popsandme
Finds Advisor - UKDN Supporter - Diamond
meble kuchenne warszawa
Main Detector: Nox 800

Re: which GPS??

Post by popsandme »

cheers phil
Sometimes too much to drink is barely enough.

Self recording on the PAS database..... Click Here
2022 Hammered = 5

the barnacle
UKDN Supporter - Platinum
Main Detector: Deus

Post by the barnacle »

think i might get the maplins one and give it a go, if only to see which shed the moggly sleeps in, for £29 i think its worth it, as for detecting or accuracy it may not do the job that the other gps units do.

Puffin
UKDN Valued Member and Diamond Supporter
Main Detector: Mark one gray matter

Post by Puffin »

popsandme wrote:
the barnacle wrote:on a different note, our cat went missing for 5 days and just come home, i am thinking just for fun to fit a GPS to him so i can see where he goes as most days he goes for 8 hrs with no trace, probably sleeping in the shed but i thought i might get this GPS for detecting and also to put on him from time to time, its small enough not to get in his way if put on his collar, has anyone used this one -

http://www.maplin.co.uk/gps-travel-tracker-227620
thats the one i initially had in mind when i started the thread barney, however puffin gave me the impression it would be no good for the use i had in mind, i.e tracking my course in the field and d/loading to g/earth........he said its for use alongside a digital camera.....but having read the gumf on it i don't see why it wouldn't chart my course so as for pinning it to the moggy...it could work, unless you have to give said moggy a crash course in camera operation :hahaha: ....(note to barry...im not being sarcastic about your post mate, im just in a dry mood today! :g17: :hahaha: )
No problem Pops, the i-gatu would track a course across a field, but you would not have the finds position logged unless you sinc your camera time with the logger internal clock. Take a clod shot they down load the track and photo files and geotag the photo. This adds the Lat and Long to the photos EXIF data which is embedded in the photo file. You would have to then check the EXIF data using one of the available EXIF reader programmes. Or upload to Flickr and the map function will display the photos position. The down side is this can be seen by anyone wishing to see your field location. Not good!!!!

A bit of creative thinking would make the i-gatu work as a loose, cheap, track keeper as has already been said its not as accurate as a more expensive handheld GPS unit, which you can see the data on the units screen in the field. As with most things in life, the more you are willing to pay, the better the product tends to be, but not always.

Geo-tagging the cat would be interesting, the unit would lose the GPS signal in a shed, so watch for gaps in the data, Steve.
Deus, XP GMP, CS 4Pi, Canon 450d, Garmin GPS, PAS Self Recorder.
Hamster Count 55. Then so far this year 0 to the Deus.
Denarius Count 7. Then so far this year 0.

the barnacle
Main Detector: Deus

Post by the barnacle »

very good info barry, i like the way you used on on a kite. after reading all the above pops i think its all down to what you want to do and achieve, plus how much money you can spend,

popsandme

Post by popsandme »

so lets see if i got this right..............either the i-gatu unit is linked via a cable when you take a photo....or.....surely there aint the need to take photos and it just tracks your course and if you need to make a waypoint you just click the button and take a photo and sync the two on the pc later...........if its the later what happens if you dont want to take photos??.....will it still track your course to be downloaded later??....

2022 Hammered = 5

Puffin
Main Detector: Mark one gray matter

Post by Puffin »

popsandme wrote:so lets see if i got this right..............either the i-gatu unit is linked via a cable when you take a photo....or.....surely there aint the need to take photos and it just tracks your course and if you need to make a waypoint you just click the button and take a photo and sync the two on the pc later...........if its the later what happens if you dont want to take photos??.....will it still track your course to be downloaded later??....
The i-gatu and camera are not linked together, the common denominator is the time stamp of both the camera and i-gatu. To link them together its a matter of using the i-gatu interface software on your pc once you have down loaded the i-gatu track file and the photos. The software looks at the photo's time stamp and matches it to the nearest track point time and deducts the postion from both of these times.

If all you are interested in is a record of the track of the i-gatu then you can just use it as a position tracker, see my kite data example above, I did not have the camera running while I used the unit. In fact I did some futher gps data chopping and coloured the track of each kite.

KAP Kite test by Barry Carpenter, on Flickr
Deus, XP GMP, CS 4Pi, Canon 450d, Garmin GPS, PAS Self Recorder.
Hamster Count 55. Then so far this year 0 to the Deus.
Denarius Count 7. Then so far this year 0.

popsandme

Post by popsandme »

cheers barry...........might be worth £29 for what im looking for, will hold its price me thinks as its on offer i suppose!

2022 Hammered = 5

PhilD
Main Detector: Makro Racer
Location: Saving North Yorks finds for future generations by recording with PAS

Post by PhilD »

Click here to register with PAS
Makro Racer / ATPro Inter / T2 / Explorer II / Ace 250 / Garrett Pro Pinpointer / Etrex 10 GPS /Lumix TZ60/PAS Records - Click here

watchmaker
Main Detector: XP Deus

Post by watchmaker »

I use one of these http://global.mobileaction.com/product/ ... 800pro.jsp.

It is by the same people who make the i-gotU tracker but has a few more features and is waterproof. As Barry has already suggested they are not always accurate if you want to use them for recording ground coverage, but they are ideal for logging find spots either by linking photos or saving waypoints. I also use mine to mark areas of interest from google earth before I go out then use the device to navigate to the areas when in the field. This can be good when you can't make out at ground level the details seen from the air.

Not the cheapest solution, but not as expensive as some of the handheld units.

Simon.

Return to “GPS”