Where's it gone, was it there ???

rodp
meble kuchenne warszawa

Where's it gone, was it there ???

Post by rodp »

As some of you may have read I have been trying to locate a club, preferably close and without a waiting list. Thanks to all the folk who replied with info, it was taken on board.
I came across a listing in the NCMD website for....... Wyre Forest Historical Research and Recovery Group ..... but the contact, a Tony Perry from Kidderminster, has not lived at the contact address for over 4 years.
This is the closest club to me so, does anyone know if this club is still going and where it is?

Thanks,
Rod

jcmaloney
UKDN Diamond Supporter and UKDN Magazine Contributor
UKDN Diamond Supporter and UKDN Magazine Contributor

Re: Where's it gone, was it there ???

Post by jcmaloney »

I founded this via Google..might help ??

http://archive.worcesternews.co.uk/2007 ... 75825.html

Library comes up with the answers
From the Kidderminster Shuttle, first published Thursday 19th Jul 2007.

AS chairman of the newly formed Wyre Forest Historical Research Group, and therefore interested in all aspects of the history and heritage of the area, I was interested in Sue Carson's letter to you about her ancestor Benjamin Hepworth, whom she thought had been a Mayor of Kidderminster. I thought that readers might be interested to hear that between us, Sue and myself have been able to piece together the real story of Benjamin Hepworth.

Born in 1843 in Cleckheaton, Yorkshire, Benjamin trained as a chemist and probably worked in the dyeing industry in Yorkshire before moving his company to Kidderminster in 1881. There is a bound volume of The Shuttle dated 1903, known as the Industrial Issue, which is available for all to see in Kidderminster Library's Local Studies area. It is a marvellous snapshot of the industry in Kidderminster at the time and includes a brief history of Benjamin Hepworth and Co. According to this, the firm started in Callows Lane before moving to Coventry Street.

Various trade directories, also available in Kidderminster Library, chart the movement of the firm from Church Street in 1884 to Coventry Street. Benjamin himself is shown as living at Comberton Terrace before moving to George Street. In 1912 his address is given as Alpine Villa, George Street. It would seem that whilst he never quite became Mayor, he was elected an Alderman.

Sue could have been confused by Alderman George Eddy, four times Mayor of Kidderminster (his portrait is available in Kidderminster Library's Photographic Collection), but he was also the managing director of Hepworth and Co in 1919 and the owner by 1925.

All of this information is available in the local history collection at Kidderminster Library.

G HILL Avocet Drive Kidderminster

rodp

Re: Where's it gone, was it there ???

Post by rodp »

I founded this via Google..might help ??
Thanks JCMaloney, I've searched high and low, even knocked on the contacts door, all to no avail. Searched the Kiddy news etc but didn't come up with that link.
I've emailed the group now, just waiting for reply.

Thanks again,
Rod

Return to “General Interest”