Night hawkers strike Whitby abbey

The place to find the latest news story . . .
you can make a comment if you wish!
wes-bez
meble kuchenne warszawa

Re: Night hawkers strike Whitby abbey

Post by wes-bez »

jcmaloney wrote:Unbelievable. It could be anyone with a spade! Where is the evidence the hole diggers used a detector???
:g43: .... fishermen digging for worms then... :g42:

wes-bez

Post by wes-bez »

fiddiwebb wrote:Lump of iron found doesnt prove its nighthawkers, nighthawkers aint going to go round digging up iron, if they do either their detector is a maplins special or they are lousy at detecting, they won't want to waste time digging iron, only spot on signals also any nighthawker would know the area would not be worth searching, to much modern rubbish and to much in the public view, the last thing a nighthawker wants is to draw attention to their illegal nightime pursuits.

All smells to me as pointed out 14 holes in 10 weeks even if other holes had been backfilled there still would be evidence of the cut and remains of the spoil showing and I'm pretty sure the area would have been looked at carefully for other evidence.

Looking at the pic in the bbc link the holes grouped together look like small divots certainly not deep and as onestepbehind says looks like someone who has a lousy golf swing.
.... :g58: :hahaha: ...yes it does :g50: ...anyone ever thawt of tecting a golf course, should be plenty losses.

weldbuzz
Main Detector: C Scope 3 MXi Pro

Post by weldbuzz »

I didn't say it was definately night hawkers, i just said probably, which was my opinion, it hasn't been proved either way if it was or wasn't nighthawkers.

fiddiwebb

Post by fiddiwebb »

weldbuzz wrote:I didn't say it was definately night hawkers, i just said probably, which was my opinion, it hasn't been proved either way if it was or wasn't nighthawkers.
Very true weldbuzz, I wasn't getting at you personally it was the beeb and EH who have already condemned detectorists as the guilty parties, the problem is the insinuation has been made and that kind of thing sticks like mud.

rustie

Post by rustie »

well we all know that the bbc are good at mud slinging just look what they did for the help for heroes charity

weldbuzz
Main Detector: C Scope 3 MXi Pro

Post by weldbuzz »

fiddiwebb wrote:
weldbuzz wrote:I didn't say it was definately night hawkers, i just said probably, which was my opinion, it hasn't been proved either way if it was or wasn't nighthawkers.
Very true weldbuzz, I wasn't getting at you personally it was the beeb and EH who have already condemned detectorists as the guilty parties, the problem is the insinuation has been made and that kind of thing sticks like mud.
OK, fiddiweb, no probs. :g50:

winfit

Post by winfit »

Whatever happened to evidence ? surely you need sound firm evidence before you can make any wild accusations of this nature.
I would guess nighthawks are to blame but I would also add that this is more likely to be non hobbyists who have bought a cheap detector to gain easy cash....
It's hard enough to find something of significant value in the daylight hours yet alone at night.
If these were truly professional nighthawkers they would have covered their tracks so much better and no way would they have dug up iron and left it unsecreted near a newly dug hole....
There is corruption in all walks of life, just look at the bellarmine jugs incident that was exposed recently where an archi had stolen them from a site and offered them for sale on Ebay and the whole police force who covered up the Hillsborough lies for decades...14 holes pales into insignificance compared.

omegamike
Main Detector: Minelab GPX4800

Post by omegamike »

Nighthawkers are the least of the problems when it comes to history going missing..... the archies ought to get their own shop in order before pointing fingers! :g43: I would love to know the figures for prosecutions against Nighthawkers Vs Dodgy Archies? But then again I would guess that they try to keep their 'dodgy' employees out of the press so as not to taint their image? What we could do with is an Archie whistle blower to give us the low down on what happens in Archie circles? Anyone care to spill the beans? or is it a closed shop :g42:
Swing till you drop...... if in doubt - DIG IT!!

Belenus

Post by Belenus »

XVII century door hinge is not your typical "lump of iron" :D Also, you're forgetting that there are still some of us who do not use discrimination, or at the very least will dig large iron signal with the hope of digging up relics or metal container with valuables inside. There are some treasure stories associated with this abbey (indeed with any abbey I'd imagine) so someone may have caught a gold fever :swag: There is no doubt in my mind that a metal detector has been used.

petethedig
UKDN Valued Member and Diamond Supporter
UKDN Valued Member and Diamond Supporter
Main Detector: Minelab Etrac

Post by petethedig »

omegamike wrote:Night-hawkers are the least of the problems when it comes to history going missing..... the archies ought to get their own shop in order before pointing fingers! :g43: I would love to know the figures for prosecutions against Night-hawkers Vs Dodgy Archies? But then again I would guess that they try to keep their 'dodgy' employees out of the press so as not to taint their image? What we could do with is an Archie whistle blower to give us the low down on what happens in Archie circles? Anyone care to spill the beans? or is it a closed shop :g42:
That'll include me then Mike? :g43: Sometimes you need to think before you press the send key, because to me that's one horrific tarred brush your wielding. How about I call you a hawk, would you be offended? Of course you would, so please, just because one person gets caught and punished for stealing don't be so quick to tarnish us all. No more than the vast majority of detectorist are not nighthawks eh. :g51:

bodvoc
Consortium Member
Consortium Member

Post by bodvoc »

Are these holes more likely to be caused by the residents of the graveyard trying to climb out? :d
Professionally aimless wandering.

seDEUSed

jambo1984
Main Detector: safari/ace 250

Post by jambo1984 »

Haha 14 holes in 10 weeks ...14 holes is about an hour's work

wes-bez

Post by wes-bez »

omegamike wrote:Nighthawkers are the least of the problems when it comes to history going missing..... the archies ought to get their own shop in order before pointing fingers! :g43: I would love to know the figures for prosecutions against Nighthawkers Vs Dodgy Archies? But then again I would guess that they try to keep their 'dodgy' employees out of the press so as not to taint their image? What we could do with is an Archie whistle blower to give us the low down on what happens in Archie circles? Anyone care to spill the beans? or is it a closed shop :g42:
:g58: :g58: :g58: ... :g38: :g38: :g38:...I aint saying nowt...other than I (know) you are correct.
No I aint one but I have seen ones collection.

Return to “LATEST NEWS”