Happy Birthday Treasure Act

The place to find the latest news story . . .
you can make a comment if you wish!
meandmydreams
UKDN Valued Member and Diamond Supporter
UKDN Valued Member and Diamond Supporter
meble kuchenne warszawa
Main Detector: Deus and GMP

Happy Birthday Treasure Act

Post by meandmydreams »

In 1997 the Portable Antiquity Scheme launched in pilot areas of the country.. The scheme began its mission to encourage the public to record metal detector and chance finds from the last 300 years.
Since its inception, it has spawned a plethora of research projects and created an exceptional database of diverse finds from the British Isles (excluding Scotland). The database is looked upon with envy by many archaeological services overseas. We are now 20 years on and we can celebrate the schemes achievement with more than 1.25M finds recorded in the period since its inception. The scheme is funded from the public purse and although its budget has been cut, the PAS scheme has continued to adapt and to survive.

The Treasure Act was introduced at the same time, to add clarity and transcribe requirements to the statute books for how we declare potential treasure. Previously Treasure Trove existed (and still does in Scotland) but it was no longer considered fit for purpose and the new act was passed through parliament.
The introduction of the Treasure Act was considered controversial at the time with some archaeologists and especially the detecting fraternity. Some shared concerns for personal freedom and others felt they had a genuine grievance with how finds would be handled in the future. There are detractors who shunned the Treasure Act and recording with PAS then and they still do.

From a personal point of view, I believe we are temporary keepers of the things we find. Our time with them is inconsequential when you consider the time they spent in the ground. Before we depart this earth, we should all consider what will happen to our finds?
Recording on the PAS database gives provenance to our work and negates whatever happens to the finds thereafter. Recording places our finds in context and enriches the historical record of the area where they are found. Why do some choose simply choose not to record?
In my neck of the woods, the anniversary has not gone by unnoticed! Edwin Wood, the FLO for Sussex has put on a display to celebrate 20 years of PAS and the Treasure Act. Edwin requested some of mine and some of Midhurst's finds to include in the display at the Barbican Museum in Lewes, next to the castle.

The museum is well worth a visit!

Happy Birthday PAS and the Treasure Act!

meandmydreams
Attachments
IMG_3964a.jpg
IMG_3964a.jpg (568.06 KiB) Viewed 3596 times
This is a link to my publicly available finds on the PAS Database http://finds.org.uk/database/search/res ... 1B63D0139E

tomredmayne
Finds Advisor - UKDN Supporter - Diamond
Finds Advisor - UKDN Supporter - Diamond
Main Detector: XP Déus

Re: Happy Birthday Treasure Act

Post by tomredmayne »

Nicely put Clive and a great post. Thanks....... :g38:

Self-recording with the PAS, it's worth the effort.........MY RECORDS

DISC ON PIN BUCKLES

Return to “LATEST NEWS”