Looters suspected of raiding Castle Hill...

The place to find the latest news story . . .
you can make a comment if you wish!
Old Git John
UKDN Valued Member and Platinum Supporter
meble kuchenne warszawa
Main Detector: SIMPLEX

Re: Looters suspected of raiding Castle Hill...

Post by Old Git John »

The investigation of many crimes relies on initial speculation, from which comes evidence, leading on to arrest, court appearance, conviction.

Long time consuming hard work by dedicated people whose sworn aim is to uphold the peace.

For those who have never been involved it is very much a thankless task, but one which does mean that the likes of us can enjoy a large amount of our lives.

Let's not decry what they do.

I am NOT saying that any person contributing to this thread has done so, merely asking folk to think about how they express their thoughts.
I used to have an issue regarding having an inferiority complex, I no longer have an issue with being inferior.

Beaumont

Post by Beaumont »

I agree. This is just too neat and tidy to have been perpetrated by 'nighthawkers' Something decidedly fishy here. Nobody carries sacks to put clumps of turf in

ageezer
UKDN Supporter - Bronze
UKDN Supporter - Bronze
Main Detector: deus /nokta pointer

Post by ageezer »

looks more like a mini sinkhole.. no person could dig such a clean hole with not a spot of lose soil anywhere ..very suspect in my opinion

ageezer
UKDN Supporter - Bronze
UKDN Supporter - Bronze
Main Detector: deus /nokta pointer

Post by ageezer »

it could be a site of a post hole or a marker stone was removed ..that when i have seen similar holes as this clean hole

Old Git John

Post by Old Git John »

ageezer wrote:it could be a site of a post hole or a marker stone was removed ..that when i have seen similar holes as this clean hole

Too shallow for a post hole, and there is a small amount of soil visible to the bottom side of the hole.

I know a person who readily admits to "hawking" and stated that they carry bags in which
to get rid of soil. I agree that the flat bottom looks odd, but, it is possible that whatever was taken out, was not very deep, and lay flat at the bottom. :g44:
I used to have an issue regarding having an inferiority complex, I no longer have an issue with being inferior.

jcmaloney
UKDN Diamond Supporter and UKDN Magazine Contributor

Post by jcmaloney »

Old Git John wrote:
ageezer wrote:it could be a site of a post hole or a marker stone was removed ..that when i have seen similar holes as this clean hole

Too shallow for a post hole, and there is a small amount of soil visible to the bottom side of the hole.

I know a person who readily admits to "hawking" and stated that they carry bags in which
to get rid of soil. I agree that the flat bottom looks odd, but, it is possible that whatever was taken out, was not very deep, and lay flat at the bottom. :g44:
So report them.
If you do nothing then you are condoning their actions by default.
If I found any of our club members or guests were openly admitting to theft I would report them.

Old Git John

Post by Old Git John »

Please don't assume John. I did as soon as possible after I was told. Like you, I hate hawkers
with a vengeance, and feel that the time to do something about the problem is long overdue.
I have stated several times in the past, WE ARE OUR OWN WORST ENEMY

jcmaloney

Post by jcmaloney »

Lack of education is our enemy, all retailers should be compelled to provide a copy of the Code of Conduct and tell every customer about gaining permission.
The downside to that is the retailer may lose a few sales & it doesn`t cover the second hand market.
Aside from that..................... licences.

The Polecat

Post by The Polecat »

Night hawks should be jailed,but who did this? holes a few inches deep were is the turf and all the soil I know you can see a small amount of soil in the picture need more evidence,think about it nighthawks digging neat holes,only shallow at that,when I have come across night hawk work its a bloody mess holes everywhere soil thrown all over the place it does not quite add up,it won't be the first time the hobby has been put in a bad light by those who want to stop it.You need more proof.

Old Git John

Post by Old Git John »

jcmaloney wrote:Lack of education is our enemy, all retailers should be compelled to provide a copy of the Code of Conduct and tell every customer about gaining permission.
The downside to that is the retailer may lose a few sales & it doesn`t cover the second hand market.
Aside from that..................... licences.

Education starts AT HOME, you cannot just throw the responsibility into someone else's
back yard. It sounds like you blame the "retailers", but why ?
Should the onus, going by your ?logic?, not be with the manufacturers, who could easily add appropriate advice at the beginning of every instruction manual.
Or, at the very least, include the information on a separate leaflet in the box.

However, the onus is actually us, the parents, the mature detectorists, the club members and their committees, not doubt others could add to this list. Arguing against doing something
is as bad as condoning what Hawkers do.

NCMD got it right, and as far as I know FID give advice on responsible detecting.

Get away from living in a NIMBY society, which makes noises, but does nothing constructive,
and this great hobby may get somewhere. :g58: :g58: :g58:

PhilD
UKDN Valued Member and Diamond Supporter
UKDN Valued Member and Diamond Supporter
Main Detector: Makro Racer
Location: Saving North Yorks finds for future generations by recording with PAS

Post by PhilD »

I think a label stuck on new and second hand detectors either by the manufacturer or dealer would at least make people aware and would travel with the machine to make other owners aware;
Attachments
Detector Label.jpg
Detector Label.jpg (36.26 KiB) Viewed 9953 times
Click here to register with PAS
Makro Racer / ATPro Inter / T2 / Explorer II / Ace 250 / Garrett Pro Pinpointer / Etrex 10 GPS /Lumix TZ60/PAS Records - Click here

Old Git John

Post by Old Git John »

PhilD wrote:I think a label stuck on new and second hand detectors either by the manufacturer or dealer would at least make people aware and would travel with the machine to make other owners aware;

Phil, this is a brilliant post, to which I whole heartedly agree, short and simple.
I would also like it to be in the manual. Thank you for posting this though. :g50: :g38: :g38:

The Polecat

Post by The Polecat »

Thinking about education and detecting all dealers should give out a infomation pack containing The NCMD code of conduct,a list of all clubs people can join ,PAS info and a beginners guide to metal detecting.I have seen people go into dealers buy the gear and have not got much idea or clue were to go detecting.

Old Git John

Post by Old Git John »

The Polecat wrote:Thinking about education and detecting all dealers should give out a infomation pack containing The NCMD code of conduct,a list of all clubs people can join ,PAS info and a beginners guide to metal detecting.I have seen people go into dealers buy the gear and have not got much idea or clue were to go detecting.

You have to be careful about how much we ask them to add to the box. A good idea, but ideas come at a cost, and you will end up with certain "professional" complainers just having
a louder go, just for the hell of doing so. :g58:

Return to “LATEST NEWS”