Post by anonymous »

Your posts must be lost in cyberspace stevo me old mate. :wink:

anonymous

Post by anonymous »

oops corinnes here,and I said the s word :oops:

Steve-B

Post by Steve-B »

not....european cyberspace????? :lol:

ooops hush ma mouth..its the voices in my head they keep telling to write bad things........

anonymous

Post by anonymous »

I used to hear all sorts of voices in my luggs steve,but then I got some predators,everythings fine now.
Pardon? who said that?

Steve-B

Post by Steve-B »

steve????

:lol:

anonymous

Post by anonymous »

<----- :roll: ---<<< ####%%%### :x sausages.

Flinty

Post by Flinty »

Firstly, and a minor point, but, the grammar in the poll is adrift, and if you really want to make your mark, it seems to me that a little more time should be taken over correspondence of this sort, particularly if you want to present a coherent and studied view to the 'educated' Establishment.

Archaeologists in the UK have increasingly been compelled over the past 25 years to be aware of the enormous contribution metal detecting has played, and will continue to play, in the future of UK archaeology. Indeed, I would argue that metal detecting has revealed, directly, or otherwise, more of our history than conventional archaeology could ever have hoped to through conventional means. Most of us that own and responsibly operate metal detectors understand the skill it requires to find metallic objects beneath the earth - it is not just a "treasure hunter's hobby", or a "peasant's lottery" - it now occupies a 'de facto' place in UK archaeology. Those scornful 'stick in the mud' archaeologists, and those in the establishment that refuse to recognise the legitimacy of our hobby as a major contributor to UK archaeology are as far behind the times as the artefacts they may choose to excavate.

I have to say, (and I have always taken note of the archaeologist/detectorist divide, so often voiced here and elsewhere,) there is much hope for the future. Archaeology is NOT what it was 20 years ago, and young archaeologists rarely harbour the sort of poison that was reserved for us detectorists by the establishment 25 years ago. Modern archaeologists DO value us, that is the truth, what they do NOT value is the indiscriminate use of metal detectors, the finds from which are pedalled on e-bay and by other unscrupulous dealers that are scattered to the four winds.

Surely, we have a common goal, and as such, I would argue that our hobby, and our heritage as we see it, should be secure. Modern archaeologists may be inclined to agree with me.

Sheddy

Post by Sheddy »

I'll read that again when I'm sober. At the moment, it seems to make sense. I can't be having that.

StuE
UKDN Diamond Supporter and UKDN Magazine Contributor
Main Detector: Deus

Post by StuE »

Modern archaeologists DO value us, that is the truth, what they do NOT value is the indiscriminate use of metal detectors, the finds from which are pedalled on e-bay and by other unscrupulous dealers that are scattered to the four winds.
I would agree but the main damage is done once a find has lost it's provenance i.e. once a finder has passed it on without a record of it's find spot.
Found any lead bag seals? Email a piccy to me for inclusion on The Bag Seal Gallery Ourpasthistory.com Image Gallery :: Lead Cloth & Bag Seals
Don't be a complete Banker, make a micro-loan - http://www.kiva.org/team/humanist

petethedig
UKDN Valued Member and Diamond Supporter
Main Detector: Minelab Etrac

Post by petethedig »

I think what Mr Adkin says makes a lot of sense! We have come a long way from the 'bad old days' and I for one won't miss them. The future of detecting is more secure now in my opinion than it ever has been with still a few bumps to iron out with DEFRA etc, but let us not be complacent either. The whole area of selling finds has and always will be an emotive subject to which I have no particular bent. I would however stress that the way we deal with this subject may determine future complications if it is not thought through properly. I stand with many is as much as I think all record-able finds should be done so and then once recorded you can do as you please with your finds under current law. I do however foresee a situation that if finds are perceived to be sold in any market without due adherence to the likes of PAS then we will be forced down the legislative road. Most of the 'old wives tales' have been dealt with by members of PAS on this forum or on their own so there should be no reason to take this road in the days ahead. Pas has finally become the bridge to this hobby that has allowed us to become of age, and for want of a better expression, responsible with our finds not our behaviour as hobbyist!

Post by Guest »

No, but reading their website would indicate a very good understanding of archaeological practice. They have completed some good work there.

IB1

Post by IB1 »

Corrine "does anyone here know anything about this group of people?"

I would not let them organise a christmas party. They regularly expell one third of the membership or they leave, not a happy place to be, too many knives I guess.

StuE
Main Detector: Deus

Post by StuE »

Are they still going..... 15 members limit !!!!
Found any lead bag seals? Email a piccy to me for inclusion on The Bag Seal Gallery Ourpasthistory.com Image Gallery :: Lead Cloth & Bag Seals
Don't be a complete Banker, make a micro-loan - http://www.kiva.org/team/humanist

petethedig
Main Detector: Minelab Etrac

Post by petethedig »

The five who left must have thrown their iron in the hedge eh?! :lol:

Return to “ARCHIVE MATERIAL”