No - but there may be exceptions
0%
No - absolutely not
0%

Total votes: 16777300

anonymous
meble kuchenne warszawa

Post by anonymous »

If anyone one would like to see the argument as to a good working relationship with professional archaeologists (in an ideal world it would be fantastic)from their perspective I suggest you try this,,,
Pop over to the Britarch site,join it ,then in a cheery newbies voice on your first posting, ,say hello,how are you all, good to be here,and that you like metal detecting,nothing else,just that,then stand back and watch the abuse,ridicule,slander and all other nasties get thrown cleanly into your well meaning face,but on the other hand be expected to welcome them here.
I'm not kidding!,like I say it would be great to get on with each other ,as at the end of the day we all have one interest i.e our herritage,but it will never happen,not whilst the :old school: are running things.
regards kevin.

rufus

Post by rufus »

Kev, your question is noted and will be discussed when we finally get to talk. Those who are invited and who accept the invitation to join in will appear along the bottm line of the section as mods. When enough people are there we'll start. Anyone else with burning issues or pointed questions can and should PM one of the liaison team.

Crow, do it! Good idea, but can we keep it as a list so that we don't have to pick apart conflicting arguments in order to make sense of it?

jeb

ok

Post by jeb »

Deepseeker !, i personally think `Paranoia`is seriously ,below the belt mate.
I would not describe myself as paranoid, merely cautious, with a hint of ,suspicious,and a pinch of ,i don`t think theres a word for this, `watch my back`. So be fair and don`t sink to try and belittle my thinking on this matter, `just` because it doesn`t tally with yours.
I don`t resort to calling you a Judas, just because you want to play with the Archies now do i ?
From day one of metaldetectors being introduced as a buyable item in this country, in if my memory serves me well possibly 1970, and around about that time i bought one. A SOL INVICTUS BFO COIN PROBE. What were you doing then? Did you have one then ?
I have been detecting since then. So all these years i`ve never had No trouble with Archies, now i see it like this . People come into this hobby after only having a metaldetector 2 years and think they know all about metaldetecting, and its policy`concerning the rights and wrongs and want to change how things have gone on for the last 34 years, by fraternizing with the very people that would , if they had the power to send metaldetecting to heaven in one fell swoop of the pen.
Since i`ve been doing metaldetecting i`ve never had to work with Archies , never wanted to work with Archies and never had call to work with them. I just do my HOBBY.
Yet , i obviously read about the Archies hatred to wards our hobby, and their contempt . Its OK you quoting me the few that are detector friendly , but what about the lot that are still not detector friendly no ones coming out in force `en mass` to speak on their behalf ,which i would prefer they do, as we could get a REAL debate going then ,and see what the real side of the coin is. NOT a few detector friendly Archie's as have come forward, and told us how they would like it to be. I want the Big fish to speak from the Archaeologists camp, then on hearing their points i could draw a better picture in my mind as to whether or not detecting has a future if its left to the hard core of Archies if they can swing it.
I do of course understand why you want to speak with them and try and get them to understand our side of the coin. But what i am against is this WANTING and a yearning by some of you to want the Archies Laying the law down about how we do this and do that. I as a decant detectorist by some standards anyway, KNOW what i should do and when i need to do it. I don`t need Archies telling me that i can`t do this, and i can`t do that. I think the way i do things now IS, and HAS been sufficiant for the last 34 yrs to be able to call myself a decant detectorist. Weve all done probably the odd mistake, but by the by, we do the right thing concerning metaldetecting. SO my answer is yes talk to Archies ,BUT only explain our present case and tell them we don`t need to work to thier guidelines, as the ones which are in operation now are fine. I see it as give them an inch ,and they will take a mile. And i truely believe what Iron hearted Gog put up in his post, as to how he sees metaldetecting in 20 yrs time if the Archies have thier way. :D 8)

anonymous

Post by anonymous »

Thanks rufus.

