Somerset museum attempts to keep Roman coin hoard

The place to find the latest news story . . .
you can make a comment if you wish!
Baldric
Site Moderator - UKDN Supporter
meble kuchenne warszawa
Main Detector: XP DEUS

Somerset museum attempts to keep Roman coin hoard

Post by Baldric »

The deadline is looming for a Somerset museum to try to stop what is thought to be the largest ever find of Roman coins from leaving the county.

Click Here
Just because you are not paranoid, it does not mean that they are not out to get you

Troy Shadow X3, Shadow X5, XP ORX and now the DEUS 1

chrick53
Main Detector: Fisher F75 XP Deus

Re: Somerset museum attempts to keep Roman coin hoard

Post by chrick53 »

That story makes me mad with the finder Mr. Crisp. :g10: Somerset museum wants the coins badly so they stay where they belong but they don't have enough money to pay the full appraised amount. Mr. Crisp says he really wants them to stay in Somerset and it's not about the money. Well if this were true he would accept the amount that the museum raises as payment in full or even donate his half. I know there is still the landowner to deal with but maybe something can be worked out. I realize the value is much more then the museum has at this point and the finder has every right to the full value but then don't say "it isn't about the money" because it is! :g58: Sorry, just had to vent.
IF YOU DIG ENOUGH HOLES YOU'RE GONNA FIND SOMETHING

Obby
UKDN Supporter - Gold
UKDN Supporter - Gold
Main Detector: XP Deus

Post by Obby »

chrick53 wrote:That story makes me mad with the finder Mr. Crisp. :g10: Somerset museum wants the coins badly so they stay where they belong but they don't have enough money to pay the full appraised amount. Mr. Crisp says he really wants them to stay in Somerset and it's not about the money. Well if this were true he would accept the amount that the museum raises as payment in full or even donate his half. I know there is still the landowner to deal with but maybe something can be worked out. I realize the value is much more then the museum has at this point and the finder has every right to the full value but then don't say "it isn't about the money" because it is! :g58: Sorry, just had to vent.
Perhaps if you knew Dave Crisp as well as I and others do, you would be more guarded with your comments.

Nuff said

:g43:

Steve Rice

Post by Steve Rice »

Obby wrote:
chrick53 wrote:That story makes me mad with the finder Mr. Crisp. :g10: Somerset museum wants the coins badly so they stay where they belong but they don't have enough money to pay the full appraised amount. Mr. Crisp says he really wants them to stay in Somerset and it's not about the money. Well if this were true he would accept the amount that the museum raises as payment in full or even donate his half. I know there is still the landowner to deal with but maybe something can be worked out. I realize the value is much more then the museum has at this point and the finder has every right to the full value but then don't say "it isn't about the money" because it is! :g58: Sorry, just had to vent.
Perhaps if you knew Dave Crisp as well as I and others do, you would be more guarded with your comments.

Nuff said

:g43:
I don't know Mr Crisp at all. I have no idea of his circumstances and whether he needs/wants the money. I do think it would ge great if he could work it out with them though. After all he never had the money before. Maybe the deadline could be extended?? :g43:
Creator of

http://www.englishcoindatabase.co.uk
(Help identify English Coins)

http://www.treasurehunting.tv
(UK and Worldwide Metal Detecting and Treasure Hunting News)

SGROAT

Post by SGROAT »

I just bought the British Museum book on the hoard- so there's another 50p towards it!
It's a difficult one isn't it. I don't know Mr Crisp either. I think I may have not said "it's not about the money" until I heard the valuation! Until it's you, who knows how your opinions may be affected. The full valuation is enough money to change lives, not just Mr Crisp's but, no doubt, those nearest and dearest to him.
It's easy to be principled when it aint us who could benefit. And there is the landowner too to think about. Mr Crisp is no doubt considering him/her too. From a non-beneficiary's point of view though, I would love the opportunity to see the hoard at a museum. I'm off to The BM in April. What is their position? They usually get first dibs don't they? Don't they want the hoard? Surely The BM would be better than the hoard going to auction if Somerset cannot raise the money.

My 50p worth !

SGROAT

Return to “LATEST NEWS”