'nighthawks' target historic Corbridge site

The place to find the latest news story . . .
you can make a comment if you wish!
Baldric
Site Moderator - UKDN Supporter
meble kuchenne warszawa
Main Detector: XP DEUS

'nighthawks' target historic Corbridge site

Post by Baldric »

So-called metal detector "nighthawks" have damaged a Roman site in Northumberland.
The illegal treasure hunters have been targeting remains close to Corbridge.
Click Here
Just because you are not paranoid, it does not mean that they are not out to get you

Troy Shadow X3, Shadow X5, XP ORX and now the DEUS 1

dig-it-pete
Finds Advisor & Moderator
Finds Advisor & Moderator
Main Detector: Manticore

Re: 'nighthawks' target historic Corbridge site

Post by dig-it-pete »

Very sad - I was a bit surprised by the comment - "We're assuming they've retrieved considerable amounts of Roman artefacts, such as coins or any metallic domestic items" When they have absolutely no idea what has been retrieved.
Perhaps they should have allowed a local club to dig that field (with the relevant permissions) and then hand over all items recovered to the BM. Then at least they could be pretty sure there would not be much left for the illegal night detectorist?
Minelab Manticore

Old Git John
UKDN Valued Member and Platinum Supporter
UKDN Valued Member and Platinum Supporter
Main Detector: SIMPLEX

Post by Old Git John »

A very good post Pete, but, how the hell are we ever going to police such things without proper back up.

We all know that this is an evil occurance, and we all know that it is hard to monitor. It really does come down to what we can do to shop these bar stewards.
I used to have an issue regarding having an inferiority complex, I no longer have an issue with being inferior.

weldbuzz
Main Detector: C Scope 3 MXi Pro

Post by weldbuzz »

Saw it on our local Teletext on BBC as i live in Northumberland, hope the nighthawkers just got a load of crap. I know of one nighthawker who lives not far from the sight but no proof it was him.

Kgbow
Main Detector: XP Deus

Post by Kgbow »

One of my permissions had a couple of "nighthawks" on recently, seen by the neighbour. They called me to ask if it was me. I'm the only person allowed so far on this permission so I called him and he responded...

I called in the next day and he said he handled it. Only to be told later by his wife that he went with the quad, dog and shotgun. So that's that. I presume they will never be back. He didn't seem annoyed at any of it, I was more concerned that he'd start to feel uncomfortable with me on his fields.

It really p***** me off that these people think they can just do this and get away with it. So I hope there will be a way.... One day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Western Wanderers - Founder & Member.

"ab antiquo"

Return to “LATEST NEWS”