Handed back to finder?

The place to find the latest news story . . .
you can make a comment if you wish!
Donnydave
UKDN Valued Member and Diamond Supporter
meble kuchenne warszawa
Main Detector: XP Deus

Handed back to finder?

Post by Donnydave »

It seems strange something so nice is handed back when I have had badly damaged gold items taken off me :g43:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... field.html

Old Git John
UKDN Valued Member and Platinum Supporter
UKDN Valued Member and Platinum Supporter
Main Detector: SIMPLEX

Re: Handed back to finder?

Post by Old Git John »

Strange it is, lucky for him yes it is. Makes you wonder at times.
I used to have an issue regarding having an inferiority complex, I no longer have an issue with being inferior.

dig-it-pete
Finds Advisor & Moderator
Main Detector: Manticore

Post by dig-it-pete »

Wow what a great article Dave and a brilliant advert for the Deus detector - everyone dreams of finding something like that and not because of the value (for me) but because of the beauty and craftsmanship and history behind it, I wonder if he can afford to pay off the landowner and keep it - I know I would :g58:
Minelab Manticore

oldfossil

Post by oldfossil »

I think that there are many factors when the committee decides to keep or hand back. Wouldnt it be great if someone from the TVC could explain how this part of the process works? Maybe an idea for a "Searcher" article?

dig-it-pete
Main Detector: Manticore

Post by dig-it-pete »

oldfossil wrote:I think that there are many factors when the committee decides to keep or hand back. Wouldnt it be great if someone from the TVC could explain how this part of the process works? Maybe an idea for a "Searcher" article?
:g58: :g50:
Minelab Manticore

Donnydave

Post by Donnydave »

i think maybe the present overwhelming amount of detector finds and the lack of money in the museums could mean a lot of nice finds could be getting handed back in the future :g43:

jcmaloney
UKDN Diamond Supporter and UKDN Magazine Contributor

Post by jcmaloney »

oldfossil wrote:I think that there are many factors when the committee decides to keep or hand back. Wouldnt it be great if someone from the TVC could explain how this part of the process works? Maybe an idea for a "Searcher" article?
The TVC do not decide if an item is "kept or handed back".

The TVC facilitate the valuation not the funding or acquisition of an item.

Once valued the item is offered (at value) to the Museums network, generally local first and then nationally (relative to importance of find). If there is no expression of interest then item is disclaimed.

Likewise if a museum (local or national) expresses an interest then they have to raise the funding...if they can`t it`s disclaimed. (Hence the "pressure" for finder/landowner or both to waive their share!)

Think thats not far wrong. :g50:

oldfossil

Post by oldfossil »

jcmaloney wrote:
The TVC do not decide if an item is "kept or handed back".

The TVC facilitate the valuation not the funding or acquisition of an item.

Once valued the item is offered (at value) to the Museums network, generally local first and then nationally (relative to importance of find). If there is no expression of interest then item is disclaimed.

Likewise if a museum (local or national) expresses an interest then they have to raise the funding...if they can`t it`s disclaimed. (Hence the "pressure" for finder/landowner or both to waive their share!)

Think thats not far wrong. :g50:
Fair dues. How can an item can be disclaimed within weeks?? Or am I missing something overly obvious??? For a museum to make an offer I am guessing it would take on average 3 months ... because that is how committees work, isn't it? Hence to close this off how long does the TVC give museums to make an offer? Thanks in advance.
Please dont take offence ... its in my nature to challenge everything, particularly provenance of information and data... its in my DNA so to speak.

jcmaloney

Post by jcmaloney »

According to the Daily Wail it was found last June so plenty of time to be disclaimed. The £25k value is only auctioneers hype. Our club has had items disclaimed in weeks when the FLO has advised the coroner such.

philthedigger
Main Detector: XP DĺEUS

Post by philthedigger »

The "Sandbach Brooch", as the PAS christened it, was found in 2011 by my good friend and detecting buddy Stan (Lobo) Cooper. It was declared treasure at inquest, went through the system and was disclaimed and returned in 2012, then went to auction. The bidding was opened at £10,000 and the hammer dropped immediately (?????) Stan was then contacted by the auctioneer asking for the brooch as he had a private buyer for it but Stan would not be allowed to be present during the negotiations (??????)
Being the man that he is, Stan refused the auctioneers "kind" offer and subsequently, as the farmer wanted to keep it, agreed a token value with him.
"There are no strangers, just friends we've yet to meet."

Onwards and upwards,................to infirmity and beyond

jcmaloney

Post by jcmaloney »

Well there we go..... alls well that ends well!

Donnydave

Post by Donnydave »

philthedigger wrote:The "Sandbach Brooch", as the PAS christened it, was found in 2011 by my good friend and detecting buddy Stan (Lobo) Cooper. It was declared treasure at inquest, went through the system and was disclaimed and returned in 2012, then went to auction. The bidding was opened at £10,000 and the hammer dropped immediately (?????) Stan was then contacted by the auctioneer asking for the brooch as he had a private buyer for it but Stan would not be allowed to be present during the negotiations (??????)
Being the man that he is, Stan refused the auctioneers "kind" offer and subsequently, as the farmer wanted to keep it, agreed a token value with him.
Too much of that back room dealing going off, but I am glad the farmer got it back :g50:

Return to “LATEST NEWS”