Steve-B

Post by Steve-B »

Jeb..mate

I agree with a lot of what you say, howver I have also been detcting a lot of years now..not as long as you as I am not an old a fart like you :lol:

And like you, I have seen the criticism slung at us from the archies, but it hasnt touched me, so I carried on detecting regardless, when I heard the old Treasure Trove laws were going to be reformed, I carried on detecting regardless, when the Treasure Act came out in 96/97 I carried on detecting regardless, when it was reviewed, no worries, carried on detecting just the same as ever, dont bother me I dont want nothing to do with damn archies anyways....when DEFRA brought its country Stewardship Scheme..didnt effect me...so I just carried on detecting regardless.....

However, things changed, something occured to me, I chnaged, all the time I have been carrying on detecting regardless, other people have been making laws regarding my hobby, making changes to those laws, implementing schemes and a miriad other thing that effect it and what I can and cant do..I saw a discussion taking place on the TT forum a discussion that although some good points were being made, was being hosted on the site that just happens to be one of our biggest detractors...all of a sudden I didnt feel I could continue to carry on detcting regardless, because if I didnt start to have a say in the future of my hobby, I honestly felt that before long I wont actually have a hobby...

That self same discussion is now taking place on the PAS site, which is as near to being a neutral site as we are gonna get...the Big Guns of Archeaology that you want to hear speak are actuallydoing so...Mike Heyward..Director of the CBA has made changes to a draft code of practice that we have all been working on, changes that we, sorry those that have got off their bums and actaullly taken the time to contribute, have suggested, he has also made a clear statement, in repsonse to a post that I..me that used to carry on regardless made to him..so, what other big names in archeaology would you also like to see making statements? cos here is one for a start.....

If any of you out there truly belive that the Archies have to power to send the hobby of detcting to heaven at the swoop of pen...then stop them..help shape the code of practice, help shape the hobby to how you want to see it in 20 years time, but help now, dont look back in 20 years time and say I told you so, I would rather look back in 20 years time and feel that because of my contributions I helped save the hobby I love.

Noone wants a code of practice that basically tells us what the archies want us to do or not to do..but it will be if you dont help form it. No code of Practice means that you have to work with archies, talk to them or interact with them at all, but if you think smart hepling to form it will still keep you detcting in 20 years time without the need for a licence, or having to prostrate yourself to restrictive laws.

A code of practice to me is the basic document that shows our responsible atttude, that negates the need for further restrictive laws or licencing to be placed on us, and if all I have to do is swallow a little pride, make some useful (hopefully) suggestions and communicate with like minded people, whatever their discipline, then I will, hopefully so will a lot of others,,,the rest of you..well....carry on regardless

Post by Guest »

Detecnicks wrote:Jeb..mate

If any of you out there truly belive that the Archies have to power to send the hobby of detcting to heaven at the swoop of pen...then stop them..help shape the code of practice, help shape the hobby to how you want to see it in 20 years time, but help now, dont look back in 20 years time and say I told you so, I would rather look back in 20 years time and feel that because of my contributions I helped save the hobby I love.

Noone wants a code of practice that basically tells us what the archies want us to do or not to do..but it will be if you dont help form it. No code of Practice means that you have to work with archies, talk to them or interact with them at all, but if you think smart hepling to form it will still keep you detcting in 20 years time without the need for a licence, or having to prostrate yourself to restrictive laws.

A code of practice to me is the basic document that shows our responsible atttude, that negates the need for further restrictive laws or licencing to be placed on us, and if all I have to do is swallow a little pride, make some useful (hopefully) suggestions and communicate with like minded people, whatever their discipline, then I will, hopefully so will a lot of others,,,the rest of you..well....carry on regardless
I agree with most of what you say here Steve.
The input from all parties should continue on the PAS forum to finalise the package that was going so well until recently. I am sure you remember the reasons it was moved from the TT forum to the PAS forum, neutral ground , as you called it.
Now all of a sudden it seems a few want the discussions moved to UKDN Liason section. Dont you think that some other parties may feel the same way about this as you and many of us did about the TT forum??
The discussion on PAS was starting to achieve a dialogue, and things were actually happening. All views and opinions were seen and discussed without the need to have them "correlated" by a team of selected people.

