More treasure-hunters could be forced to hand over

The place to find the latest news story . . .
you can make a comment if you wish!
PhilD
UKDN Valued Member and Diamond Supporter
meble kuchenne warszawa
Main Detector: Makro Racer
Location: Saving North Yorks finds for future generations by recording with PAS

Re: More treasure-hunters could be forced to hand over

Post by PhilD »

Doesn't that page nine refer to what was said back in the day?
Click here to register with PAS
Makro Racer / ATPro Inter / T2 / Explorer II / Ace 250 / Garrett Pro Pinpointer / Etrex 10 GPS /Lumix TZ60/PAS Records - Click here

lee greagsbey
Site Admin
Main Detector: Deus, CTX, Excalibur
Location: A Surrey coddiwomple exiled into East Hampshire working back in Surrey

Post by lee greagsbey »

PhilD wrote:Doesn't that page nine refer to what was said back in the day?
It could be I assumed it now present thinking... now I don't really know.. :g43:
XP Deus V5.2
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Excalibur 1000
Garrett Pro Pointer
Makro Pointer
XP Mi-6 Pinpointer
NCMD

“Only the devil and I know the whereabouts of my treasure, and the one of us who lives the longest should take it all ” Edward Teach
{P:

PhilD

Post by PhilD »

Yes it's a few pages on the early history 1978-82.

Circumstances are different since the PAS and the COP appeared on the scene.
Makro Racer / ATPro Inter / T2 / Explorer II / Ace 250 / Garrett Pro Pinpointer / Etrex 10 GPS /Lumix TZ60/PAS Records - Click here

IronRon
UKDN Silver Supporter and UKDN Magazine Contributor
UKDN Silver Supporter and UKDN Magazine Contributor

Post by IronRon »

lee greagsbey wrote:I am interested in what you remember about the 70's licencing IR... was it limited numbers back in the day then? Was it on a yearly renewal bases? And ideas why Thatcher got rid of it? Sorry with all the questions I am interested...

Like you have said I and I have said in earlier posts I cant see it happening the administration and to police it would be near enough impossible and now the NCMD put out a statement on page 9 of issue 26 digging deep
Rejecting the idea of the re-introduction of detector licences.
Licensing didn't last long before thatcher got rid of it . She thought it was a great idea that pensioners could go out & help out their pensions by finding a few bits & pieces..I surpose at the time it was looked apon as a harmless hobby by her ..

lee greagsbey
Site Admin
Location: A Surrey coddiwomple exiled into East Hampshire working back in Surrey

Post by lee greagsbey »

PhilD wrote:Yes it's a few pages on the early history 1978-82.

Thanks for keeping me updated and on the same path as everyone else... :g50: as looks like I got a little confused!
XP Deus V5.2
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Excalibur 1000
Garrett Pro Pointer
Makro Pointer
XP Mi-6 Pinpointer
NCMD

“Only the devil and I know the whereabouts of my treasure, and the one of us who lives the longest should take it all ” Edward Teach
{P:

lee greagsbey
Site Admin

Post by lee greagsbey »

IronRon wrote:
lee greagsbey wrote:I am interested in what you remember about the 70's licencing IR... was it limited numbers back in the day then? Was it on a yearly renewal bases? And ideas why Thatcher got rid of it? Sorry with all the questions I am interested...

Like you have said I and I have said in earlier posts I cant see it happening the administration and to police it would be near enough impossible and now the NCMD put out a statement on page 9 of issue 26 digging deep
Rejecting the idea of the re-introduction of detector licences.
Licensing didn't last long before thatcher got rid of it . She thought it was a great idea that pensioners could go out & help out their pensions by finding a few bits & pieces..I surpose at the time it was looked apon as a harmless hobby by her ..
:g50:
XP Deus V5.2
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Excalibur 1000
Garrett Pro Pointer
Makro Pointer
XP Mi-6 Pinpointer
NCMD

{P:

PhilD

Post by PhilD »

lee greagsbey wrote:
PhilD wrote:Yes it's a few pages on the early history 1978-82.

