Looking for a bit of info and info on permissions.

A place for the newcomer to find useful information thus
helping them to make a good start in the hobby. Beginners can ask questions
and get replies from more experienced members.
Grub wurm
meble kuchenne warszawa

Looking for a bit of info and info on permissions.

Post by Grub wurm »

Hi all before I spend a small fortune on equipment and accessories could someone please tell me, how can I aquire permission from kirklees to detect in certain areas? eg local woods/parks etc. Also has anyone had experience with kirklees council? How are they to deal with?
Also if I am to detect on private land am I best to present a small agreement on paper eg 50/50 split on finds, for them to sign or would this put them off? Or isn't there much reason to?
And last one for now. I know it's not so black and white but if an item is found what are the basic items I would be free to take without having to notify the relevant bodies? Thanks

Donnydave
UKDN Valued Member and Diamond Supporter
UKDN Valued Member and Diamond Supporter
Main Detector: XP Deus

Re: Looking for a bit of info and info on permissions.

Post by Donnydave »

Grub wurm wrote:Hi all before I spend a small fortune on equipment and accessories could someone please tell me, how can I aquire permission from kirklees to detect in certain areas? eg local woods/parks etc. Also has anyone had experience with kirklees council? How are they to deal with?
Also if I am to detect on private land am I best to present a small agreement on paper eg 50/50 split on finds, for them to sign or would this put them off? Or isn't there much reason to?
And last one for now. I know it's not so black and white but if an item is found what are the basic items I would be free to take without having to notify the relevant bodies? Thanks
Some local authorities supply a permit others are just hard to deal with, all you can do is try, if you can get a reply :g64: 50/50 Is the usual agreement with the landowners it is usually over a certain value though :g50: The majority of finds are mundane valueless items but it is always a good idea to show the farmer what you are finding, just so he does,nt think your wandering off with the crown jewels. Some people have a written agreement, all my permissions are on trust by word of mouth.
All items over 300 years old should be recorded, treasure items are the only items you might not be able to keep, but a majority of these are returned to you anyway, unless you decide to donate them to your local museum . :g58:

jcmaloney
UKDN Diamond Supporter and UKDN Magazine Contributor

Post by jcmaloney »

Councils are generally risk averse & say no just in case.
You are not "free to take" anything as your finds are the property of the landowner.
You MUST notify the local coroner if you find "Treasure" as defined by the Treasure Act 1996.

Lots of info & reading here..... http://www.ncmd.co.uk/

Grub wurm

Post by Grub wurm »

Thanks for the information. Is there anyone here who's dealt with kirklees? As for items found on properties would a written agreement between me and the land owner be suitable? As you said dave your permissions are on trust. I'm not trying to get rich from detecting I'm genuinely interested in the hobby also archaeology andthe possibility of finding anything and also nothing. I want to do it legally and above board so the more info about "do's & dont's" the better. Thanks for your time

popsandme
Finds Advisor - UKDN Supporter - Diamond
Main Detector: Nox 800

Post by popsandme »

the best people/person to ask RE: detecting agreement is the landowner, as jc has mentioned councils are in most cases not the best landowners to approach as 99.9% of the time they say no, however there have been instances i have heard of where a detectorist has secured permission form their local council so never say never, the best way would be to give them a ring and find out.
although dave touches on it somewhat briefly, and lets forget about any treasure items for now, although there is no legal requirement for you to report any item that is over 300 years old its considered by a huge proportion of responsible detectorist to report them to their local FLO as it helps to understand the history of an area.
as for treasure items....
1) any artifact that is more than 10% precious metal (gold or silver) HAS to be declared by law as a potential treasure item.
2) two or more coins that are more than 10% precious metal (gold or silver) and found that are considered to be found within the same context HAS to be declared by law as a potential treasure case.
3) if you find 10 or more coins of prehistoric date, made from base metal and found within the same context HAS to be declare by law as a potential treasure case.

any more questions then feel free.
here is a link to a summery of the treasure act just in case i have missed owt.
https://finds.org.uk/treasure/advice/summary
here is the treasure act in full
http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1996/24/contents
and here is a link to the Portable Antiquities Schemes Code of practice for responsible metal detecting.
https://finds.org.uk/getinvolved/guides/codeofpractice

please take time to read them, you will be more educated for it mate.
Sometimes too much to drink is barely enough.