In short..IT WAS WORKING!!

Keep UKDN what it was, an excellent detecting forum. Leave the "political" stuff to the PAS site , where all parties seem to feel less intimidated and comfortable.
Last edited by Guest on Sun Oct 10, 2004 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jeb

ok

Post by jeb »

That to me sounds Ok Stevie, I would go along with that .
Steve (Detecnicks)I see your point, and it too sounds as you put it there Agreeable. What i fear though is if there`s going to be a fight on our hands , i would like to See you ,STEVE Detecnicks And Even STEVIESKIN on our team along side Saablady and Petethedig, Rufus and am i short of one more??
I see them as Doves on our panel, i would like a more balanced team, and see a couple of Hawks.As is in the senate.
All Doves would not be in our best interest i think, as i would be afraid of them being rough shod over, too complacent , and i like their dedication to their new posts but still feel that we need possibly another two to see there`s no fudging on the Archie's side. I would seriously like this and feel happier, with no disrespect to the present delegates. :D

StuE
UKDN Diamond Supporter and UKDN Magazine Contributor
UKDN Diamond Supporter and UKDN Magazine Contributor
Main Detector: Deus

Post by StuE »

Keep UKDN what it was, an excellent detecting forum. Leave the "political" stuff to the PAS site , where all parties seem to feel less intimidated and comfortable.
A very good point! Maybe just a PAS report/update section is needed on here.

PS why is definitely always spelt definately on UKDN (copyright watermarking maybe??)
Found any lead bag seals? Email a piccy to me for inclusion on The Bag Seal Gallery Ourpasthistory.com Image Gallery :: Lead Cloth & Bag Seals
Don't be a complete Banker, make a micro-loan - http://www.kiva.org/team/humanist

Post by Guest »

"Maybe just a PAS report/update section is needed on here"

brilliant idea mate.... also,when the adult section was first introduced, you had the option of joining it or not.. same thing should be introduced.

deepseeker
UKDN Supporter - Diamond
UKDN Supporter - Diamond
Main Detector: XP Deus

Post by deepseeker »

Two great posts there Steve (Detecknicks) that's more like it.

Jeb, Paranoia: Extreme, irrational distrust of others. I think you fit this category ammicably. Yes you are a lot older than me and you have owned a detector longer than me, but have you put as many hours in as me ?? I have possibly driven a car longer than you, (unless you are still using your Vespa) but that does not mean I am a better driver than you. However your argument could just as easily be turned on yourself whereby the extremely long period of you owning a detector has placed you in the same category as the older blinkered archaeologists, you will agree that the young new blood in the archaeological fraternity are the ones that appreciate the detectorists input. As far as Judas is concerned I will listen to anyone who has a valid point of view, irrespective of the occupation, BEWARE Daniel for the cock has already crowed twice !! Et Tu Brute.
sent from my PC using the keyboard

You are entitled to your opinion, even though it's wrong

ROMANES EUNT DOMUS

Post by Guest »

That is in complete contradiction with the other 3 Gospels mr seeker

deepseeker
UKDN Supporter - Diamond
UKDN Supporter - Diamond
Main Detector: XP Deus

Post by deepseeker »

Please call me Deep Ghost :lol: Can you ellaborate?
sent from my PC using the keyboard

You are entitled to your opinion, even though it's wrong

ROMANES EUNT DOMUS

Post by Guest »

mat 26-34.......deep. :lol:

another debate we could go on for weeks about mate...
but we wont.. :D

Steve-B

Post by Steve-B »

oh please. lets do :wink:

jeb

Post by jeb »

Not sure i understand the last 4 posts?? deepseeker you don`t look 48. when i met you at That one day rally a few months ago at Whats its name Abby? i didn`t think you were 48. 38 possibly but not 48. you`ve aged well for an old fart `too`. :lol: Do you remember me ? i was with Coenwolf .?

Return to “ARCHIVE MATERIAL”