Garrett Ace 250 Control Box?

A place for the newcomer to find useful information thus
helping them to make a good start in the hobby. Beginners can ask questions
and get replies from more experienced members.
LittleJohn
meble kuchenne warszawa
Main Detector: XP Deus

Garrett Ace 250 Control Box?

Post by LittleJohn »

Hi all I just got my new machine today namely the Garrett Ace 250 as that was my budget and read some goods reviews too, well I could not wait and had to go for a dig! In my back garden I go and soon had the Wife and Children out watching me make holes whilst the Dog sat in disgust like I was taking over his job of hole digging :g42:
So after half an hour so of finding Rusty Nails and a bottle top and a 1994 2p Coin I called it an evening due to my garden being very tiny, but I could not get my head around the fact the Garrett Ace 250 is all in American i.e. 1c 5c etc and what I did scan like rusty nails came up as 1c-10c and a food bag tie came up as Silver 50c?
Lots of Iron around so I Disc that off along with bottle tops even though I still found one that said it was a 10c coin?
So is there a way of deciphering the American Box to UK? Or is it just guess work and dig what bleeps depending on your mode?
I also got the destruction manual but again written in English but native to American Coins?

Thanks and sorry if its the worlds most stupid question.
John
NCMD Member. ARCH Member. The Crown Estate Permit holder.

Garrett Ace 250. Garrett Pro-Pointer.
Minelab E-Trac. Minelab Pro Finder 25.
Waterproof Makro Pointer.

Keep Calm and Carry on Digging.

bobby button
Main Detector: tes lobo supertraq

Re: Garrett Ace 250 Control Box?

Post by bobby button »

hi littlejohn.have an ace 250 myself with which ive found loads of good stuff ,dont go too literal on the scale its only a guideline,even pulltabs sometimes come up as coins on the vdu, some of the more expensive machines do the same.concentrate on the signals and sounds more and compare the finds,i very rarely look at the display ,only sometimes to check the depth, only dig repeatable signals. sometimes the signal will seem to dissapear and you have lost your target,its just the processor working on the signal to decide what it is dont worry about it,move on to the next target practice makes perfect so keep at it ,garrett rekons it takes 100 hours use to completely master the ace 250,anyway have fun and good luck . :g50:

Toutatis
Main Detector: Explorer II

Post by Toutatis »

Hi Littlejohn. Completely agree with Bobby. The vdu is just a guide, try and learn the sounds and understand what a good signal sounds like. All big bits of iron will come up as silver, just have to accept that. Like Bobby says only dig consistant signals, I have not found anything good from a non consistent signal i.e one that flicks from iron to silver repeatedly. A good target with be consistent on the vdu and sound. Change the batteries often - dying batteries will create loads of chatter. Don't use footwear with metal in like metal lace holders. Best advice I can give is watch the youtube videos which show how to pinpoint properly with the 250.

LittleJohn

Post by LittleJohn »

Hi again and thanks bobby button and Indian Jones that has been useful input for me, I did notice whilst out on my short venture to the back garden that the tones did chime in different levels once I found a Hit! So I think I will go ahead with the tone sounds and watch the panel for depth only etc.

:g30:

fallingonabruise

Post by fallingonabruise »

Gather as much different bits of metal and coins, gold and silver and get the other half to swing them under the coil, while you look at the display and listen, :)
Nothing can stop us now
Only the good times left
Nothing can stop our love
Except terminal illness
Or sudden accidental death

PhilD
UKDN Valued Member and Diamond Supporter
Main Detector: Makro Racer
Location: Saving North Yorks finds for future generations by recording with PAS

Post by PhilD »

The Garrett AT Pro screen label is a bit more like it;
Attachments
AT pro.jpg
AT pro.jpg (28.25 KiB) Viewed 21434 times
Click here to register with PAS
Makro Racer / ATPro Inter / T2 / Explorer II / Ace 250 / Garrett Pro Pinpointer / Etrex 10 GPS /Lumix TZ60/PAS Records - Click here

bobby button
Main Detector: tes lobo supertraq

Post by bobby button »

hi littlejohn ,if the budget allows get yourself a garrett propointer those things are great for finding the stuff even the smallest of finds,just make sure the signal is not in the hole then rummage around the soil youve dug out,use it flat to locate,then use the tip to pinpoint, like indian said dont use steel toecap boots and use good quality batteries and dont let them get too low in power. also good headphones with volume control if poss ,the ace 250 does not have volume control,then you can hear every little bleep and squirt,,,,,,,good hunting. :g50:

LittleJohn

Post by LittleJohn »

Hi again bobby button and thanks for the input, yes my budget right now is low but I am going to start saving again towards a pin-pointer and yes I have already got my own set of Headphones with volume control that I like over the free Garrett ones I got with the machine. I have already packed a spare set of Duracell Batteries too in my bag just in case as a back up, this is my usual thing to do with back ups as I go Carp Fishing a lot of the time and always cater for being in the middle of nowhere with no access to shops etc to buy more Batts or whatever else I run out of but again thanks for all the input and information as it is keeping me in check just in-case I miss something on my new venture into this hobby.

