Joint meeting in stance against heritage crime

The place to find the latest news story . . .
you can make a comment if you wish!
PhilD
UKDN Valued Member and Diamond Supporter
meble kuchenne warszawa
Main Detector: Makro Racer
Location: Saving North Yorks finds for future generations by recording with PAS

Joint meeting in stance against heritage crime

Post by PhilD »

Sussex Police joined partners last week at Cissbury Ring to highlight the impact of heritage crime and unlawful metal detecting at the site...........

https://www.sussex.police.uk/news/joint ... age-crime/
Attachments
Screen Shot 03-11-17 at 10.11 AM.PNG
Screen Shot 03-11-17 at 10.11 AM.PNG (879.07 KiB) Viewed 12994 times
Click here to register with PAS
Makro Racer / ATPro Inter / T2 / Explorer II / Ace 250 / Garrett Pro Pinpointer / Etrex 10 GPS /Lumix TZ60/PAS Records - Click here

The Polecat

Re: Joint meeting in stance against heritage crime

Post by The Polecat »

If it can be proved detectorists are to blame for heritage crime on this site or others were no permission has been granted, if caught then a big fine and a jail sentence should apply .Sick to the back teeth with day and night hawks screwing up my Hobby.

PhilD

Post by PhilD »

:g58:

Sounds like they are thinking of using drones. They can cover a lot of land in a short time and take photo's for evidence.

They could then be arrested on site :g50:
Makro Racer / ATPro Inter / T2 / Explorer II / Ace 250 / Garrett Pro Pinpointer / Etrex 10 GPS /Lumix TZ60/PAS Records - Click here

oldfossil

Post by oldfossil »

The Polecat wrote:If it can be proved detectorists are to blame for heritage crime on this site or others were no permission has been granted, if caught then a big fine and a jail sentence should apply .Sick to the back teeth with day and night hawks screwing up my Hobby.
Forgive the pun... but you hit the nail on the head ... punitive sentencing means that the hawkers are given the green light to continue their criminal ways...Punitive sentencing actually encourages more people into night hawking...
Given that locking people up is a "no go" in the current climate other solutions should also be considered, Why waste valuable man hours chasing the criminals .... only to slap them on the wrist?
Why not consider seeding the sites ... its cheap, its quick, its effective and lasts for years.

Old Git John
UKDN Valued Member and Platinum Supporter
Main Detector: SIMPLEX

Post by Old Git John »

The Polecat wrote:If it can be proved detectorists are to blame for heritage crime on this site or others were no permission has been granted, if caught then a big fine and a jail sentence should apply .Sick to the back teeth with day and night hawks screwing up my Hobby.
Well said, they are a curse on the hobby.
I used to have an issue regarding having an inferiority complex, I no longer have an issue with being inferior.

Sunray
Main Detector: XP Deus

Post by Sunray »

:g51: I agree with the others on this ...

Although I must admit - [Being a n00b] :g56: I never knew this sort of thing happened before I read it here on the forums ...

* Restraint On ... :g10: Rat-bags :g6: ... Restraint Off *

lee greagsbey
Site Admin
Main Detector: Deus, CTX, Excalibur
Location: A Surrey coddiwomple exiled into East Hampshire working back in Surrey

Post by lee greagsbey »

Old Git John wrote:
Well said, they are a curse on the hobby.
I'll second that... :g58:
PhilD wrote::g58:

Sounds like they are thinking of using drones. They can cover a lot of land in a short time and take photo's for evidence.

They could then be arrested on site :g50:
Let's hope so, eh... :g50:
XP Deus V5.2
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Excalibur 1000
Garrett Pro Pointer
Makro Pointer
XP Mi-6 Pinpointer
NCMD

“Only the devil and I know the whereabouts of my treasure, and the one of us who lives the longest should take it all ” Edward Teach
{P:

PhilD

Post by PhilD »

More on the use of Police drones here;

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... inals.html

I think concerned landowners could patrol their land with them if they are suspicious?

The route could be pre programmed, it could check the land out for 20 minutes while the landowner watches TV.

Or they could just put up signs saying ''THIS LAND IS PATROLLED BY DRONES TRESPASSERS WILL BE CAUGHT''

https://www.dronezon.com/drone-reviews/ ... le-prices/

Old Git John
Main Detector: SIMPLEX

Post by Old Git John »

I would love to take on "night duty" on the project, armed with a police quality night sight,
and appropriate radio link. I have experience using both.
I used to have an issue regarding having an inferiority complex, I no longer have an issue with being inferior.

oldfossil

Post by oldfossil »

Old Git John wrote:I would love to take on "night duty" on the project, armed with a police quality night sight,
and appropriate radio link. I have experience using both.
Sounds like an episode straight out of keystone cops ... whack um with your truncheon and lock um up for life. :g18: :g18: :g18:
I would rather seed the site with washers ... and retire for a good nights sleep ... in the knowledge that the site is now safe for the next 100 years!! But sadly the powers that be seem only able to come up with strategies cribbed from a Boy's own annual!!!

Redfoot

Post by Redfoot »

Ironic the police say turning out for crimes of less than £100 is not a viable use of police time, this is just lip service and comes in a week when they are doubling speeding fines and points on drivers licences? humm the fines go direct to the Polices coffers which do you think they will be enforcing crimes which cost the forces money to investigate or crimes which will raise revenue for the forces? Law enforcement is now just a money making joke where many officers turn a blind eye to the select few while hammering joe public no be to long before we are back to the days when you can buy your own copper

Redfoot

Post by Redfoot »

Ironic the police say turning out for crimes of less than £100 is not a viable use of police time, this is just lip service and comes in a week when they are doubling speeding fines and points on drivers licences? humm the fines go direct to the Polices coffers which do you think they will be enforcing crimes which cost the forces money to investigate or crimes which will raise revenue for the forces? Law enforcement is now just a money making joke where many officers turn a blind eye to the select few while hammering joe public no be to long before we are back to the days when you can buy your own copper

oldfossil

Post by oldfossil »

Redfoot wrote:Ironic the police say turning out for crimes of less than £100 is not a viable use of police time, this is just lip service and comes in a week when they are doubling speeding fines and points on drivers licences? humm the fines go direct to the Polices coffers which do you think they will be enforcing crimes which cost the forces money to investigate or crimes which will raise revenue for the forces? Law enforcement is now just a money making joke where many officers turn a blind eye to the select few while hammering joe public no be to long before we are back to the days when you can buy your own copper
As todays events sadly highlight ... law enforcement have many many priorities; they have finite resources. So solutions that minimise the need for police to chase chancers round muddy fields ... surely have significant merit. As said previously.. lets spend a few quid to seed sites, so that police officers get on with the job of protecting lives. What do you think?

PhilD

Post by PhilD »

The problem with seeding is some machines can notch out a certain conductivity and others show a number which you can then ignore. So the seeding would have to take that into account ie multiple conductivities.

Use all the green waste :g42:

dig-it-pete
Finds Advisor & Moderator
Finds Advisor & Moderator
Main Detector: Manticore

Post by dig-it-pete »

Ha! Dump all the green waste on scheduled sites - that's the answer Phil :g50: Must suggest that to our FLO when I see her, I am sure she will be very impressed with that idea!! Shall I mention your name Phil :g43: :g42:

Actually it is not as daft as it sounds but far too simple an answer I am afraid to ever be adopted :g45:
Minelab Manticore

Return to “LATEST NEWS”