PhilD
UKDN Valued Member and Diamond Supporter
meble kuchenne warszawa
Main Detector: Makro Racer
Location: Saving North Yorks finds for future generations by recording with PAS

Re: which GPS??

Post by PhilD »

I've just noticed that when in the normal mode the GPS shows satellite numbers upto 32.

In the waas mode it shows satellite numbers upto 37 ie including 33 and 37.

Satellite 33 is the INMARSAT
Satellite 37 is the ARTEMIS

Both of these are in the final EGNOS constellation (33, 37 & 39).

I've now got a part lock on 33 (outside of bar lined), the 'd's are appearing above the other bars, accuracy is now 2 metres :D
Click here to register with PAS
Makro Racer / ATPro Inter / T2 / Explorer II / Ace 250 / Garrett Pro Pinpointer / Etrex 10 GPS /Lumix TZ60/PAS Records - Click here

ceasar

Post by ceasar »

History Hunter wrote:Try to buy a gps which has EGNOS http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_G ... y_Service/ as it's more accurate, WAAS is under US military control and can degrade the service at any time. EGNOS isn't under their control :Biggestgrin:

So they are up there and working already I presume. I did not know that, can you get the gps which work of them or do up to date ones work of both systems?
1000+ Finds Recorded on P.A.S

PhilD

Post by PhilD »

The Garmin GPS is connecting with the EGNOS system satellites when waas is enabled, see my post above.
Makro Racer / ATPro Inter / T2 / Explorer II / Ace 250 / Garrett Pro Pinpointer / Etrex 10 GPS /Lumix TZ60/PAS Records - Click here

ageezer
UKDN Supporter - Bronze
UKDN Supporter - Bronze
Main Detector: deus /nokta pointer

Post by ageezer »

something that takes ordnance survey plug in maps at 50,000scale ??

History Hunter

Post by History Hunter »

ceasar wrote:
History Hunter wrote:Try to buy a gps which has EGNOS http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_G ... y_Service/ as it's more accurate, WAAS is under US military control and can degrade the service at any time. EGNOS isn't under their control :Biggestgrin:

So they are up there and working already I presume. I did not know that, can you get the gps which work of them or do up to date ones work of both systems?
Yes, some Garmin units have both, it's best to check the specifications with all manufacturers to be certain that they will have EGNOS.

ceasar

Post by ceasar »

Have not had time to check yet but mine is 4 or 5 years old so probably not.
1000+ Finds Recorded on P.A.S

PhilD

Post by PhilD »

Here's a comparison chart pops, you can compare 4 side by side :g50:

http://www8.garmin.com/outdoor/compare.jsp

Puffin
Main Detector: Mark one gray matter

Post by Puffin »

Just an aside and not detecting related but I had a play with my i-gatu GPS unit today. An experiment really, attach the unit directly to my kites to test each one in turn. Then down load the GPS data into Google earth. I was after performance data for each kite under a particular wind condition, which I got.

But this does somewhat illustrate what can be done with GPS.

KAP or Kite Aerial Photography kite test by Barry Carpenter, on Flickr

The brief report for those that may be interested.
KAP or Kite Aerial Photography kite test
I had another kite arrive today, a HQ Flowform 2. Conditions where reasonable so took my four kites for a spin. I attached my i-gatu GPS data tracker to each kite in turn.

Data collected with a i-gatu GPS data tagger, then imported into Google Earth. i-gatu height data quality is variable?

Four KAP kites used over an afternoon flying. All tethered to a fixed point with the same length of line, approx. 70 m. Time line along the bottom of the image each flight of a kite is with in a box, a photo of the kite used appears within that box. Yellow line is the ground level 150m.

First kite is a red Kiwi Fishing kite, mid hight and mid range number 2 flight box. A bit skittish, needs a little bit more tuning as there is still a left lean!

Tagger was place in my pocket before being attached to the second kite, this gave a below ground reading!

The second kite was a Triton Ginki high aspect kite fight box number 1. Very stable high over head flier. I like this kite.

Third kite, Giant DC another mid range flying kite flight box number 2. My first kite purchased for KAP, it does move around the sky a bit.

Last kite is a HQ Flowform 2. A low level long reach kite, flight box 3. Very stable flier, with and without a fuzzy tail. Better suited to higher wind speeds.

