Cheap GPS of sorts

SWEATYSOCK
meble kuchenne warszawa

Re: Cheap GPS of sorts

Post by SWEATYSOCK »

so is the jury still out or are they worth buying ?

PhilD
UKDN Valued Member and Diamond Supporter
Main Detector: Makro Racer
Location: Saving North Yorks finds for future generations by recording with PAS

Post by PhilD »

There's only 3 of us got them so far and we're still checking them out, Dave and I are happy with ours re accuracy, Andi's not happy with his, we could do with a few more buying one and letting us know what they think.
Click here to register with PAS
Makro Racer / ATPro Inter / T2 / Explorer II / Ace 250 / Garrett Pro Pinpointer / Etrex 10 GPS /Lumix TZ60/PAS Records - Click here

Strollingby
UKDN Supporter - Bronze
UKDN Supporter - Bronze

Post by Strollingby »

They are not cheap but the new smart Mobile phones are excellent. I have a Nokia N97 Mini, it is quite amazing, the SatNav software on it is ace, I still cant believe my phone can guide me around the country door to door, also has a 5MP Camera, take a pic with it and automatically tag it to the position it was taken and loads it onto a map. I can go online with it and read this website, can even make mobile posts on here as well. It has lots more features, I learn something new with it every week, might even figure out how to make a phone call eventually :)

Jorvik Andi

Post by Jorvik Andi »

PhilD wrote:Shouldn't be out like that Andy, bring it to the Clubs meeting on the 12th and I'll bring mine, we can take readings off both outside the building & compare the results on Google Earth.
Hi Phil i just done a little experiment with the GPS Director this time i let the machine stay on for about 5 mins then i went to three different locations which were only about 100-150m away from my home and wrote the co-ords down, then when i returned home i tried again using nearby and this time the results were OK giving accuracy within 2-3m.
I'm unsure why i had so much inaccuracy the first couple of times, i'm hopefully going out tommorrow detecting and if i find anything i'll give it another go and see what the results are.

Thanks for bearing with me on this

Andi

Puffin
Main Detector: Mark one gray matter

Post by Puffin »

Once a GPS unit is turned on, it can take upto five minutes to lock on as many Satellites as possible then work out the location from a set of known time signals from each satellite. The receiver then works out the slight difference of these time signals from a base line. Upto 15 Satellites can be present in the sky at anyone time. The more signals the receiver picks up the more precise the give location, so its not just a matter of turning the devise on and off as needed.
Deus, XP GMP, CS 4Pi, Canon 450d, Garmin GPS, PAS Self Recorder.
Hamster Count 55. Then so far this year 0 to the Deus.
Denarius Count 7. Then so far this year 0.

Donnydave
Main Detector: XP Deus

Post by Donnydave »

Did you set the magnetic North up first by spinning the device clockwise twice? I think this procedure helps it to be become accurate? With my short experience of the device and for the small outlay £20 plus two batteries I would recommend anyone to buy one as long as they don.t mind carry a small notepad and pen to jot down the position information, and the link that Phil posted converts it easily for your FLO :g50:

Jorvik Andi

Post by Jorvik Andi »

Donnydave wrote:Did you set the magnetic North up first by spinning the device clockwise twice? I think this procedure helps it to be become accurate?
Yes Dave i did do that.... only thing i got to check out now is to place it near my minelab detector and see if that affects the behaviour of the GPS.

Andi

PhilD

Post by PhilD »

Just tried mine in the living room with the curtains closed, the Seconds decimals were jumping a bit but still got a fairly accurate reading, turned the Minelab on and it had no effect :g50:
Makro Racer / ATPro Inter / T2 / Explorer II / Ace 250 / Garrett Pro Pinpointer / Etrex 10 GPS /Lumix TZ60/PAS Records - Click here

PhilD

Post by PhilD »

I've emailed Globalsat & told them the problems I am having with mine (Westing reading wrong for where I am & if type in lat/long for where I am now it says I am 43km away) & they have sent me a new GPS Director free of charge which does what it says on the tin & will let me type a lat/long in & go to it & will save 5 find spots.

I've emailed Maplin & told them the above and said if they agree they have a faulty batch & get some ok ones in they might get a lot of orders from MD's.

As it stands the ones from Maplin are very cheap (about 1/3 the price or better than some of the same ones else where on the Internet) so maybe the best thing to do is to buy over the counter at your local Maplin (I bought over the internet), check if it works ok & get them to take it back if it doesn't do what it is supposed to do. There is also the possibility of Globalsat sending a new one that works properly like they did for me.

Puffin

Post by Puffin »

I came across this device the other day, it works by keeping a running track record with a time record and you work out your postion by recording your time at a given point. Designed for photographers wanting to geotag their photographs by matching the cameras clock with the device. I saw it for sale in a Maplins.

http://www.i-gotu.com/

PhilD

Post by PhilD »

Just wondering how thats working Barry, is it synching the Google Earth tracklog time with the time the photo was taken?

