20 years of treasure lecture by Michael Lewis

The place to find the latest news story . . .
you can make a comment if you wish!
PhilD
UKDN Valued Member and Diamond Supporter
meble kuchenne warszawa
Main Detector: Makro Racer
Location: Saving North Yorks finds for future generations by recording with PAS

20 years of treasure lecture by Michael Lewis

Post by PhilD »

Link to the latest BM/PAS video;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bN3ovn5 ... e=youtu.be

Looks like PAS will no longer be recording finds at commercial rallies which is a pity as they are a good place to recruit newcomers to the hobby and those who have not heard of PAS.
Click here to register with PAS
Makro Racer / ATPro Inter / T2 / Explorer II / Ace 250 / Garrett Pro Pinpointer / Etrex 10 GPS /Lumix TZ60/PAS Records - Click here

dig-it-pete
Finds Advisor & Moderator
Main Detector: Manticore

Re: 20 years of treasure lecture by Michael Lewis

Post by dig-it-pete »

What an excellent talk by Michael Lewis :g38: :g50: Thanks for posting Phil.
Minelab Manticore

PhilD

Post by PhilD »

Cheers Pete :g50:

I notice Michael mentions clearing up the confusion of who to report treasure finds to - the Coroner or the FLO as we know the FLO is willing to pass reports onto the coroner but the wording on the treasure act and PAS site says to the coroner or else.
Makro Racer / ATPro Inter / T2 / Explorer II / Ace 250 / Garrett Pro Pinpointer / Etrex 10 GPS /Lumix TZ60/PAS Records - Click here

dig-it-pete

Post by dig-it-pete »

PhilD wrote:Cheers Pete :g50:

I notice Michael mentions clearing up the confusion of who to report treasure finds to - the Coroner or the FLO as we know the FLO is willing to pass reports onto the coroner but the wording on the treasure act and PAS site says to the coroner or else.
Yes our club has been having this debate with our FLO for some time regarding the actual wording of the treasure act, I think Michael also mentions that it does not state anywhere that the treasure item actually has to be handed over but just reported to the Coroner within 14 days of finding? Or am I confused again? I think changes to the act are long overdue just to clear up the confusion.
Minelab Manticore

PhilD

Post by PhilD »

The FLO has to write a report on the find to give to the coroner.

Process on this link;

https://finds.org.uk/treasure/advice/descriptive-report

PhilD

Post by PhilD »

No doubt the flow chart on page 142 of the treasure act will need updating too;

https://finds.org.uk/documents/treasure_act.pdf

meandmydreams
Main Detector: Deus and GMP

Post by meandmydreams »

The treasure process does require declaration of finds and then the FLO should in my view take charge of the object for safe keeping.
This is a link to my publicly available finds on the PAS Database http://finds.org.uk/database/search/res ... 1B63D0139E

jcmaloney
UKDN Diamond Supporter and UKDN Magazine Contributor

Post by jcmaloney »

Couple of points:
1.Michael can`t change the Treasure Act..... its law and needs to go for consultation and to Parliament. I would support a "Treasure Coroner" as did the NCMD at the last review.
2.Commercial rallies........ something has to happen, I can see why PAS won`t/can`t support them.........however there needs to be middle ground found or there is the chance genuine club outings will get scooped up in the mix.

dig-it-pete

Post by dig-it-pete »

jcmaloney wrote:Couple of points:
1.Michael can`t change the Treasure Act..... its law and needs to go for consultation and to Parliament. I would support a "Treasure Coroner" as did the NCMD at the last review.
2.Commercial rallies........ something has to happen, I can see why PAS won`t/can`t support them.........however there needs to be middle ground found or there is the chance genuine club outings will get scooped up in the mix.
Hi John - what would a 'treasure coroner's' duties be if different from what already exists please. Do you think we have too many people already involved with reporting treasure items, with the FLO, the Coroner and the BM all having a part to play? Also is it about time they started to use digital technology i.e.sending emails to recipients, rather than sending our hand written envelopes and typed letters from the BM? (I once had 3 hand written envelopes for 3 separate treasure items one morning!) :g69:
Minelab Manticore

jcmaloney

Post by jcmaloney »

A treasurer coroner would sit at the BM and would only deal with Treasure, that relieves the "workload" on local coroners who have serious stuff to deal with, hence the "bundling" of Treasure cases once a month or much less frequently.

So.... perfect world & subject to law changes.

1.The "14 days" is amended to a sensible time frame to allow finder, if they wish, to acquire independent valuations. 60 days makes more sense.
2. Finder takes find to FLO who does the admin/paperwork/Issues Treasure Tracking Number.
3. FLO takes legal & financial responsibility for the find. Most FLO`s visit the Central Office at least bi-monthly.
4. Find goes to BM where Treasure Coroner sits.
5. Declared Treasure or not.
6. Normal TVC/Acquisition process carries on.

Could all be digitised on a Treasure tracking System with supporting documents attached etc.
The hardest bit to resolve as ever is funding...... Coroners are funded by the Ministry of Justice, BM/PAS/FLO by the DCMS.
Likewise FLO`s have no "legal status" hence the current anomaly that the finder must report to the coroner and cannot legally pass the responsibility to a third party.
I know, practically, this is often ignored but the law has no grey....its black or white, yes or no. :g50:

dig-it-pete

Post by dig-it-pete »

jcmaloney wrote:A treasurer coroner would sit at the BM and would only deal with Treasure, that relieves the "workload" on local coroners who have serious stuff to deal with, hence the "bundling" of Treasure cases once a month or much less frequently.

So.... perfect world & subject to law changes.

1.The "14 days" is amended to a sensible time frame to allow finder, if they wish, to acquire independent valuations. 60 days makes more sense.
2. Finder takes find to FLO who does the admin/paperwork/Issues Treasure Tracking Number.
3. FLO takes legal & financial responsibility for the find. Most FLO`s visit the Central Office at least bi-monthly.
4. Find goes to BM where Treasure Coroner sits.
5. Declared Treasure or not.
6. Normal TVC/Acquisition process carries on.

Could all be digitised on a Treasure tracking System with supporting documents attached etc.
The hardest bit to resolve as ever is funding...... Coroners are funded by the Ministry of Justice, BM/PAS/FLO by the DCMS.
Likewise FLO`s have no "legal status" hence the current anomaly that the finder must report to the coroner and cannot legally pass the responsibility to a third party.
I know, practically, this is often ignored but the law has no grey....its black or white, yes or no. :g50:
Thanks for explaining it to me John. What you have put forward as suggestions all seems to make sense to me and I would have thought to the Coroner too.

Do you think there is any chance that they will be looking to change/update the treasure act in the near future?
Minelab Manticore

jcmaloney

Post by jcmaloney »

I would say its high on the radar....... after the niggles in the CoP are ironed out, after that it will be a "Rally CoP".... that will be interesting especially with all the "Cash Clubs" on social media etc....... then it will be a Treasure Act review once all that Brexit lark is out of the way.

What "we" (as a hobby) must be wary of is any attempts to slip something through, with a very short consultation period, in any gaps people may find in Parliamentary time.

Return to “LATEST NEWS”