Bomb expert: Risk pipe mines still buried

The place to find the latest news story . . .
you can make a comment if you wish!
Puffin
UKDN Valued Member and Diamond Supporter
meble kuchenne warszawa
Main Detector: Mark one gray matter

Bomb expert: Risk pipe mines still buried

Post by Puffin »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-35565438

A former navy bomb disposal expert has warned that pipe mines, buried during WWII in airfields to prevent enemy invasion, could still be under buildings in Britain.
Many of the old airfields in East and South East England have been sold with the mines remaining underground. However in the 1980s, the Ministry of Defence attempted to remove them with Operation Crabstick.
As a result, 227 pipe mines were cleared up by 1989, 65 were identified but not removed. It is unknown how many remain.
Deus, XP GMP, CS 4Pi, Canon 450d, Garmin GPS, PAS Self Recorder.
Hamster Count 55. Then so far this year 0 to the Deus.
Denarius Count 7. Then so far this year 0.

Donnydave
Main Detector: XP Deus

Re: Bomb expert: Risk pipe mines still buried

Post by Donnydave »

I,ve detected a few old airfields, I did not realise they where so risky, found plenty of bullets, buttons and badges and a couple of those screws from the bottom of shells :shock:

Monkspath
Main Detector: X-Terra 705

Re: Bomb expert: Risk pipe mines still buried

Post by Monkspath »

A good post, thanks Puffin.

I remember using Ordnance Survey maps to checkout land shown as suitable for a Business Park development in a council planning document back in the 90's. It was marked on my map as a disused WW2 airfield. I visited the site and although it was very flat land all you could see was grass for miles. The farmer was grazing hundreds of sheep on it but I did notice a couple of brickbuilt single storey buildings in the middle of the open space which were being used as animal shelters.

I can imagine you could get a nasty shock if you detected on land like this so I would suggest all members should do some research on the history of the land before beginning a search.

I should point out that any disused airfields belonging to the MOD would need official permit anyway.

Be safe
Dave
Internet went down last night so I had to spend some time with the family.
They seem like good people.

Return to “LATEST NEWS”