Bronze Age hoard from Berwick

The place to find the latest news story . . .
you can make a comment if you wish!
Son of the sands
UKDN Valued Member and Diamond Supporter
UKDN Valued Member and Diamond Supporter
meble kuchenne warszawa
Main Detector: Minelab CTX 3030

Bronze Age hoard from Berwick

Post by Son of the sands »

A metal-detecting novice who unearthed an "extremely important" hoard of Bronze Age artefacts has said his discovery was due to "sheer luck".

Full story
A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kickboxing.

james1969

ruined

Post by james1969 »

He may as well give up now as it'll be Georgian pennies from now on! :lol:

bertmarshall

Post by bertmarshall »

it said the the daily mail today that the finder will not get a reward!. anyone know why?

Dino - UK
Registered User + UKDN Magazine Contributer
Main Detector: CTX3030, Dual field

Post by Dino - UK »

bertmarshall wrote:it said the the daily mail today that the finder will not get a reward!. anyone know why?
Perhaps he didn't have permission. :)
Me? I'm perfectly balanced...got a chip on both shoulders!

Minelab CTX3030, GMP V4.

Deetektor
UKDN Gold Supporter and UKDN Magazine Contributor

Post by Deetektor »

bertmarshall wrote:it said the the daily mail today that the finder will not get a reward!. anyone know why?
I think that must have been a misprint, or just the reporter not knowing what they were on about ? He did have permission, according to the article anyway.
Support the PAS
You know it makes sense

Teknetics T2
XP Goldmaxx Power

marmotte

Re: ruined

Post by marmotte »

james1969 wrote:He may as well give up now as it'll be Georgian pennies from now on! :lol:
:shock: and the rest :lol: :lol: :lol:

Dr.Syn

Post by Dr.Syn »

It didn't say he wouldn't get a reward it said under British law no reward was payable - That's good news when non detectorists read that. They can't say we're only in it for the money
We're born naked, cold, wet & hungry, then things get worse!
XS with Silver Sabre now backup.

Les UK

Post by Les UK »

He might have dug the hoard up him self and not got our friends to dig it up for him, if you find a bronze age hoard you have to inform the archaeologists and let them dig it out of its context or you could lose the finders reward or some of the value of the finders reward.

PWalton

Post by PWalton »

As far as I know the Daily Mail got it totally wrong which shows you should never believe everything you read in the paper.

I was FLO for the North East at the time and dealt with the Treasure Case. The finder did dig up the hoard before letting me know, which wasn't ideal, but it was getting dark and he was very worried that someone had spotted him detecting and it would all be gone by the morning if he didn't remove the objects.

The next day I went out to meet him, he showed me all the finds and we went back to the site and picked up lots of pottery from the area where the hoard was found. The objects then all went of to the BM for analysis as usual.

There were some interesting results from the analyses. The cores of the gold lock rings were made from beeswax, there were several new types of axe amongst the assemblage and a piece of wood found in one of them carbon dated the material too!

I left the North East before the case went to inquest but I can see no reason why the finder won't get his reward in the normal way. I know that the landowner refused his portion of the reward so that the museum could afford to buy the objects which was nice of him!

pshelt1970

Post by pshelt1970 »

i see he rechecked the hole afder finding a foil lid, the same thing happened with the newark torc but he dug a coke can

Deetektor

Post by Deetektor »

Thanks for putting the story right Philippa, it's a shame that reporters always seem to get these stories wrong.

It's a pity we didn't get to chat at the BM last week, perhaps next year. :wink:
Support the PAS
You know it makes sense

Teknetics T2
XP Goldmaxx Power

PWalton

Post by PWalton »

Yes indeed..sorry to have missed you too. Hope you enjoyed the conference though. It was all good stuff..

O.G.J

Post by O.G.J »

Forget about the media getting the story wrong, in some cases.
Well done the finder, novice or not. At least he was honest enough to say it was down to luck.

Return to “LATEST NEWS”