Medieval brooch is declared treasure

The place to find the latest news story . . .
you can make a comment if you wish!
PhilD
UKDN Valued Member and Diamond Supporter
meble kuchenne warszawa
Main Detector: Makro Racer
Location: Saving North Yorks finds for future generations by recording with PAS

Medieval brooch is declared treasure

Post by PhilD »

Medieval brooch made from silver penny is declared a treasure after it was found at Marham in Norfolk;

Quoting a report from the British Museum’s curator of early medieval coins, Dr Gareth Williams, Mrs Lake said: “This is an example of a typical brooch or badge made during the 10th and 11th centuries, but particularly common in the reign of Edward the Confessor to the reign of William II.

“As is usual for this type of object, the reverse design of a cross is displayed, suggesting it may have been some sort of religious brooch.”
Attachments
Screen Shot 06-28-17 at 07.14 PM.PNG
Screen Shot 06-28-17 at 07.14 PM.PNG (297.08 KiB) Viewed 12470 times
Click here to register with PAS
Makro Racer / ATPro Inter / T2 / Explorer II / Ace 250 / Garrett Pro Pinpointer / Etrex 10 GPS /Lumix TZ60/PAS Records - Click here

Euan

Re: Medieval brooch is declared treasure

Post by Euan »

:g50:

dig-it-pete
Finds Advisor & Moderator
Main Detector: Manticore

Post by dig-it-pete »

Do we know who's coin it was Phil - ie Monarch, mint and moneyer?
Minelab Manticore

PhilD

Post by PhilD »

Silly me I forgot to add the link, it says William I;

http://www.wattonandswaffhamtimes.co.uk ... -1-5080653
Makro Racer / ATPro Inter / T2 / Explorer II / Ace 250 / Garrett Pro Pinpointer / Etrex 10 GPS /Lumix TZ60/PAS Records - Click here

dig-it-pete

Post by dig-it-pete »

Great thanks Phil :g50: - it is looking like Spink 1253 :g43:
Minelab Manticore

PhilD

Post by PhilD »

I agree Pete, can't see it on the PAS site, maybe they are holding it back waiting to see if it's classed as treasure and it's fate?

dig-it-pete

Post by dig-it-pete »

PhilD wrote:I agree Pete, can't see it on the PAS site, maybe they are holding it back waiting to see if it's classed as treasure and it's fate?
I reckon it will probably end up in a museum unless I am very much mistaken, as they are rare finds.
Minelab Manticore

rabert

Post by rabert »

Hi,
Hope you don't mind, but can I ask an ignorant question please? What is the situation if a beginner, like myself, finds something like the Medieval brooch etc., but doesn't recognize it as anything and doesn't contact anyone; and takes it home without further thought. I suppose I could then photograph it and ask the 'experts' on here for their opinions etc., What would the situation be after that? I guess I am just a bit concerned that I do anything wrongful due to complete ignorance.

Thanks for any advice.

Enjoy.

PhilD

Post by PhilD »

After that I suggest you register with PAS and have them record your finds on their database for others to see assuming ou are in England or Wales.

Check out the links in my signature below;

rabert

Post by rabert »

Thanks for that info Phil. Much appreciated.

Enjoy.

PhilD

Post by PhilD »

Cheers rabert, there is a PAS database search facility that can help you to ID your finds;

https://finds.org.uk/database

rabert

Post by rabert »

Thanks ever so for your help. I have just printed off a few sheets from the PAS link so I can go and have a read. (I didn't even know what P.A.S. was all about). Can I just ask, if there's anything that spoils metal detecting as a hobby? - or anything I should be 'aware' of please? The data base etc., certainly looks interesting. Friends etc., think I've gone a little crazy, but I really don't mind ! :hahaha:

Enjoy.

dig-it-pete

Post by dig-it-pete »

rabert wrote:Thanks ever so for your help. I have just printed off a few sheets from the PAS link so I can go and have a read. (I didn't even know what P.A.S. was all about). Can I just ask, if there's anything that spoils metal detecting as a hobby? - or anything I should be 'aware' of please? The data base etc., certainly looks interesting. Friends etc., think I've gone a little crazy, but I really don't mind ! :hahaha:

Enjoy.
I think we've all gone a bit crazy rabert - we must be a bit bonkers to be metal detectorists :g58: :g42:

I shouldn't worry too much if you find something that you do not recognise as treasure at the time, as long as you notify the coroner (or FLO) within two weeks of you realising that it is in fact possible treasure after getting it positively identified and having explained this to the coroner, they won't lock you up and throw away the key :g45: :g50:
Minelab Manticore

rabert

Post by rabert »

Thanks for the encouragement Pete. People think I am now a Mental Defector ! :hahaha: I think sometimes in life there comes a time that after working so hard, so long and learning during all that time --- you just have to set yourself free and go and wander in body and mind! If something turns up, then that's a bonus .... but you just have to enjoy the 'freedom' so to speak.

So...

Enjoy.

jcmaloney
UKDN Diamond Supporter and UKDN Magazine Contributor
UKDN Diamond Supporter and UKDN Magazine Contributor

Post by jcmaloney »

dig-it-pete wrote:
rabert wrote:Thanks ever so for your help. I have just printed off a few sheets from the PAS link so I can go and have a read. (I didn't even know what P.A.S. was all about). Can I just ask, if there's anything that spoils metal detecting as a hobby? - or anything I should be 'aware' of please? The data base etc., certainly looks interesting. Friends etc., think I've gone a little crazy, but I really don't mind ! :hahaha:

Enjoy.
I think we've all gone a bit crazy rabert - we must be a bit bonkers to be metal detectorists :g58: :g42:

I shouldn't worry too much if you find something that you do not recognise as treasure at the time, as long as you notify the coroner (or FLO) within two weeks of you realising that it is in fact possible treasure after getting it positively identified and having explained this to the coroner, they won't lock you up and throw away the key :g45: :g50:
Sorry that advice is legally incorrect.
The coroner local to the find is the only person you must notify.
The coroner will most likely refer you to the FLO to establish the find actually qualifies as Treasure.
The finders duty under the Treasure Act 1996 is to notify the coroner who is a Crown Representative.
:g50:

Return to “LATEST NEWS”