Detectorists against Green Waste Campaign!!

All discussions and threads relating to the "Green Waste" issue should be placed in here.
When the green waste issue has been resolved, this forum and the threads within it
will either be moved or deleted.
lee greagsbey
Site Admin
meble kuchenne warszawa
Main Detector: Deus, CTX, Excalibur
Location: A Surrey coddiwomple exiled into East Hampshire working back in Surrey

Re: Detectorists against Green Waste Campaign!!

Post by lee greagsbey »

PhilD wrote:I don't know if it's in there for sure lee, but have just been looking at this PDF which as you say says it is rich in nitrogen but there are health issues too;

http://ec.europa.eu/environment/waste/s ... ng_4-6.pdf
Hi Phil.... Thank you for the link, i will have a good old gander at that..... :g50:

But i am guessing that nothing is going to waste nowdays, so my money is on that it's mixed in somewhere....?

Regards,
Lee
XP Deus V5.2
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Excalibur 1000
Garrett Pro Pointer
Makro Pointer
XP Mi-6 Pinpointer
NCMD

“Only the devil and I know the whereabouts of my treasure, and the one of us who lives the longest should take it all ” Edward Teach
{P:

Donnydave
UKDN Valued Member and Diamond Supporter
Main Detector: XP Deus

Post by Donnydave »

I picked up the September magazines today whilst in town and noticed an article on the "Green" stuff by David Drummond in TH and the link to epetitions :g58:

PhilD
Main Detector: Makro Racer
Location: Saving North Yorks finds for future generations by recording with PAS

Post by PhilD »

That's good news Dave thanks for letting us know :g50:
Click here to register with PAS
Makro Racer / ATPro Inter / T2 / Explorer II / Ace 250 / Garrett Pro Pinpointer / Etrex 10 GPS /Lumix TZ60/PAS Records - Click here

PhilD

Post by PhilD »

I was under the impression that the Council paid the farmer to have green waste on his land but the farmer I spoke to today said no, they get the green waste for free and save money by not having to buy fertilizer.

He is having second thoughts about the waste as he has seen some doggy poo bags in it.

We also detected a field that had had a fair bit of green waste put on it according to the farmer and we found very little alluminium. So some of the green waste fields are ok.
Makro Racer / ATPro Inter / T2 / Explorer II / Ace 250 / Garrett Pro Pinpointer / Etrex 10 GPS /Lumix TZ60/PAS Records - Click here

Puffin
Main Detector: Mark one gray matter

Post by Puffin »

I believe is varies from council to council and their resources Phil.
Deus, XP GMP, CS 4Pi, Canon 450d, Garmin GPS, PAS Self Recorder.
Hamster Count 55. Then so far this year 0 to the Deus.
Denarius Count 7. Then so far this year 0.

PhilD

Post by PhilD »

Right, thanks Barry :g50:

scirious

Post by scirious »

Hi guys!
I try to keep an eye on the ePetition in respect of 'Green Waste' and as of just now
the number of signatories is 1506. Not very many, bearing in mind that there are an estimated
50,000 detectorists.
When we attend our respective clubs can we all try to remind the members that the signing
of the ePetition is of paramount importance if our hobby is not going to be adversely affected.
I realise that seems to be a selfish point of view but it's the one which is most likely to
garner some attention. We have a tough enough time getting the farmers to agree that detecting
on their fields won't do any harm but if some fields are covered in 'dodgy' green waste then our choice of
available land will be diminished.
Sorry to bang on about this but if the practice becomes widespread and accepted then we'll be telling
our grand-children about the times that we used to go out detecting and how wonderful the finds were!

jcmaloney
UKDN Diamond Supporter and UKDN Magazine Contributor
UKDN Diamond Supporter and UKDN Magazine Contributor

Post by jcmaloney »

My PERSONAL approach has been to show the farmer the cr*p in it. Its worked so far. There is also the option of notifying the Environment Agency if you see piles with contaminants in waiting to be spread...........0800 807060 is a 24hr Incident hotline.

scirious

Post by scirious »

Kindly delete this post!

tintop

Post by tintop »

So the principle of 'follow the country code' is now defunct then?

If the waste being dumped is hazardous then anyone finding it should take pictures and call the Environment Agency. All waste organic or otherwise has to comply with the European Waste Code standards, check their website for details, there is a Hierarchy of Control with all wastes! .

This problem will get worse as the local authorities have just been reprimanded for not achieving their targets on recycling and have been given a deadline to improve.

The kind of waste your talking about costs around £70 per ton at landfill so obviously they are tasking the cheaper options trying to get brownie points along the way.

I will sign up and support this!

rabert

Post by rabert »

Hi,

I thought the Green Wast campaign was very interesting and thought provoking. I had no idea of these issues. Was there any further outcome regarding the campaign?

You might have thought a TV prog like Panorama etc., would have done some research ? Or is this a bit naïve of me?

I was wondering about the plastic washed up on shores and now killing whales. It's horrendous. I can't imagine that this is 'natural' from people on beaches - and wondered if councils, ships or other just dump it at sea.

regards.

Old Git John
UKDN Valued Member and Platinum Supporter
UKDN Valued Member and Platinum Supporter
Main Detector: SIMPLEX

Post by Old Git John »

Unfortunately, some erks are using the scheme to fly tip banned stuff, and it is not noticed until too late.
The farmers can only trust in the honesty of those supplying "green" waste.
I used to have an issue regarding having an inferiority complex, I no longer have an issue with being inferior.

Return to “"Green Waste" Issues”