Old favourite soon to be ruined forever!

All discussions and threads relating to the "Green Waste" issue should be placed in here.
When the green waste issue has been resolved, this forum and the threads within it
will either be moved or deleted.
jcmaloney
UKDN Diamond Supporter and UKDN Magazine Contributor
meble kuchenne warszawa

Re: Old favourite soon to be ruined forever!

Post by jcmaloney »

bodvoc wrote:Truly awful mess. I think that this 'compost' is seriously going to be a long standing health hazard and also a big threat to our hobby.
Am i right in assuming that this stuff is from the food waste collection from the council? If so, then this is a national problem that will need to be highlighted by our national detecting bodies.
Like the NCMD have been since 2012 & before???? http://www.forumukdetectornet.co.uk/php ... 3&t=114301

To be honest after at least 5 years of highlighting articles, petitions, meeting MP`s and other organisations etc etc with very little support from the general detecting community it becomes evermore difficult to "fight our corner".
Then when we use somebody elses pictures for another article we get "thats not Green Waste"...... sometimes you are damned whatever you try & do. :-?

The irony is that nobody in the hobby seems to care......until it lands in "their" fields.

oldfossil

Post by oldfossil »

Jellytussle wrote:
Is this where you anonymously report your farmer... behind their backs ... so to speak.
Try reading it before you make your mind up.....
I have. I prefer a factual approach .. getting hard evidence that the food chain is being harmed, getting hard evidence as to whether wildlife is being harmed. Working with, rather than circumventing, the farming community is the commonsense way to go. Taking pictures, and anonymously reporting farmers, doesnt fit comfortably with my rule set.
If there is a problem with soil quality I am sure that the "Soil Association" would appreciate a heads up... has anyone considered bringing them into the picture :hahaha: :hahaha: :hahaha: :g38: :g38: :g38: , or does our input finish the moment our own particular pictures are uploaded?

jcmaloney

Post by jcmaloney »

Yes the Soil Association have been spoken too...... they quoted the PAS100 regulations as sufficient. End of their interest.
Farmers get "approved" compost for free/little money. End of their interest.
So, on the basis nobody seems to bothered except us,.... should we just accept it?

oldfossil

Post by oldfossil »

jcmaloney wrote:Yes the Soil Association have been spoken too...... they quoted the PAS100 regulations as sufficient. End of their interest.
So, on the basis nobody seems to bothered except us,.... should we just accept it?
Never take No for an answer, and always exhaust every possible route... that said if the soil association are happy with the environmental effects of Green waste, then we need to consider ruling out "food chain contamination" as a line of attack. There have been some who claim that wildlife have been affected, if so the RSPCA would be interested, but we need facts, not supposition.
If NCMD members were asked to pay a £1 levy with next years subscription ... then we could get a fighting fund together... maybe we could sponsor a Phd thesis, so that we can get to the bottom of the matter... to establish the facts.
Big guns are out there supporting GW... so we need to fight fire with fire... and sorry to say that in the present climate, petitions and contacting MP's just doesn't cut the mustard, however well intended the motives.

jcmaloney

Post by jcmaloney »

oldfossil wrote:
jcmaloney wrote:Yes the Soil Association have been spoken too...... they quoted the PAS100 regulations as sufficient. End of their interest.
Never take No for an answer, and always exhaust every possible route... that said if the soil association are happy with the environmental effects of Green waste, then we need to consider ruling out "food chain contamination" as a line of attack. There have been some who claim that wildlife have been affected, if so the RSPCA would be interested, but we need facts, not supposition.
If NCMD members were asked to pay a £1 levy with next years subscription ... then we could get a fighting fund together... maybe we could sponsor a Phd thesis, so that we can get to the bottom of the matter... to establish the facts.
Big guns are out there supporting GW... so we need to fight fire with fire... and sorry to say that in the present climate, petitions and contacting MP's just doesn't cut the mustard, however well intended the motives.
I`ll give you one fact....... the majority of members would "jump ship" to save a £1 let alone charge them extra!
The guys at Newcastle Uni are looking at it from an archaeological perspective and developed the App which, when used/set up correctly, could establish a level of evidence........ remember folk slated us for trying.

Personally I have spoken to "my" farmers and showed them the contaminants, and that works for many on a friends to friend basis but the ever increasing large contractors don`t deal with sentiment. I once contacted Weetabix who purchase lots of grain grown on CGW land in South Leics/Northants.... their answer was... "contractors only use PAS100 approved soil improver".
Its a cheap product and the consequences won`t be seen for a long time is the attitude, business first.

Now if somebody could prove a link between metallic contamination and Alzheimer's we would be headline news!