Puffin

Post by Puffin »

I believe thats how it works Phil.
Just an idea, clod shot each find with a compact digi camera get home and download and import into Google Earth or whatever. :g43: That way there is no confusion of what came out where as each image is geotaged in the EXIF data embedded in the picture data.
Key features:
Auto-map your photos with GPS location information
Organize and present your journey on 3D Google Maps & Google Earth
Compatible with all digital cameras and camera phones, coolest GPS tracking gadget for your journey
Easy-to-use software user interface
Export in multiple file formats, support popular web albums
Quick & easy to create & share your live Travel Blog with all your friends
Multiple ways for attachment, suitable for outdoor use
Water-resistant hardware design, suitable for rainy days, skiing, water sports
Compatible with 3rd party GPS navigation software, serve as PC GPS receiver as well

PhilD

Post by PhilD »

That sounds a good idea Barry, be interesting if someone could try it out & see how accurate the system was & what any pitfalls are :g50:

Puffin

Post by Puffin »

A bit more info from Maplins http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=227620
Small in size, big on memory with great battery performance
Record and trace your journey with photo locations using GPS technology
View your journey on Google Maps™ and Google Earth™
Retrospectively view a route and locations of your child, vehicle or pet with detailed information on travel, speed, date and time
Pocket-sized water resistant GPS travel tracker - great for blogging your journey!
Upload a travel blog of your journey and associated pictures to software such as Yahoo Flickr™
Pre-set GPS logging intervals of 5, 10, 15, 30 or 60 seconds or manually set from 1 second to 60 minutes
Supplied with USB charging cable, rubber material belt or strap mounting case and software on CD-Rom
Compatible with Windows® 2000, Windows® XP and 32-bit versions of Windows® Vista
Uses a SiRF Star III GPS chipset powered by a 230mAh Lithium-ion battery
Measures just 44.5(h) x 28.5(w) x 13(d) mm
Weighs only 20g

With the supplied i-gotU software, you can now keep a record of your own journey by simply pressing the log button when you take a photo. By ensuring your digital camera and tracker clocks are synchronised, you can easily upload a travel blog of your journey and associated pictures to software such as Yahoo Flickr™ to quickly share photos and videos with your friends and family online. The software enables you to create an HTML file for your friends to see the route of your trip on software such as Google Earth™ along with pictures you have taken on the way! Alternatively, the GPS travel tracker could even be used to retrospectively track a route of your pet or vehicle, providing detailed information on its whereabouts, velocity, date and time over a given period, without you having been there! The tracker can be set to log your GPS location at preset or user defined intervals and using digitised street mapping on Google Maps™ or Google Earth™, the i-gotU software can accurately report travel activities such as where a vehicle or a pet went to, when it was there and how long it stayed there. The GPS travel tracker can also be used with compatible third party software (not supplied) such as Microsoft Streets and Maps. Please note that if you wish to use this device to track another individual or their vehicle, you must do so with their full consent and knowledge.

Technical Specification

Specifications:
Frequency of GPS logging Battery life (if fully charged)
Every 60 seconds 70 hours
Every 30 seconds 60 hours
Every 15 seconds 30 hours
Every 10 seconds 20 hours
Every 5 seconds 10 hours
Average GPS acquisition time: <35 seconds (cold start)
<35 seconds (warm start)
LEDs: Tracking, charging and status notification
Memory: 65,000 waypoints

Customer Reviews on this Product
Michael (24/11/2009)
I got one of these a month back when it was on promotion.

It's conveniently small and so far has done a good job.

The software allows good flexibility wrt logging parameters plus it allows scheduled logging at pre-defined times on pre-defined days (not actually tried this).

Just don't forget your pc (or the cable) if you go on holiday as it doesn't have huge storage.

At the promo price, it's a 'no brainer'.

Patrick (18/09/2009)
Brilliant little product, the only problem I've had with this is I keep forgetting to bring the charge cable, but if you are careful with it and only turn it on as you need it it can last for a week with good usage.

Frequently Asked Questions

Q- If fitted into a car and left on all the time, can you check on the internet where it is live? - astrirt

Answer- With this unit, you can retrospectively track where your vehicle has been - but you cannot track the device live on the internet as it moves.

Q- Will the photo-tracker work worldwide ? - Robin Edwards

Answer- Yes the product does support that.

Q- Does this device give lat and long readout of a current location? - Tonie Holt

Q- Does this unit receive a good signal when inside a wetsuit or waterproof bag or similar? - katie

Q- Is there a manufacturer site with more info at all please? - Matthew

Answer- yes there is please visit http://www.i-gotu.com/

Q- Does this device give retrospective details such as top speed reached on a jouney, location of top speed, average speed, total time of journey. - Ciaran

Q- Can this be used to tell how far I have walked on a hike. Like a pedometer but much more accurate. David - David canning

Answer- No sorry this product does not support that.

Q- Is this GT120 or GT-200 - Sre

Answer- This is the GT120 the GT200 can be found under order code A47JU

Check Your Local Store's Availability.....
GPS Photo Tracker £49.99 A41JF

PhilD

Post by PhilD »

The videos on here look impressive :g50: Click Here

I've fix the link Phil it was giving a page error
Puffin

Return to “GPS”