henry coles treasure hunt at studely castle

The place to find the latest news story . . .
you can make a comment if you wish!
ageezer
UKDN Supporter - Bronze
UKDN Supporter - Bronze
meble kuchenne warszawa
Main Detector: deus /nokta pointer

Re: henry coles treasure hunt at studely castle

Post by ageezer »

finds were measley ,,reminded me of time team digs at rich castles and palaces where they found diddlysquat too
richmond palace ,wolseys tower ,greenwich palace had nothing to be found ,big deep holes were dug
think the owners of the castle maybe sponsoring an app ,hence their approval to dig
think they gave a balanced view of finds
a reality check for all diggers

lee greagsbey
Site Admin
Main Detector: Deus, CTX, Excalibur
Location: A Surrey coddiwomple exiled into East Hampshire working back in Surrey

Post by lee greagsbey »

dig-it-pete wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 7:49 am Well Lee I think you can get the gist of it now from the above comments - you didn't miss a lot :g45:
Cheers Pete and everyone else, so seems like me gut feeling to give it a miss was the right way to go then... :g58: :g50:
XP Deus V5.2
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Excalibur 1000
Garrett Pro Pointer
Makro Pointer
XP Mi-6 Pinpointer
NCMD

“Only the devil and I know the whereabouts of my treasure, and the one of us who lives the longest should take it all ” Edward Teach
{P:

Alan UK
UKDN Supporter - Diamond
UKDN Supporter - Diamond

Post by Alan UK »

Detecting conditions were not good but I was surprised at the poor technique used by some of the detectorists - swinging too fast and not level to the ground. :g56:

shaggybfc
UKDN Supporter - Gold
UKDN Supporter - Gold
Main Detector: Deus on X35 coils

Post by shaggybfc »

Obby wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 8:13 am The young lady from NCMD really does need to brush up on her dates if she is going to give out information - Henry VII died in the 1500s - not around in the 1600s !!!!

:g51:
just to defend the 'young lady' (and she'd be delighted you said this), from the NCMD. Like all TV programmes, there are several takes for every shoot. She was a little nervous and flustered over the dates / detail... but corrected herself, but the correct clip was not used.

For me, it is a very poor production. It would of benefited from having someone that was an actual detectorist review the cut before it was finalised... something I suspect the people in it didn't get to see.
Henry Cole is a complete doorknob. I'd have preferred Mackenzie Crook presenting it - he detects and could have brought genuine humour to the show. In a way, I'm glad it was awful, as it'll probably never make it to a second season.

strapenddave
Consortium Member
Consortium Member

Post by strapenddave »

I agree with the vast majority of comments above. I was particularly surprised at the lack of decent finds given the history of the location. This then gets you wondering how archaeologists arrive at the large numbers of historical finds thought to have been plundered by nighthawks. I don't condone nighthawking but this show indicates in reality just how few finds there are to be made.

Baldric
Site Moderator - UKDN Supporter
Main Detector: XP DEUS

Post by Baldric »

coreservers wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 3:08 am supposed experts getting basic stuff wrong too.... Henry 7th "around `1600".. plumbing fittings, was actually a barrel tap. and.. £50-60 for a few roman grots.. utter car crash program
Hear hear, total load of crap. Unfortunately typical of todays TV.
Just because you are not paranoid, it does not mean that they are not out to get you

Troy Shadow X3, Shadow X5, XP ORX and now the DEUS 1

Baldric
Site Moderator - UKDN Supporter
Main Detector: XP DEUS

Post by Baldric »

Alan UK wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 11:37 am Detecting conditions were not good but I was surprised at the poor technique used by some of the detectorists - swinging too fast and not level to the ground. :g56:
I noticed that too, one of the pair of girls had her coil at about 30 degrees to the ground, no chance of getting a good signal that way, especially with dry ground.
Just because you are not paranoid, it does not mean that they are not out to get you

Troy Shadow X3, Shadow X5, XP ORX and now the DEUS 1

john winter
UKDN Valued Member and Diamond Supporter
UKDN Valued Member and Diamond Supporter

Post by john winter »

So much anticipation, but not enjoyable.
That was the pilot . . . the landing might be bumpy

Ghost
UKDN Valued Member

Post by Ghost »

Dont panic John, ive offered my services for the next episodes :g50:

Just hope thier bleep machine works ok :g42:
If u believe.,look 2 the dawn and u will know that i'm watching and waiting for the time when we'll always b together...There can be only one..IXOYE

coreservers
Technical Administrator and UKDN Supporter
Technical Administrator and UKDN Supporter
Main Detector: Equinox 800

Post by coreservers »

Both Jen and I said when we saw the dig locations... there may have been a saxon village there, but its all ornamental gardens now. there will be 2-3 feet of top soil at least. and claiming that pressed copper thing to be medieval. any detectorist would have seen that was 1910 1920 ish. probably a hair slide.
utter garbage from start to finish
Minelab Equinox 800
How many Microsoft employees does it take to change a lightbulb? None, Bill Gates just makes darkness the industry standard

Peter D. Spencer

Post by Peter D. Spencer »

The most shocking thing for me was the very dry state of the soil. No detectorist should ever dig into pasture as dry as it was during this programme.

dig-it-pete
Finds Advisor & Moderator
Finds Advisor & Moderator
Main Detector: Manticore

Post by dig-it-pete »

Baldric wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 12:35 pm
dig-it-pete wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 11:15 pm I thought that this piece was an interesting and honest summing up of the programme...

http://thepipeline.info/blog/2020/12/09 ... 1sfKW5NPPo
The link takes you a website riddled with malware Etc. be careful, my anti-virus and malware software prevented me from accessing it.
Thanks Baldric - I have now deleted the post. I did not have any issues with it though? Suggest you do the same as the link is still showing on your post :g50:
Minelab Manticore

Return to “LATEST NEWS”