Strollingby
UKDN Supporter - Bronze
UKDN Supporter - Bronze

Post by Strollingby »

I sympathise, one of my best fields has had this green waste spread on it.............the field is no longer worth detecting, its full of metal waste, a real mess.

oldfossil

Post by oldfossil »

With the greatest respect to all concerned ... "defeatism" is not the answer.
I am 1000% positive that there are many cash rich clubs out there ... chomping at the bit to donate monies to worthy causes ... and for goodness sake, at least give members the option of paying a quid extra for their insurance ... as opposed to writing off us all as mean in mind and mean in the pocket.
Again the problem with the campaigns to date is that they are self-serving, and those in any position of power can see straight through the thinly disguised eco-protests ... they all know that we are really only concerned about the quality of beeps... why should detectorists be concerned about enviromental matters?? Our protests dont carry any weight because they are not based on factual evidence.
Go get the scientific evidence to support the negative aspects of GW ... then they will have to sit up and listen, they wont have a choice!

lee greagsbey
Site Admin
Main Detector: Deus, CTX, Excalibur
Location: A Surrey coddiwomple exiled into East Hampshire working back in Surrey

Post by lee greagsbey »

oldfossil wrote:at least give members the option of paying a quid extra for their insurance ... as opposed to writing off us all as mean in mind and mean in the pocket.
I would be very happy to pay an extra £1..... :g50: to help find a solution for this awful practice.... :g44:
XP Deus V5.2
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Excalibur 1000
Garrett Pro Pointer
Makro Pointer
XP Mi-6 Pinpointer
NCMD

“Only the devil and I know the whereabouts of my treasure, and the one of us who lives the longest should take it all ” Edward Teach
{P:

Jellytussle
UKDN Supporter - Bronze
UKDN Supporter - Bronze

Post by Jellytussle »

Go get the scientific evidence to support the negative aspects of GW
But you don't want to support the only people who are trying to do a proper survey to gather some evidence....

oldfossil

Post by oldfossil »

I will support any survey/project that can stand up to scientific and statistical scrutiny ... and without blowing my own trumpet I am a master of both!

Ghost
UKDN Valued Member

Post by Ghost »

On a similar note,
The field I found a gold noble, is now a wind farm.
If u believe.,look 2 the dawn and u will know that i'm watching and waiting for the time when we'll always b together...There can be only one..IXOYE

oldfossil

Post by oldfossil »

Ghost wrote:On a similar note,
The field I found a gold noble, is now a wind farm.
Without wind farms we'll no dont move back into a Mini ice age ... try digging through 10ft of sheet ice :g38: :g38: :g38:

Hectorsfarm_
UKDN Valued Member and Diamond Supporter
UKDN Valued Member and Diamond Supporter
Main Detector: XP Deus V 5.1

Post by Hectorsfarm_ »

I've just found out several of my favourite fields covering ancient land is to have a 12,000 house 'garden town' built all over it. Sold out by 'our' council :g44: One of the farmers land is being compulsory purchased...I feel physically sick... :g44: :g44: :g44:

oldfossil

Post by oldfossil »

Hectorsfarm_ wrote:I've just found out several of my favourite fields covering ancient land is to have a 12,000 house 'garden town' built all over it. Sold out by 'our' council :g44: One of the farmers land is being compulsory purchased...I feel physically sick... :g44: :g44: :g44:
I totally sympathise ... but what can we do? Even voting Brexit couldnt stop this mess, and to make matters worse shop prices are now set to rocket!!!

lee greagsbey
Site Admin
Main Detector: Deus, CTX, Excalibur
Location: A Surrey coddiwomple exiled into East Hampshire working back in Surrey

Post by lee greagsbey »

Hectorsfarm_ wrote:I've just found out several of my favourite fields covering ancient land is to have a 12,000 house 'garden town' built all over it. Sold out by 'our' council :g44: One of the farmers land is being compulsory purchased...I feel physically sick... :g44: :g44: :g44:
I feel your pain Hec, I detect with a 3 other like minded friends and invite each other onto our permissions. One of my buddies permissions less than 1 mile from my house has been sold off for development to build 80 houses, it's the only part and biggest of the medieval village left the rest has been built on or a private spa complex or owned by the NT.... All for profit not been granted access on it for 1 year as the owners and developers don't want any more finds found and recorded with PAS..... :g43: :g44:
XP Deus V5.2
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Excalibur 1000
Garrett Pro Pointer
Makro Pointer
XP Mi-6 Pinpointer
NCMD

“Only the devil and I know the whereabouts of my treasure, and the one of us who lives the longest should take it all ” Edward Teach
{P:

Return to “"Green Waste" Issues”