Thanks for keeping me updated and on the same path as everyone else... :g50: as looks like I got a little confused!
I was confised myself when I first read it, it was only when I re read it and noticed John Howland was the Secretary that the penny dropped :g50:

Donnydave
Main Detector: XP Deus

Post by Donnydave »

If I remember correctly the old licence was something like 50p from the post office and was some sort of radio transmitting licence or something daft like that :g42:

lee greagsbey
Site Admin

Post by lee greagsbey »

Donnydave wrote:If I remember correctly the old licence was something like 50p from the post office and was some sort of radio transmitting licence or something daft like that :g42:
Thanks Donny... :g50: I recall hearing or reading somewhere sadly i dont remember where, that the old detector licences were actually some kind of radio transmitter licence.... I didn't know the price though so thank you for your information... :g50:
XP Deus V5.2
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Excalibur 1000
Garrett Pro Pointer
Makro Pointer
XP Mi-6 Pinpointer
NCMD

{P:

PhilD

Post by PhilD »

One of the main problems in the hobby is caused by many detectors being bought without the retailer or private seller informing the buyer of the importance of the PAS, the COP, the NCMD, Clubs, that landowners permission to detect is required on all land, that there are no go areas etc.

So off they go to learn the slow and the hard way, and mistakes along the way are inevitable.

Retailers are a very important link in the chain, who in my opinion are not being outreached to by the PAS, who I think need to step it up.

This should hopefully all change if proof of a licence is required in order to purchase a detector.

Ghost
UKDN Valued Member

Post by Ghost »

lee greagsbey wrote:
JBM wrote:The problem as I see it will be finds currently being declared going unrecorded and sold off in the black market. :g58: :g48: Jerry.
Very true Jerry... but I wonder how much of that goes on already... :g43:
It always has and always will be , personally seen better items coming from the back door than that are on display inside .
It’s not just museums either, also very well known archeological sites
If u believe.,look 2 the dawn and u will know that i'm watching and waiting for the time when we'll always b together...There can be only one..IXOYE

PhilD

Post by PhilD »

We probably won't end up with this type of permit but out of interest this is how the permit to detect the Thames foreshore works;

First take out a 'standard' permit
Adult cost £80 valid for 3 years
Max digging depth 7.5 cm

The Museum of London {PAS} will, by 1st March each year, provide the PLA with a summary of the finds reported over the previous year, including details of the finder and where located. The information will provide the PLA with the information it requires to confirm the individual permit holders are reporting any finds they may make. The PLA may use this information when considering an application to renew a permit.

After 2 years become a member of the Thames Mudlark Society and apply for a 'mudlark' permit.
Cost £85 valid for 3 years
Max digging depth 1.2 Metres.

The Museum of London {PAS} will, by 1st March each year, provide the PLA with a summary of the finds reported over the previous year, including details of the finder and where located. The information will provide the PLA with the information it requires to confirm the individual permit holders are reporting any finds they may make. The PLA may use this information when considering an application to renew a permit.

https://www.pla.co.uk/Environment/Thame ... nd-digging

The above could work in fields and beaches if you;
Forget the mudlark permit, just have a standard permit.
Change the depth to not to excavate into the hard pack sub surface of fields and beaches.
Add the terms and conditions.
Change the PLA to a new body who would issue and monitor the permits.
The landowner would need to police who he lets on his land by seeing the permit card(s)

roxy

Post by roxy »

Is this a Joke

7.5 cm is 3 and 1/2"

Tell you what, why not just put forward/suggest that we only dig 25mm

A JCB digs 3 mtrs down on a building site/green field site

The Polecat

Post by The Polecat »

lee greagsbey wrote:Could be related to this...

"Revising the definition of treasure in the Treasure Act 1996 and revising the related codes of practice"

https://www.gov.uk/government/consultat ... f-practice
Yes this is the link,thanks for putting it up.

kev woodward
Site Admin
Main Detector: XP Deus 1

Post by kev woodward »

Licences will never work and will only penalise the law abiding in the hobby. I fail to see how or why people seem to think they will stop the criminal fraternity from using detectors?
I have become comfortably numb

Return to “LATEST NEWS”