The Early Military Button project

A section created specifically for on-going metal detecting-based research
projects. Please do not start a new thread unless it is specifically related to a topic.
blue_yeti
Finds Advisor - UKDN Supporter - Diamond
meble kuchenne warszawa
Main Detector: Deus

The Early Military Button project

Post by blue_yeti »

Guys,

I am commencing a military button project that you can help with and is one of those where detectorists really can make a huge difference to our knowledge and also hopefully learn more about your finds at the same time.

The story is that from approx 1760-1816 and then again from 1830-55 numerous militia, volunteer and yeomanry units sprung up, often privately funded and they then vanished just as quick. These finds are regular finds for members, although perhaps not seen as important by many. This is perhaps the reason that no book actually exists on these other than smallish publications that covered some of the more common or well known ones.

I therefore got in touch with the worlds leading expert on these explained the resource I was seeing by way of finds but that failure to identify them was frustrating for me and the finders and clearly a terrible loss of possible knowledge, as such we have teamed up.

In short this is taking extinct units, and miscellaneous buttons and tying them together. Finders can end up owning 'unique unrecorded' buttons (although not hugely valuable despite this tag) and researchers can study the findings as we intend to either publish online, or in a journal, or book form, so that future researchers won't be in the same position we are at the moment where we are left guessing, what unit, from where, when, and is it...?

So if you have any volunteer, militia, or early military buttons, please do post them on this thread. Often these buttons have monogrammed entwined letters, some are crowned others are not, if in doubt or you have wondered, add it, some of the rarest ones don't comply to the normal styles. These buttons can often end in the letters V, I, C, or Y but there are many other types, so if in doubt post it up. If you can add a location by way of nearest town and county that really helps as circumstantial evidence as does any makers name or back stamps or just a photo of the back if you cannot make any out.

In short our knowledge of military history can be expanded enormously by the help of those on here.

Many thanks for reading and I will kick off demonstrating the use of this with some recent examples.

BY
Last edited by blue_yeti on Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My Hammered Score, 341 not out (yet)

Proud member of Legenda- recovering Missing in Action soldiers on the Eastern Front

Dig out those early military and militia buttons and record them at https://asahelena.wixsite.com/militarybuttons

blue_yeti

Re: The Early Military Button project

Post by blue_yeti »

OK I will kick off with these two.

they show the letters IBV and I found one 10 years ago and one 7 years ago, in different fields but in central Essex where I detect. They have always puzzled me and where unidentifed. Now by comparing records we know the following:

The 'IBV' one is quite a 'local' unit and pertains to the 'Ingatestone & Brentwood Volunteer Infantry', commission dates 19 July 1798, disbanded 1801. OC Major Thomas Havers, Lieutenants Charles Sidney William Newman, Richard Woodgate John Manby. The unit is not re-raised in 1803, however William Newman became a Captain in the Harlow or Fifth Troop of the Essex Union Legion 24 September 1803.( I also note a Major Richard N H Newman as OC the Havering Cavalry). I cannot find any of the other 'I & B' officers serving again 1803 onwards.

So the only IBV is a unit we knew that existed but we didnt know what their buttons looked like, we do now and thus these are the only recorded examples, but I am certain more can now be ID;ed.

BY
Attachments
IBV Ingatestone.jpg
IBV Ingatestone.jpg (342.86 KiB) Viewed 34439 times

Proud member of Legenda- recovering Missing in Action soldiers on the Eastern Front

Dig out those early military and militia buttons and record them at https://asahelena.wixsite.com/militarybuttons

blue_yeti

Post by blue_yeti »

Here is another example... This was found by UKDN member String Billy and was just a nameless BVI monogam, it has now been allocated to

It pertains to the little known unit the Bawtry Volunteer Infantry 1803-c1814. This was a four company corps under the command of Major Commandant Robert, Viscount Galway. Bawtry was then still navigable and so was quite important strategically. The officers do not appear in what became the Local Militia for the area Strafforth & Tickhill, and therefore this means they probably continued to serve without Government Allowances.

Again a one off and nice interesting local find.

BY
Attachments
Button 1.JPG
Button 1.JPG (2.3 MiB) Viewed 34433 times

blue_yeti

Post by blue_yeti »

And this is my last offering for now showing another early button of different type but still very much of interest.

the button on the left reads XIV over LD. This is a button for the 14th Light Dragoons circa 1776-90 but all the recorded examples show XIV KLD (for Kings Light Dragoons) It may be this is another unknown variety such is the non standard and little known details of this era.

