Windows 10

The place to find the latest news story . . .
you can make a comment if you wish!
popsandme
Finds Advisor - UKDN Supporter - Diamond
meble kuchenne warszawa
Main Detector: Nox 800

Re: Windows 10

Post by popsandme »

i have no icon :g40: :g40: :g40:
Sometimes too much to drink is barely enough.

Self recording on the PAS database..... Click Here
2022 Hammered = 5

Puffin
UKDN Valued Member and Diamond Supporter
Main Detector: Mark one gray matter

Post by Puffin »

Just had this email. No sign of mine yet.

When will my free upgrade arrive?

You’ve already reserved, so your free upgrade is on the way. This is the largest software upgrade event ever and we’re managing it so everyone has a great experience.

Your notification to upgrade could come as soon as a few days or in a few weeks.

In the meantime, you can always check your upgrade status in the Get Windows 10 app. Find the app by clicking on the Windows icon on your task bar.

Here are some common questions about the upgrade process. Click on the links for answers.
Deus, XP GMP, CS 4Pi, Canon 450d, Garmin GPS, PAS Self Recorder.
Hamster Count 55. Then so far this year 0 to the Deus.
Denarius Count 7. Then so far this year 0.

antuk99
Main Detector: Whites V3i

Post by antuk99 »

Am still waiting in anticipation

Puffin

Post by Puffin »

I stopped wait and downloaded it from the MS site anyway. Its just looking for updates now.

Old Git John
UKDN Valued Member and Platinum Supporter
Main Detector: SIMPLEX

Post by Old Git John »

It takes forever to download. I hope it is worth it. Any thoughts so far ?
I used to have an issue regarding having an inferiority complex, I no longer have an issue with being inferior.

Donnydave
Main Detector: XP Deus

Post by Donnydave »

Puffin wrote:Just had this email. No sign of mine yet.

When will my free upgrade arrive?

You’ve already reserved, so your free upgrade is on the way. This is the largest software upgrade event ever and we’re managing it so everyone has a great experience.

Your notification to upgrade could come as soon as a few days or in a few weeks.

In the meantime, you can always check your upgrade status in the Get Windows 10 app. Find the app by clicking on the Windows icon on your task bar.

Here are some common questions about the upgrade process. Click on the links for answers.
I got the same e-mail this morning, I am a bit dubious about downloading it, the old saying don,t fix whats not broken comes to mind :g58:

popsandme
Main Detector: Nox 800

Post by popsandme »

but i wanted something to moan about dave if all goes pear shaped :hahaha:
us Yorkshire men aint happy unless we have something to winge and tic about :hahaha: :hahaha:
Sometimes too much to drink is barely enough.

Self recording on the PAS database..... Click Here
2022 Hammered = 5

Nick
Main Detector: Explorer SE

Post by Nick »

I did the same as you Barrie, downloaded it from the MS site.

Download 1...A restart with "bootmgr" missing, had to fix the fault, and back to square one :g44:

Download 2...Tried downloading to a USB stick, gave up the will to live, probably would have finished at Xmas :g44:

Download 3...Almost got there, message saying my processor didn't support NX, altered the bios to enable DX (seems the same as NX) :g44: :g44: :g44:

Download 4...Worked a peach, no problems at all :g50: :g50:

Was it worth it, yep, very impressed :g38:
I thought I was wrong once but I was mistaken

Old Git John

Post by Old Git John »

Nearly 8.5 hours now, download still going, currently at 87%. I can think faster than that.
I used to have an issue regarding having an inferiority complex, I no longer have an issue with being inferior.

ageezer
UKDN Supporter - Bronze
UKDN Supporter - Bronze
Main Detector: deus /nokta pointer

Post by ageezer »

Windows 10 is under attack over default settings which users say compromise their privacy, just days after the operating system’s successful launch saw more than 14 million installs in the first 24 hours.

