I found Roman coins worth £100,000...

The place to find the latest news story . . .
you can make a comment if you wish!
Brianmo
Site Owner and Creator
Site Owner and Creator
meble kuchenne warszawa
Main Detector: XP Deus

I found Roman coins worth £100,000...

Post by Brianmo »

I found Roman coins worth £100,000... 20 minutes after buying first metal detector: Novice unearths 'nationally significant' find during first treasure hunt

It's always nice to encounter a little beginners’ luck when you’re trying out a new hobby.

But if the phenomenon strikes on your inaugural treasure hunt, it can mean a significant payday.

Wesley Carrington was just 20 minutes into his first metal detecting trip when he unearthed a hoard of Roman gold coins estimated to be worth £100,000.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... z4XNNCOYxe
From Brian & Mo' Cross
Creators of UK DETECTOR NET FORUM
http://www.forumukdetectornet.co.uk

tomredmayne
Finds Advisor - UKDN Supporter - Diamond
Finds Advisor - UKDN Supporter - Diamond
Main Detector: XP Déus

Re: I found Roman coins worth £100,000...

Post by tomredmayne »

Why do journalists insist on quoting the estimated monetary value as a priority and use terms like "first treasure hunt" "inaugural treasure hunt" and "significant payday"?.....Oh, and once more the term Treasure Trove continues to be used (sounds better than just Treasure)........ :g44:

It also worries me that no mention was made about whether or not he had the landowner's permission to detect. It reads as if you can just buy a detector and tootle off to you local woods etc. and start detecting. It is also worrying that he only stopped digging them up because it got dark! No wonder our detractors pick up on these sort of reports and use them (quite rightly in cases like this) to prove that not all detectorists know of, or abide by, the code of conduct.

I know we would all love to make such a significant find, it would be out of this world, but this type of reporting really gives non-detectorists a perfectly clear image of us and our motivations........ :g45:

Self-recording with the PAS, it's worth the effort.........MY RECORDS

DISC ON PIN BUCKLES

splodge
UKDN Supporter - Silver
UKDN Supporter - Silver
Main Detector: deus

Re: I found Roman coins worth £100,000...

Post by splodge »

It would be interesting to know the archaeology with this find. Is it usual to find coins spanning several emperors and mints across the empire?

Return to “LATEST NEWS”