peter didn't have this choice.
Yes I believe Peter is a member but doesn't often use the website so hearing secondhand from a third party was very disappointing mostly by the coroner process and the article on KentLive but further compounded by being announced on this site. Did he get asked by the coroner whether he wanted to remain anonymous.. that I don't know, is this a statutory requirement for them to do so and if the press is present are they under any restrictions, seems not?
Finally my mentioning his name, if you look further up the thread Baldric mentions it also, .... how would he know, obviously only by going into the link so in mentioning his name its already in the article for everyone who opens it to see !!!!!

noble1
UKDN Supporter - Bronze
UKDN Supporter - Bronze

Post by noble1 »

Sorry guys wasn't able to encapsulate all my thoughts, just to say I get excited as anyone when I read these articles and congratulate PhilD for putting the time and energy into researching these articles but being close to home I now realise there are deeper implications in publishing these articles to those who have made newsworthy finds

popsandme

Post by popsandme »

noble with due respect, its is everyone's right to have their own say and opinion on the matter. i simply think that you have failed to grasped the situation.......

man finds hoard.
hoard gets declared.
hoard is part of coroners inquest.
press attends inquest.
press publish article.

......we as metal detectorists are instantly drawn to articles of such nature and from time to time members on here, especially members of the team, like to share news stories that other members might be interested in reading, thats what we as a forum like to do, we like to share interesting news, after all if it were not for stories like this what can we all dream about, phil shared a news story as its part of what he does as a very active and respected member of the team, we as admin see no wrong in what he did.

At the end of the day, have you fired off a bitterly worded letter to the Kentlive news website or for that matter the coroners office for having the audacity to let the press into a public inquiry where every citizen of the county of Kent could have attended, which incidentally would be in the region of 1.7 million+ people.

and yes i did notice that baldric had also mentioned peters name but unlike your initial comment he chose to keep his comment to a more congratulatory one.

Peter would have at some point been asked if he wished to remain anonymous and the press would have been bound by the courts ruling should he have chosen to do so, erg the press have only done their job and reported the facts that are available from the inquiry and that includes names.

2022 Hammered = 5

popsandme

Post by popsandme »

just to add i didnt read your final post before posting me above comment.
:g50: :g50:

2022 Hammered = 5

meandmydreams
Main Detector: Deus and GMP

Post by meandmydreams »

Just a thought, but I have recorded a handful of treasure finds over the years and have agreed with the FLO to keep exact find spots from the public domain. This was relayed to the coroner to protect sensitive sites. The find needs to be accurately reported for the record, but Jo Public doesn't need to know which field a find comes from. A description like" Near Maidstone" rather than "Leeds Castle" would suffice. This won't help in this case, but may be useful for others avoid such a pitfall.
This is a link to my publicly available finds on the PAS Database http://finds.org.uk/database/search/res ... 1B63D0139E

Return to “LATEST NEWS”