Such a shame when friends fall out

The place to find the latest news story . . .
you can make a comment if you wish!
Monkspath
meble kuchenne warszawa
Main Detector: X-Terra 705

Such a shame when friends fall out

Post by Monkspath »

http://www.express.co.uk/news/history/6 ... oman-coins

Pity they couldn't agree to share the credit for finding a Roman Horde of coins.
It looks like it'll all end in tears :g51:

Dave
Internet went down last night so I had to spend some time with the family.
They seem like good people.

Harry UP
Main Detector: E-trac

Re: Such a shame when friends fall out

Post by Harry UP »

So one fella found a couple of coins then walked away to detect somewhere else.
Then the second fella went over the spot and found the hoard.
Can't see any problem here; It's the second fellas hoard :g50:
Would love to know what detectors were being used... :g26:

pete

Post by pete »

Friends fall out over £8.000 :hahaha: he must of thought the horde was worth more at the time but :shock: after

if i was with a friend and found a horde i would share no question about it, don't matter if i was 1000 yards away from my friend, that's the hole point of going out with friend/s on a dig, not saying they should share the odd coin etc.

falling out over money is a route of all evil, would rather have a good friend than fall out over money any day.

money can not buy friendship :g45: , it can buy a mate :g58: ??

Old Git John
UKDN Valued Member and Platinum Supporter
Main Detector: SIMPLEX

Post by Old Git John »

Yes, it is a shame they fell out, over a relatively small hoard, by todays standards.

Perhaps they would not have done so, had the farmer exercised what rights he had.
I used to have an issue regarding having an inferiority complex, I no longer have an issue with being inferior.

pete

Post by pete »

Old Git John wrote:Yes, it is a shame they fell out, over a relatively small hoard, by todays standards.

Perhaps they would not have done so, had the farmer exercised what rights he had.
i think if it go's to court john none of the finders will benefit from it, it will go to the farmer as the land owner :g50:

Donnydave
UKDN Valued Member and Diamond Supporter
UKDN Valued Member and Diamond Supporter
Main Detector: XP Deus

Post by Donnydave »

It does,nt make sense they set off with nothing and ended up falling out, but maybe an agreement before hand would have avoided any nastiness :g43: Its a given than its 50%/50% with the landowner, unless he has already said he wants nothing :g43: But the next bits easy either agree to keep what you find, single items, and either agree to share valuable finds or keep them to yourself, or decide on value, keep under a certain value or share above a certain value. No sod it, just go out on your own :g58: simple :g42:

Old Git John

Post by Old Git John »

Donnydave wrote:It does,nt make sense they set off with nothing and ended up falling out, but maybe an agreement before hand would have avoided any nastiness :g43: Its a given than its 50%/50% with the landowner, unless he has already said he wants nothing :g43: But the next bits easy either agree to keep what you find, single items, and either agree to share valuable finds or keep them to yourself, or decide on value, keep under a certain value or share above a certain value. No sod it, just go out on your own :g58: simple :g42:

Well put Dave. I go out expecting nothing, if it happens that something is found, not matter what,
that is a bonus. The farmer/landowner and I always have an agreement, which is, like the
permission itself, verbal. This being because, as yet, I have never had a request for a written
contract when offered, quite the reverse in fact. However, the trust has to be built up from day one.
I used to have an issue regarding having an inferiority complex, I no longer have an issue with being inferior.

jcmaloney
UKDN Diamond Supporter and UKDN Magazine Contributor

Post by jcmaloney »

The first guy found 25-30 coins..... he has a hoard. Legally the second finder of 1,000+ coins is "by association" of the first find. And that will be the outcome and somebody won`t be happy. Hardly a life changing sum of money...... £8k split 50%/50% with landowner leaves them squabbling over the division of £4k.... I`ve got more sympathy with the guy who just wants his name on it!

splodge
UKDN Supporter - Silver
UKDN Supporter - Silver
Main Detector: deus

Post by splodge »

50/50 split every time I reckon.

Old Git John

Post by Old Git John »

splodge wrote:50/50 split every time I reckon.

The thing to remember is this. If more than one person is named as the finder, no matter how many names, and a Treasure pronouncement is made, the reward, if there be one, is based upon, it being devided fifty/fifty between the named finder/s and the farmer/landowner.

However, if the farmer is a tenant, then the landowner takes presidence, unless there is prior agreement between both which allows the tenant to receive any benefit which may result solely.

The first 50% would therefore be split between all named finders.

I am sure that JC, who is much more up to strength on the matter than I am, will give us a better interpretation of the law on such matters.

This is a very emotive subject which needs clarifying and publishing for all to see.

jcmaloney

Post by jcmaloney »

The first finder technically found a hoard (25-30 Roman coins). It will be easy to prove if the "bulk" was the same hoard and ALL the coins are associated. Sadly more exact detail would be needed, preferably facts & not newspaper reports.

Old Git John

Post by Old Git John »

jcmaloney wrote:The first finder technically found a hoard (25-30 Roman coins). It will be easy to prove if the "bulk" was the same hoard and ALL the coins are associated. Sadly more exact detail would be needed, preferably facts & not newspaper reports.
Good point John.

jcmaloney

Post by jcmaloney »

Had a read around... looks like the pot was clipped by ploughing & it was a club dig.
So chap one finds the "scattered 25-30"...then walks off seemingly without notifying anyone, such as the organiser, about his hoard.
Chap two comes along and digs the bulk.
Now had chap one told the organiser there would have been a different outcome if it was done properly.....mark off an area & invite in anyone with first finders agreement.

If this gets decided without legal redress then I would suggest that the outcome would be 50/50 with landowner and then something like a 98%/2% split of the finders 50% forced on the protagonists who have both contributed to the situation by acting like kids.

Return to “LATEST NEWS”