Look forward to seeing any additions and thanks in advance for your help

BY
Attachments
XIV LD.jpg
XIV LD.jpg (22.69 KiB) Viewed 34432 times

Steve Rice

Post by Steve Rice »

Excellent stuff BY. I wish you all the best, when you are burning the midnight oil. :g62: :g50:
Creator of

http://www.englishcoindatabase.co.uk
(Help identify English Coins)

http://www.treasurehunting.tv
(UK and Worldwide Metal Detecting and Treasure Hunting News)

silver fox
UKDN Bronze Supporter and UKDN Magazine Contributor
Main Detector: XP POWER -Vista Gold

Post by silver fox »

Warwichshire militia 1790-1810.JPG
Warwichshire militia 1790-1810.JPG (26.73 KiB) Viewed 34419 times
Armagh Militia 1794.1816.JPG
Armagh Militia 1794.1816.JPG (39.71 KiB) Viewed 34419 times
7th Dragoon Guards 1855.1930.JPG
7th Dragoon Guards 1855.1930.JPG (82.46 KiB) Viewed 34419 times
18ct Military Button.JPG
18ct Military Button.JPG (36.07 KiB) Viewed 34419 times
1 of my better buttons :g50:and some others
arado 130 xp goldmaxx power hawkeye powermax 2 {and a lot of luck}

silver fox

Post by silver fox »

Light Dragoons 1800.JPG
Light Dragoons 1800.JPG (32.25 KiB) Viewed 34414 times
5th Reg west yorkshire militia 1800-10.JPG
5th Reg west yorkshire militia 1800-10.JPG (29.1 KiB) Viewed 34414 times
3rd Kings own Reg of Dragoons 1800-18.JPG
3rd Kings own Reg of Dragoons 1800-18.JPG (25.67 KiB) Viewed 34414 times
1st Kings Dragoon Guards 1820.JPG
1st Kings Dragoon Guards 1820.JPG (31.76 KiB) Viewed 34414 times
Some more :g42:

blue_yeti

Post by blue_yeti »

Exactly the kind of thing!!

In the first mail, the Warwickshire one there is one other recorded that was found at Coxheath Camp where the unit was stationed 1778-82 so can be dated to then

The second with GR does it read Armagh underneath? Certainly looks that way in which case I havent see before

The next one with the scroll is the Princess Royal Dragoon Guards and dates 1855-1927.

The last the Sudbury Volunteers is a beaut and again I will pass it along and see what else we have on them and whether this type is recorded or not as it doesnt show in the currently sparse records!

I will look at the second mail now!!

BY

archer
Registered User + UKDN Magazine Contributer

Post by archer »

Duke of Lancasters Own Yeomanry button. Found on a range site which judging by the ammunition found was in use from the period 1860-1890 period.
Attachments
web duke of lancasters yeomanry button.jpg
web duke of lancasters yeomanry button.jpg (302.42 KiB) Viewed 34403 times

silver fox

Post by silver fox »

18ct Coast Artillery (Small).JPG
18ct Coast Artillery (Small).JPG (24.8 KiB) Viewed 34399 times
Image0002 (Small).JPG
Image0002 (Small).JPG (47.12 KiB) Viewed 34399 times
9th Queens Royal Lancers 1855.1901.JPG
9th Queens Royal Lancers 1855.1901.JPG (82.31 KiB) Viewed 34399 times
Oxfordshure Yeomanry Cavalry 1855.1901.JPG
Oxfordshure Yeomanry Cavalry 1855.1901.JPG (83.2 KiB) Viewed 34399 times
Some more of my buttons .

blue_yeti

Post by blue_yeti »

In your second post SF they are.

1 Light Dragoons, does it have any numbers above or below?

2. The second is the 5th West Yorks Militia and dates to c1798

3. The Third doesn't look like most styles of the time but you would have to presume its 3rd Dragoons but they certainly do not appear to have used this style so i will forward this one one.

4. Is an officers button of the 1st Dragoon Guards and dates to circa 1800 but cannot be later than 1855.

Many thanks for these

BY

blue_yeti

Post by blue_yeti »

Hi Archer

Very nice button. As you say the Duke of Lancasters Own Yeomanry. Initially formed in 1828 as the Lancashire Yeomanry Cavalry they then became the The Duke of Lancaster's Corps of Cavalry in 1834 but 'very shortly afterwards' changed to the Duke of Lancasters Own. The later examples seem to have the world Yeomanry added so I would think this dates yours to 'shortly after' 1834... Thus your date with the ammo would seem to be absolutely spot on.

Cheers
BY

Georgian Tim
UKDN Valued Member and Diamond Supporter
UKDN Valued Member and Diamond Supporter
Main Detector: XP Deus

Post by Georgian Tim »

Here's an early Welsh one for you:
Attachments
RWButton.jpg
RWButton.jpg (70.01 KiB) Viewed 34389 times
I have been Deus'd

stupot

Post by stupot »

Here's a few oldies from my collection..
Attachments
military buttons1.jpg
military buttons1.jpg (1.64 MiB) Viewed 34383 times

blue_yeti

Post by blue_yeti »

Hi SF,

Heres the third emails worth...

1. Is a coastal Artillery Button of 1790-1802 and in much better condition than any others I have seen found.

2. This is a really nice East Kent Militia button. Between 1803-33 they had the regimental precedent number above the EK so this must date 1760-1803 or just after 1803 but they were blended into The Buffs, so I think the early date is most likely nut will include this one to be sent on.

3. This is a button of the 9th Lancers and this design came in 1835.

4. This is the Oxfordshire Yeomanry Cavalry. They were named the 'Royal' Oxfordshire up until circa 1834-40 when the name changed to as shown. It cannot be later than 1881 as they then became the Oxfordshire Hussars

Thanks for sharing and I will report back when I have sent them on and hear back anything interesting

Cheers
BY

Return to “On-Going Research Projects”