Livery buttons

A section created specifically for on-going metal detecting-based research
projects. Please do not start a new thread unless it is specifically related to a topic.
DiOz
UKDN Valued Member and Diamond Supporter
meble kuchenne warszawa
Main Detector: Ace 250

Re: Livery buttons

Post by DiOz »

GREENWOOD is the only family I can find with a crest like this...
Image Click Here
...Dave :g43:
Garrett Ace 250

kev woodward
Site Admin
Main Detector: XP Deus 1

Post by kev woodward »

The unicorn one may be a variation of the Upcher family Click Here
I have become comfortably numb

lee greagsbey
Site Admin
Main Detector: Deus, CTX, Excalibur
Location: A Surrey coddiwomple exiled into East Hampshire working back in Surrey

Post by lee greagsbey »

kev woodward wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 4:49 pm First one is for the Earl of Portsmouth (Wallop family) Click Here although the mirror and comb are in the wrong hands in that image.

Still working on the others.
Thanks Kev, much appreciated... :g50: any ideas while the mirror and comb are in the wrong hands?
XP Deus V5.2
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Excalibur 1000
Garrett Pro Pointer
Makro Pointer
XP Mi-6 Pinpointer
NCMD

“Only the devil and I know the whereabouts of my treasure, and the one of us who lives the longest should take it all ” Edward Teach
{P:

lee greagsbey
Site Admin
Location: A Surrey coddiwomple exiled into East Hampshire working back in Surrey

Post by lee greagsbey »

DiOz wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 6:17 pm Image
Families with a crest the same or similar... Click Here
Thanks DiOz, tricky one that alot of families there, i couldn't spot any with a Hampshire link but obviously they're hidden in there somewhere... :g43:
XP Deus V5.2
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Excalibur 1000
Garrett Pro Pointer
Makro Pointer
XP Mi-6 Pinpointer
NCMD

“Only the devil and I know the whereabouts of my treasure, and the one of us who lives the longest should take it all ” Edward Teach
{P:

lee greagsbey
Site Admin

Post by lee greagsbey »

DiOz wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 7:08 pm GREENWOOD is the only family I can find with a crest like this...
Image Click Here

Thanks again DiOz,
F. R., Surgeon, Glenden House, 21, St. George's Square, Portsea, is the most likely Greenwood... :g50:
XP Deus V5.2
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Excalibur 1000
Garrett Pro Pointer
Makro Pointer
XP Mi-6 Pinpointer
NCMD

{P:

lee greagsbey
Site Admin

Post by lee greagsbey »

kev woodward wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 7:11 pm The unicorn one may be a variation of the Upcher family Click Here

Thanks again Kev, much appreciated... :g50:
XP Deus V5.2
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Excalibur 1000
Garrett Pro Pointer
Makro Pointer
XP Mi-6 Pinpointer
NCMD

{P:

DiOz

Post by DiOz »

lee greagsbey wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 8:52 pm
kev woodward wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 4:49 pm First one is for the Earl of Portsmouth (Wallop family) Click Here although the mirror and comb are in the wrong hands in that image.

Thanks Kev, much appreciated... :g50: any ideas while the mirror and comb are in the wrong hands?
Crest example pics are often quite different to how they should be, and when they're not the same as the crest description...it's usually the description that's correct...as is the case with this Earl of Portsmouth crest...
"A mermaid holding in her sinister hand a mirror, and in her dexter a comb, all ppr."
Garrett Ace 250

kev woodward
Site Admin
Main Detector: XP Deus 1

Post by kev woodward »

What Dave said :g58:
I have become comfortably numb

lee greagsbey
Site Admin

Post by lee greagsbey »

DiOz wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 1:20 pm
lee greagsbey wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 8:52 pm

Crest example pics are often quite different to how they should be, and when they're not the same as the crest description...it's usually the description that's correct...as is the case with this Earl of Portsmouth crest...
"A mermaid holding in her sinister hand a mirror, and in her dexter a comb, all ppr."
Okay thank you Dave and Kev, much appreciated for all your help... :g50: :g38: I've a few more to dig out a post...
XP Deus V5.2
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Excalibur 1000
Garrett Pro Pointer
Makro Pointer
XP Mi-6 Pinpointer
NCMD

{P:

lee greagsbey
Site Admin

Post by lee greagsbey »

A couple more for identification if possible, please...

This one was found near Liphook, Hampshire
20210321_192055.jpg
20210321_192055.jpg (59.04 KiB) Viewed 97749 times
This one was found near Farnham, Surrey
20210321_192032.jpg
20210321_192032.jpg (58.3 KiB) Viewed 97749 times
XP Deus V5.2
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Excalibur 1000
Garrett Pro Pointer
Makro Pointer
XP Mi-6 Pinpointer
NCMD

{P:

DiOz

Post by DiOz »

Families with this crest... Click Here
(Click the name to see the details.)

The other one is a woman's livery button, but will be hard to attribute to a specific person or family as the lion rampant was used by many.
Garrett Ace 250

lee greagsbey
Site Admin

Post by lee greagsbey »

Thank you DiOz, much appreciated as always... :g50:
Is there any thing specific that denotes the second button as a woman's livery button, such as the crest within the lozenges?
XP Deus V5.2
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Excalibur 1000
Garrett Pro Pointer
Makro Pointer
XP Mi-6 Pinpointer
NCMD

{P:

muddy
UKDN Supporter
Main Detector: XP Deus

Post by muddy »

lee greagsbey wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 1:31 pm Thank you DiOz, much appreciated as always... :g50:
Is there any thing specific that denotes the second button as a woman's livery button, such as the crest within the lozenges?
I read somewhere the lozenge denotes a woman’s crest, but also that the woman is unmarried. :g58:

lee greagsbey
Site Admin

Post by lee greagsbey »

muddy wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 4:27 pm
lee greagsbey wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 1:31 pm Thank you DiOz, much appreciated as always... :g50:
I read somewhere the lozenge denotes a woman’s crest, but also that the woman is unmarried. :g58:
Thank you muddy, much appreciated... :g50:
XP Deus V5.2
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Excalibur 1000
Garrett Pro Pointer
Makro Pointer
XP Mi-6 Pinpointer
NCMD

{P:

DiOz

Post by DiOz »

The lozenge-shaped shield indicates it's a woman's livery button... https://sites.google.com/site/liverybut ... ---lozenge

Women's livery buttons with more elaborate lozenge-shaped shields... https://sites.google.com/site/liverybut ... s---scroll

The women would have been unmarried when these buttons were worn, but most were probably on a servants uniform where the head of the household was a widow.

As well as women not having Arms on regular-shaped shields...they also weren't allowed to display a family crest.
I've read that the Queen was the only woman allowed to have a crest.
Garrett Ace 250

Return to “On-Going Research Projects”