Hundreds of commenters on sites such as Hacker News and Reddit have criticised default settings that send personal information to Microsoft, use bandwidth to upload data to other computers running the operating system, share Wi-Fi passwords with online friends and remove the ability to opt out of security updates.

Many of the complaints relate to the new personalised adverts embedded in Windows 10. When the OS is installed, Microsoft assigns the user a unique advertising ID, which it ties to the email address registered with the company. That email address is also associated with a raft of other services, such as the company’s productivity and communication programs, as well as app downloads and cloud-storage uploads.

Using that information, Microsoft is able to personalise ads to the user, during both web surfing and, for newer apps downloaded from the Windows Store, app usage. Microsoft itself is leading the way on that front, even turning the in-built version of Solitaire (the card game that has been a staple of Windows installations since 1990’s Windows 3.0) into a freemium game, complete with unskippable video adverts.

Elsewhere, Windows 10 also harvests user information in order to teach the built-in personal digital assistant Cortana, Microsoft’s answer to Siri. To enable Cortana, the company says, it “collects and uses various types of data, such as your device location, data from your calendar, the apps you use, data from your emails and text messages, who you call, your contacts and how often you interact with them on your device”.
Windows 10 review – final version of Windows might be Microsoft's best ever
Microsoft’s Windows swansong brings together the best bits of Windows 7 and 8 – and won’t force you to change the way you work
Read more

Users are given the option to opt out of most of the data collection, but critics say that that isn’t enough. Alec Meer, of gaming website Rock Paper Shotgun, says: “Microsoft simply aren’t making it clear enough that they’re doing this, how it might affect you and how to opt out – despite chest-thumping, we’re-all-chums-here talk about how ‘real transparency starts with straightforward terms and policies that people can clearly understand’.

“There is no world in which 45 pages of policy documents and opt-out settings split across 13 different Settings screens and an external website constitutes ‘real transparency’.”

Others have criticised the company for a seeming get-out clause in its terms of service, which allow it to share user data based on nothing more than a “good faith” belief that doing so is required to comply with law enforcement, “protect our customers”, secure the company’s services, or “protect the rights or property of Microsoft”.

The terms are reminiscent of those applied by the company in March 2014, when it read the hotmail account of a blogger suspected of being involved in leaking an early version of Windows 10. After facing criticism for doing so, Microsoft tightened its privacy policy, and promised a full internal legal review before it would do so again in the future.

The European digital rights organisation (EDRi) sums up the company’s 45 pages of terms and conditions by saying: “Microsoft basically grants itself very broad rights to collect everything you do, say and write with and on your devices in order to sell more targeted advertising or to sell your data to third parties.”

In many ways, however, Windows 10 is merely moving closer towards what has become the new normal thanks to mobile operating systems. Both Siri and Google Now require access to the user’s personal information to personalise responses, while both Apple and Google offer developers the ability to deliver personalised ads to users based on information such as app installs.

And some of the criticised settings may turn out to be a net positive for all concerned. Users have attacked Windows 10 for only offering two settings when it comes to Windows Update: either install and restart immediately, or install and ask permission to restart. The option to not install updates does not appear to be present on the base version of the OS. But that decision chimes with the advice of security experts, who say that the number one thing for staying safe online is to install every security update immediately.

Windows 10: it launched so quietly you may have missed it

Old Git John

Post by Old Git John »

Ten and a half hours in the end. However, it does look much better than 8.

Nick
Main Detector: Explorer SE

Post by Nick »

I turned all the privacy stuff off.

Start/settings/privacy.
I thought I was wrong once but I was mistaken

Puffin

Post by Puffin »

First attempt to download failed after 10 hours. Second took 7 hours to download and install. As with Nick I've turned off the privacy stuff.

Old Git John

Post by Old Git John »

Puffin wrote:First attempt to download failed after 10 hours. Second took 7 hours to download and install. As with Nick I've turned off the privacy stuff.

Like wise.

Puffin

Post by Puffin »

Return to “LATEST NEWS”