Cheers again

LittleJohn

Post by LittleJohn »

Well money is still very tight for me but managed to fix a few computers so made just enough to buy a Bounty Hunter Pin-Pointer for £34, yes I know a lot of people hate or slate this tool but for my budget I actually think it's pretty cool and so does my daughter who thinks its a magic wand, I have played about with it testing various objects and metals and coins and it copes just fine without having to touch the coin or metallic object in question, one thing I did notice however is that any coin on its side would barely set it off but it still gave a little buzz and the LED flickered slightly, so opened her up and had a play with the settings and managed to get it picking up slightly better and moved the LED so you can actually see the indication and muffled the speaker because it scared the life out of me when I first had a go with the combined vibrator it could be classed as another object all together :g42:

Anyways will take it out on my next dig and give it a test if I find anything as not having much luck with the Beach hunts as its mainly been trash and £1 coin and a shilling :g40: ...

Deetektor
UKDN Gold Supporter and UKDN Magazine Contributor
UKDN Gold Supporter and UKDN Magazine Contributor

Post by Deetektor »

As said, don't go by the display, go by the sound.

Also, with the standard coil, pinpoint centre is just forward of the coil centre.

Large iron will come up as a big signal at 6"+

Don't be tempted to go for the larger coil, it's a waste of money in my honest opinion.
Support the PAS
You know it makes sense

Teknetics T2
XP Goldmaxx Power

Puffin
Main Detector: Mark one gray matter

Post by Puffin »

I have a Deus one of the more expensive machines. yet the numbers it gives for a ring pull, a small 50p and a Henry VIII half groat (silver coin) all came in as 70 on the vdu. When starting out the best advice we all give is dig every thing and learn what your machine is telling you.

Yank machines are designed for yanks and the yank coinage, very limited history and often yank users need a guide???
Deus, XP GMP, CS 4Pi, Canon 450d, Garmin GPS, PAS Self Recorder.
Hamster Count 55. Then so far this year 0 to the Deus.
Denarius Count 7. Then so far this year 0.

LittleJohn

Post by LittleJohn »

Hi again Puffin & Deetektor and thanks for the information, I have learned to adjust to the tones as a Ring is more of a good hit as a Ding is something there but not sure what it is type of tones, as to the Pin-Pointing with the Garrett Coil it's not too bad other than when I have been digging large scrap as that always seems to be at the back of the hole towards the rear backside of the coil and not just off the center? I know what you mean with Coins showing up different as I have found several of the New 5p coins scan on two different types, maybe its a slight change in the metal makeup of the coin, can't test anything old yet as I need to find something old which would help :g42:

Being most of my finds are trash apart from a £1 coin and a shilling for a weeks work I have not had much chance to try any other methods or areas due to nowhere else to dig, the Warren is off limits now as its Heritage Site SSSI.

Most if not all the local Farmers are a No No :g51: so that's ruled out local travel by bus etc so I don't know what else to do?

I can see why a lot of people give up on this hobby with lack of places to dig unless of course you are lucky enough to drive or afford to drive but I have nowhere else to dig and I don't have a car or bike and cannot afford one hence why I'm on a budget MD and PP for the beach.

Anyways until such time "hopefully at least once this year I hope!" :g42: I will wait until such time a dig comes up that I can join in on.

Puffin

Post by Puffin »

Detecting is not the easiest of hobbies to get into, mainly because you need permission from the land owner. Finding and asking can be soul destroying at best. I managed to join a club very quickly, many have dead mans shoes type waiting lists, but if you can find one in your area give it a go.

LittleJohn

Post by LittleJohn »

I have looked into the Clubs but sadly they all meet in out of town areas or evening times when I'm usually at work and that would need a hefty cab fare or your own car etc and as I don't know anyone that is a MD that owns a car to hitch a lift! so it makes it more impossible to stride away from this Bl***y Seafront Beach :g22:

Puffin

Post by Puffin »

In that case keep hitting the beach. watch the sand levels, low is good. Beach detecting is an art in its own right, I'm well in land and just love beach detecting but the cost of getting there is too much for a days fun. I tend to do it when on jollydays or if i'm near a beach when getting paid to take someone there, private hire driver.

Return to “BEGINNERS' SECTION”