Self recording on the PAS database..... Click Here
2022 Hammered = 5

Grub wurm

Post by Grub wurm »

Thanks for the reply and links, I'll read them carefully. As for permissions I suppose asking the council can't hurt. And various other land owners around my area best to get a bit of land before buying the gear. Hopefully there are some friendly farmers around as the council is likely to be a no.

popsandme
Main Detector: Nox 800

Post by popsandme »

it will do you no harm at all to show your face at the farms around your chosen area, just remember to be polite and be prepared to get more knock backs than permissions, it goes with the territory mate, just dont take it personally and move onto the next farm. it is their land after all.
Sometimes too much to drink is barely enough.

Self recording on the PAS database..... Click Here
2022 Hammered = 5

Old Git John
UKDN Valued Member and Platinum Supporter
Main Detector: SIMPLEX

Post by Old Git John »

Some very good points, both by JC, and Pops. I have always found, as most have, that face to face requests are the
best way to gain permission. Farmers/landowners are very canny folk, who like to see the "whites of your eyes", so
that they can judge who it is who may be digging up their fields. Having said that, most are friendly folk.
I use the term farmer/landowner because they may not be one and the same.
I used to have an issue regarding having an inferiority complex, I no longer have an issue with being inferior.

Grub wurm

Post by Grub wurm »

Thanks again for the information.
So how many of you hold a liability policy? Are you with endsleigh, fid, other? Is the local council more likely to say yes if I have one? I know I keep going on about them but they hold loads of land near me I would love to detect on.
Is there a website I could use to get information on who owns farm land in my area? Sorry about the questions I don't want to miss anything out. Thanks for your time.

Old Git John
Main Detector: SIMPLEX

Post by Old Git John »

Anyone who wishes to go onto land to use a metal detector really ought to have insurance cover, either NCMD or FID.
Also if you consider attending rallies it will be a condition that you must hold one or the other.
Both are available at a very low cost, and will give you, and your permissions owners total peace of mind. I am not
going to decry either one of the two, I will however say that one does more for the hobby, and those in it, than the other.
I used to have an issue regarding having an inferiority complex, I no longer have an issue with being inferior.

Grub wurm

Post by Grub wurm »

I'll look into getting it thanks for that.

MrBeasley

Post by MrBeasley »

Go on to U Tube and find Addictedtobleeps. He has two great videos, a beginners guide to metal detecting, and how to get permissions. There is priceless information and tips on both of these. Every beginner should watch these in my opinion.

jcmaloney

Post by jcmaloney »

http://www.ncmd.co.uk/membership.htm

Join online. Receipt is proof of insurance until the card arrives. You will get 14 months for £10 (we run financial year) and £10 million in cover. Quarterly colour magazine with news etc...... and the one body that represents the hobby on all those boring government committees. :g50:

Grub wurm

Post by Grub wurm »

Having the information you have all shared with me and research on top. the budget is around 250 for the detector any decent entry leven machines for that price? It will be used for inland use only no beach, some areas may be boggy or Marsh land any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, I know I'm not gonna get a deus or anything like that within my budget so I haven't set my hopes too high. Also if some one has the time to do me a quick check list of other items I will need minus attire. Thanks alot for your time

MrBeasley

Post by MrBeasley »

Try U Tube and look up Addictedtobleeps. He has two great videos. Beginners guide to metal detecting, how to get permissions. Entertaining and very informative indeed.

Return to “BEGINNERS' SECTION”