Wind condition, estimated, gusty 10mph to 15mph.
Deus, XP GMP, CS 4Pi, Canon 450d, Garmin GPS, PAS Self Recorder.
Hamster Count 55. Then so far this year 0 to the Deus.
Denarius Count 7. Then so far this year 0.

PhilD

Post by PhilD »

Amazing what can be done Barry, great images :g38:

popsandme
Finds Advisor - UKDN Supporter - Diamond
Main Detector: Nox 800

Post by popsandme »

thats cool barry........

cheers for the comparison chart phil........
Sometimes too much to drink is barely enough.

Self recording on the PAS database..... Click Here
2022 Hammered = 5

the barnacle
UKDN Supporter - Platinum
UKDN Supporter - Platinum
Main Detector: Deus

Post by the barnacle »

on a different note, our cat went missing for 5 days and just come home, i am thinking just for fun to fit a gps to him so i can see where he goes as most days he goes for 8 hrs with no trace, probably sleeping in the shed but i thought i might get this gps for detecting and also to put on him from time to time, its small enough not to get in his way if put on his collar, has anyone used this one -

http://www.maplin.co.uk/gps-travel-tracker-227620

popsandme

Post by popsandme »

the barnacle wrote:on a different note, our cat went missing for 5 days and just come home, i am thinking just for fun to fit a gps to him so i can see where he goes as most days he goes for 8 hrs with no trace, probably sleeping in the shed but i thought i might get this gps for detecting and also to put on him from time to time, its small enough not to get in his way if put on his collar, has anyone used this one -

thats the one i initially had in mind when i started the thread barney, however puffin gave me the impression it would be no good for the use i had in mind, i.e tracking my course in the field and d/loading to g/earth........he said its for use alongside a digital camera.....but having read the gumf on it i dont see why it wouldnt chart my course so as for pinning it to the moggy...it could work, unless you have to give said moggy a crash course in camera operation :hahaha: ....(note to barry...im not being sarcastic about your post mate, im just in a dry mood today! :g17: :hahaha: )

2022 Hammered = 5

PhilD

Post by PhilD »

the barnacle wrote:on a different note, our cat went missing for 5 days and just come home, i am thinking just for fun to fit a gps to him so i can see where he goes as most days he goes for 8 hrs with no trace, probably sleeping in the shed but i thought i might get this gps for detecting and also to put on him from time to time, its small enough not to get in his way if put on his collar, has anyone used this one -

I bought a GT 120, it can record a tracklog at different time intervals so you can see where you have been. I didn't find it to be as accurate as my hand held GPS, it doesn't have a display, you have to plug it into the PC to check the waypoints you have entered by pressing the button.

The hand held GPS also has a 'go to' facility so you can return to a hotspot in a field (hot spots can be pre programmed into a GPS if you know the O/S NGR or lat/long.

The hand held is best for recording finds, the logger best for seeing what Tom has been up to.

Some info here;

http://www.forumukdetectornet.co.uk/php ... lit=logger

popsandme

Post by popsandme »

PhilD wrote:

I bought a GT 120, it can record a tracklog at different time intervals so you can see where you have been. I didn't find it to be as accurate as my hand held GPS, it doesn't have a display, you have to plug it into the PC to check the waypoints you have entered by pressing the button.

The hand held GPS also has a 'go to' facility so you can return to a hotspot in a field (hot spots can be pre programmed into a GPS if you know the O/S NGR or lat/long.

The hand held is best for recording finds, the logger best for seeing what Tom has been up to.

Some info here;

http://www.forumukdetectornet.co.uk/php ... lit=logger

but in laymans terms phil....for us technophobes...would the i-gatu do a similar job to a hand held gps unit??......what im after is something thats cheap aint gonna bust the bank (newborn is spending all my money bless him!) & track my course so that i can put it on g/earth. :g50:

2022 Hammered = 5

PhilD

Post by PhilD »

The GPS has advantages;

More accurate in my opinion.
Readings are displayed in O/S NGR.
No need to plug into a PC to see the waypoint
Has a 'go to' facility
Can be used on archaeological surveys
It's easy to use
Has replaceable batteries

The logger has no display and must be plugged into the PC to see the waypoint.
The waypoint is displayed in GE as a lat/long or decimal degrees and needs converting to NGR for PAS.
If your not careful you might find you have not switched it on (coloured light system)
You need to be careful the button isn't pressed inadvertently or it will create an unwanted way point
Internal battery charged via USB

:D

Return to “GPS”