Should this be reported?

mikelong
meble kuchenne warszawa

Should this be reported?

Post by mikelong »

30+ bronze Roman coins found scattered over an area of about the size of a tennis court ... should this be reported as a hoard? :?:

dynamite_davis

Re: Should this be reported?

Post by dynamite_davis »

It would certainly be classed as a hoard mate
Goldmaxx Power, Minelab Explorer, XP Goldmaxx, Whites XLT, Fisher 1265x, Arado 120b

Deetektor
UKDN Gold Supporter and UKDN Magazine Contributor

Post by Deetektor »

Either way, the coins should be reported, hoard or not. :wink:
Support the PAS
You know it makes sense

Teknetics T2
XP Goldmaxx Power

petem

Post by petem »

It's certainly a concentration of coins Mike, worthy of recording.

monkeybean
Main Detector: Xp deus

Post by monkeybean »

It should be reported but i doubt if its a hoard, any busy roman site always has handfuls of bronze's in small areas.

dynamite_davis

Post by dynamite_davis »

Didnt say it was a hoard... :D just that it will be classed as one!!! been there got the T-Shirt :roll:
Goldmaxx Power, Minelab Explorer, XP Goldmaxx, Whites XLT, Fisher 1265x, Arado 120b

treker

Post by treker »

I'd be very careful on what you report if I was you I'd ask the farmers permission first mate,you could lose that land and the farmer might not be very pleased either.

Deetektor

Post by Deetektor »

Even if the farmer isn't happy about it being reported as coming from his land (although I don't know why they should ?), it could still be recorded at Parish level.
Support the PAS
You know it makes sense

Teknetics T2
XP Goldmaxx Power

Badger

Post by Badger »

definate report (or is it record?) if they all come from a certain area, and not anywhere else, it could represent a site... and the farmer will thank you... as this would actually increase his payments ( and no he would not have to pay for excvations OR lose the area )

ask m300572 for more details

but this is a good thing... if you feel worried.. ask m300572 - he will confirm this (I hope)

it could be a building...

dynamite_davis

Post by dynamite_davis »

My local FLO told me that hoards or potential hoards have to be fully declared... i.e exact find spot etc not just the parish..... she may of been err fibbing though lol

Steve-B

Post by Steve-B »

I agree with Badger, this is a good thing, I know I would be well chuffed to have located what may turn out to be an interesting site.

The coins may or may not turn out to be classed as a goard, but the important thing is to record them, I seriously doubt any harm would come from this.

mikelong

Post by mikelong »

Thank you all for your responses :beer :g30: :g31:
I have a meeting with others who were at the site, one of whom is a friend of the landowner, so we will discuss it and take it forward with our FLO (she's a bit elusive at the moment!).
I'll post an outcome when I have it.
Badger ... I have sent a p.m. to m300572 to ask if he would be good enough to comment.
Any other comments would still be appreciated :g12:

Leadlumps

Post by Leadlumps »

Mike to be honest unless the landowner is in the higher level stewerdship scheme and the site does not come into archaeological protection under that scheme then it's up to you and him-her :)

damnyankeeuk

Post by damnyankeeuk »

Mate,

It meets the definition of a hoard, and by law has to be reported, the landowner has no say in the matter, unless you want to break the law, you have to report it....end of story

Leadlumps

Post by Leadlumps »

damnyankeeuk wrote:Mate,

It meets the definition of a hoard, and by law has to be reported, the landowner has no say in the matter, unless you want to break the law, you have to report it....end of story

but groups of more than nine non-precious metal coins, when found together

How far apart would they have to be.?

Return to “The Law”