Police raid nighthawks

The place to find the latest news story . . .
you can make a comment if you wish!
Baldric
Site Moderator - UKDN Supporter
meble kuchenne warszawa
Main Detector: XP DEUS

Police raid nighthawks

Post by Baldric »

On 18:30 BBC news south east, item on police raising nighthawker's in the first raid of it's kind.
Just because you are not paranoid, it does not mean that they are not out to get you

Troy Shadow X3, Shadow X5, XP ORX and now the DEUS 1

dig-it-pete
Finds Advisor & Moderator
Finds Advisor & Moderator
Main Detector: Manticore

Re: Police raid nighthawks

Post by dig-it-pete »

Well that is good news :g50:
Minelab Manticore

Owen williams422

Post by Owen williams422 »

There is a real big problem with that im afraid the police will take them away but thats it as it is a civil matter and bo farmer wants to pay out thousends for something like that the law needs to be changed im afraid

jpd1903
UKDN Supporter
Main Detector: XP Deus

Post by jpd1903 »

Owen williams422 wrote:There is a real big problem with that im afraid the police will take them away but thats it as it is a civil matter and bo farmer wants to pay out thousends for something like that the law needs to be changed im afraid
I don't think it's a civil matter if items are being taken or damage is being done - definitely criminal but can be hard to prove exactly where items came from unless they're caught red handed.
321 I'm back in the game (Jul18)

Bridex

Post by Bridex »

jpd1903 wrote:
Owen williams422 wrote:There is a real big problem with that im afraid the police will take them away but thats it as it is a civil matter and bo farmer wants to pay out thousends for something like that the law needs to be changed im afraid
I don't think it's a civil matter if items are being taken or damage is being done - definitely criminal but can be hard to prove exactly where items came from unless they're caught red handed.
Going equipped to steal - is a criminal offence and "equipment" = Metal detector, could be confiscated.
Now that would be a proper punishment!

Owen williams422

In case you have mistaken what i mean lol i mean the law needs to be changed in favour of the farmer!! Ie make it a criminal offence to tresspass with a detector etc,because the laws are not firm enough at present

jcmaloney
UKDN Diamond Supporter and UKDN Magazine Contributor

Post by jcmaloney »

Actually the law is more than sufficient, it is a criminal offence as Bridex said its "going equipped". Most forces now have a "Wildlife & Heritage" officer whose remit is to liaise across such crime from hare coursing to lead theft etc.
Once caught the options available in terms of punishment are wider than they used to be....from confiscation of equipment,finds, vehicles through to ASBO`s that prevent them even owning a detector.
A lot of organisations recognise the problem and have signed up to the Alliance to Reduce Heritage Crime (ARCH) https://content.historicengland.org.uk/ ... -sep13.pdf
Its as much about raising awareness as anything so that people know what to do & how and the Police can then act when there is a realistic chance of a conviction.
The NCMD signed up at Number 100 !

Old Git John
UKDN Valued Member and Platinum Supporter
Main Detector: SIMPLEX

Post by Old Git John »

Sadly, there is one thing which causes the police to think twice, before deciding which way to go. They have to rely on an outside body, who decide whether
there is sufficient evidence, to warrant a prosecution, the CPS. Many a time, and there will be officers on here who could confirm it, cast iron cases have
been turned down by the CPS.
Is it any wonder that when you add that issue to the one of "TICK BOX" crime complaint sheets, which tell an officer whether or not a call is actually severe
enough to even warrant following up, that nothing gets done. The hard pushed members of the police forces across the UK, are frustrated by rules which
they were trained to act upon, they now have to question, and then, place a tick in the right box, to make it look as though crime figure are actually falling.
I used to have an issue regarding having an inferiority complex, I no longer have an issue with being inferior.

Owen williams422

Thank you ogt somebody with some sense my point exactly,see how many hawkers have actually been prosicuted not many at all im afraid,its just not seen as a serious crime still

jcmaloney

Post by jcmaloney »

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/cr ... 70712.html

http://www.northantstelegraph.co.uk/new ... -1-4607765

http://www.cps.gov.uk/eastmidlands/news ... _detector/

Proportionately speaking that is a fair strike rate considering the vast majority of the hobby do things right.

There are, invariably, others....... but they will get caught and punished and thats where those who do it right can help with information.

Find out who your local Wildlife & Heritage Officer is and let them know. :g50:

MrBeasley

Post by MrBeasley »

It's a shame that the law can't be more straightforward. If the landowner has not given permission then it's trespass. If they have detectors then it is attempted theft at least. There is a detector sold on Amazon where the mood of the language is definitely suggesting it's a good machine for not being seen and it's rather disturbing the way it's promoted. Thankfully it's rubbish.

Owen williams422

Unfortunatly its the ppl that use the detector has the problem i posted evidence of this yesterday but the ukdn hierarchy removed it!! Weather your in a club a nmcd cardholder or your average jo just getting some exersize and finding some history there will always be ppl in those groups that are NOT honest They talk the talk but do the absolute opposite,its the same with most things theses days the dumb few ruin it for the genuine many!!!

Old Git John
Main Detector: SIMPLEX

Post by Old Git John »

Owen williams422 wrote:Unfortunatly its the ppl that use the detector has the problem i posted evidence of this yesterday but the ukdn hierarchy removed it!! Weather your in a club a nmcd cardholder or your average jo just getting some exersize and finding some history there will always be ppl in those groups that are NOT honest They talk the talk but do the absolute opposite,its the same with most things theses days the dumb few ruin it for the genuine many!!!

Owen, not quite sure of what you are trying to say here. Without knowing the content of the post you say was "removed", none of us can respond to it, so, you just have to assume that it was removed for what was considered a good reason.

You then go on to question the "honesty" of some people, but, unless you can qualify those accusations with absolute proof,
you could find yourself being landed with a court case for libel.

The fact is that, the vast majority of metal detector users are honest, law abiding folk who hate "hawkers", be they of the
day, or night variety. They are the criminals who we hate. Just be careful of what you say Owen, and think through what you want to say, before you say it. No offence intended mate.
I used to have an issue regarding having an inferiority complex, I no longer have an issue with being inferior.

Nige150
Registered User + UKDN Magazine Contributer
Main Detector: Fisher F75

Post by Nige150 »

Bridex wrote:
jpd1903 wrote:
Going equipped to steal - is a criminal offence and "equipment" = Metal detector, could be confiscated.
Now that would be a proper punishment!
The leader of a Surrey club was caught doing the same thing a few years back on a Romam site. His detector was confiscated but returned later to him, I believe. And they're allowed to still run a club. Unbelievable
Digging the past to save the future
2014 count: Hammereds 2 Roman bronzes 12
2015 count: Hammereds 1 Roman bronzes 11
2016 count: Hammereds 3 Roman bronzes 3

Owen williams422

The post that was removed was a snap of southern detwctorists forum that failed to gain permission then started openly chating beetween themselves about hawking it all these ppl are nmcd cardholders which i find quite funny

Return to “LATEST NEWS”