Joint meeting in stance against heritage crime

The place to find the latest news story . . .
you can make a comment if you wish!
oldfossil
meble kuchenne warszawa

Re: Joint meeting in stance against heritage crime

Post by oldfossil »

PhilD wrote:The problem with seeding is some machines can notch out a certain conductivity and others show a number which you can then ignore. So the seeding would have to take that into account ie multiple conductivities.

Use all the green waste :g42:
to be honest Phil it did cross my mind...

PhilD
UKDN Valued Member and Diamond Supporter
Main Detector: Makro Racer
Location: Saving North Yorks finds for future generations by recording with PAS

Post by PhilD »

I wonder if lots of metal would stop the geofizz fizzing?
Click here to register with PAS
Makro Racer / ATPro Inter / T2 / Explorer II / Ace 250 / Garrett Pro Pinpointer / Etrex 10 GPS /Lumix TZ60/PAS Records - Click here

oldfossil

Post by oldfossil »

PhilD wrote:I wonder if lots of metal would stop the geofizz fizzing?
Probably would but some of the sites I have in mind have been done to death by the geofizz ... and now they are being done to death by the fizzing night hawkers!! I have seen it myself, and a shocking mess was made.
I visited this site as a tourist about 2 years ago ...https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barbury_Castle
I've got the pics of the night hawking damage... you have to see it to believe it!

PhilD

Post by PhilD »

The Sussex police look to be trying to combat it with the latest technology lets hope the Wessex police and police in other counties do the same.
Makro Racer / ATPro Inter / T2 / Explorer II / Ace 250 / Garrett Pro Pinpointer / Etrex 10 GPS /Lumix TZ60/PAS Records - Click here

jcmaloney
UKDN Diamond Supporter and UKDN Magazine Contributor

Post by jcmaloney »

PhilD wrote:I wonder if lots of metal would stop the geofizz fizzing?
Yes it does. Dr James Gerrard from Newcastle University (who are running the Green Waste app & reporting tool!!) confirmed the same at the last NCMD OGM where he presented the issue very thoroughly & answered concerns raised about the app. :g50:

Hopefully there will be an update in the next issue of DD.

PhilD

Post by PhilD »

Thanks John :g50:

oldfossil

Post by oldfossil »

I think that there is definitely a case for seeding selected sites ... take Barbury castle which is a stones throw from the World heritage site of Avebury .. both places have been fizzed to exhaustion there is simply no more Geoing to do ... so why is it that tourists like myself have to be confronted with holes big enough to swallow a monolith? What is the solution? fence off the site, send out police patrols, or seed the site? The answer is a very very very simple one in my book. Wouldnt it be good if tectorists worked with Arch's to select sites for seeding ... and then spend a few hours seeding said sites for them.
Then lets take the case of farmer blogs... and I am on the front line, when it comes to preventing tresspass of farmland, like that is what I was doing this morning for 4 hours... that said if I were farmer Joe and I had repeated attacks from night hawkers on my land... I would go straight for the seeding root. Sorry folks but the security of my property, and getting a good night's sleep ... beats ANY amount of fizzing hands down. When theory meets reality, then its the quick, cheap, and lasting solutions that should be at the top of the list when considering solutions to heritage crime. They can produce all the leaflets they want, but when you get beams of light shooting flashing over your bedroom wall, the needs of the archi have zero consideration... thats how it is in the countryside.
Happy to post pics of Barbury castle if anyone wants to seem um, but I would urge the use of a stiff whisky and sun glasses!

PhilD

Post by PhilD »

What would you seed them with? a washer gives a fixed number they can ignore.

IronRon
UKDN Silver Supporter and UKDN Magazine Contributor
UKDN Silver Supporter and UKDN Magazine Contributor

Post by IronRon »

PhilD wrote:W. hat would you seed them with? a washer gives a fixed number they can ignore.
Good question phil. Seeding wouldn't work.. manufacturers would get around this.

Some of these sites have been systematically
dug for years bye amertuers. In 1939 I was evacuated to Wiltshire & lived with an old retired Victorian gentleman the local bigwig . who loved digging up the past ..he got us kids to help him in secret, to dig a roman villa which was located in woodland . We actually dug through the mosaic in our ignorance to collect tesserae.

It wasn't until years later when talking to an archaeologist that it had been an important villa. & he had been digging it for years .

oldfossil

Post by oldfossil »

PhilD wrote:What would you seed them with? a washer gives a fixed number they can ignore.
I am sure that we can come up with a suitable cocktail ... 4 holes buttons would be a starter ... and despite my boasting what I great detectorist I am ... I still dig um by the bucket load. As we all do.
I still have no takers for my night hawking pictures... It really isn't pretty!

oldfossil

Post by oldfossil »

IronRon wrote:
PhilD wrote:W. hat would you seed them with? a washer gives a fixed number they can ignore.
Good question phil. Seeding wouldn't work.. manufacturers would get around this.

Some of these sites have been systematically
dug for years bye amertuers. In 1939 I was evacuated to Wiltshire & lived with an old retired Victorian gentleman the local bigwig . who loved digging up the past ..he got us kids to help him in secret, to dig a roman villa which was located in woodland . We actually dug through the mosaic in our ignorance to collect tesserae.

It wasn't until years later when talking to an archaeologist that it had been an important villa. & he had been digging it for years .

Hi Ron ... so if seeding wouldn't work... what would be your blue sky solution? or should that be sky at night solution?

jcmaloney

Post by jcmaloney »

Simple solution........ teams of detectorists work the site in hand with archaeologists marking targets which can then be "surgically excavated" on uncultivated sites and recorded/documented.
No targets = no nighthawks. Its been done already in Norfolk (on ploughed land) and the result is more recorded knowledge and theft has stopped completely.

oldfossil

Post by oldfossil »

jcmaloney wrote:Simple solution........ teams of detectorists work the site in hand with archaeologists marking targets which can then be "surgically excavated" on uncultivated sites and recorded/documented.
No targets = no nighthawks. Its been done already in Norfolk (on ploughed land) and the result is more recorded knowledge and theft has stopped completely.

Nighthawkers target scheduled sites ... targets or no targets ... thats what they do ... they are mostly thick..
So seed sites that have been geofizzed to death ... and let the hawkers dig to their hearts content ... I assure you they will stop very quickly...
Seeding sites means that they get a signal every few swings ... even a complete idiot wouldnt detect those conditions ... so problem solved... What is the alternative??? You want the archis to let you dig Stonehenge? in your dreams me thinks :hahaha: :hahaha: :hahaha:

oldfossil

Post by oldfossil »

Any takers for the Barbury castle photos?

Harry UP
Main Detector: E-trac

Post by Harry UP »

oldfossil wrote:Any takers for the Barbury castle photos?
Me please :g50:

Return to “LATEST NEWS”