Police sent in as rogue metal detectorists plunder

The place to find the latest news story . . .
you can make a comment if you wish!
lee greagsbey
Site Admin
meble kuchenne warszawa
Main Detector: Deus, CTX, Excalibur
Location: A Surrey coddiwomple exiled into East Hampshire working back in Surrey

Police sent in as rogue metal detectorists plunder

Post by lee greagsbey »

"Police sent in as rogue metal detectorists plunder Hadrian’s Wall"

... :g44:

https://www.metro.news/police-sent-in-a ... l/1703455/
XP Deus V5.2
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Excalibur 1000
Garrett Pro Pointer
Makro Pointer
XP Mi-6 Pinpointer
NCMD

“Only the devil and I know the whereabouts of my treasure, and the one of us who lives the longest should take it all ” Edward Teach
{P:

dig-it-pete
Finds Advisor & Moderator
Main Detector: Manticore

Re: Police sent in as rogue metal detectorists plunder

Post by dig-it-pete »

Well it would be very nice to hear that they had caught some of them and confiscated their detectors at the very least.
Minelab Manticore

Old Git John
UKDN Valued Member and Platinum Supporter
Main Detector: SIMPLEX

Post by Old Git John »

This problem will never go away until we detectorists take an active role working with the police, and the likes of the National Trust, English Heritage, and the archaeological community. If it continues much longer our great hobby will be totally banned, leaving only the thieves to carry on their evil efforts.
I used to have an issue regarding having an inferiority complex, I no longer have an issue with being inferior.

dig-it-pete
Main Detector: Manticore

Post by dig-it-pete »

I can see licensing for detectorists coming John, following on from the government consultation of the treasure act. There will be big changes ahead I feel.
Minelab Manticore

lee greagsbey
Site Admin
Location: A Surrey coddiwomple exiled into East Hampshire working back in Surrey

Post by lee greagsbey »

And again... :g43:

"Police scramble to Hadrian’s Wall to stop ‘nighthawk’ metal detectorists damaging ancient structure"

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/h ... 93736.html
XP Deus V5.2
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Excalibur 1000
Garrett Pro Pointer
Makro Pointer
XP Mi-6 Pinpointer
NCMD

“Only the devil and I know the whereabouts of my treasure, and the one of us who lives the longest should take it all ” Edward Teach
{P:

Old Git John

Post by Old Git John »

dig-it-pete wrote:I can see licensing for detectorists coming John, following on from the government consultation of the treasure act. There will be big changes ahead I feel.
I have an old detector, which is in showroom condition, having been bought brand new, used once, and then the owner decided that detecting was not for him. The machine was disassembled and put back into its carry case, where it has been ever since, a truly vintage machine, including the "Licence" which was required in those days. Full working order, made by Whites, who kindly supplied me with a brand new, reprint of the original manual.

So licencing will just be a step back in time, but I would imagine to be considerably more
expensive. I have no great issues with change, as long as it does not impact upon us responsible detectorists, with a real interest in things historic. What we need is the ability to do what we have done for many years, and that is to voluntarily refer finds to the appropriate authorities, when age, precious metal content, and certain other criteria apply. I believe that we should be able to come to agreements with farmers/landowners without interference from the higher authorities.

Penalties for "hawking" must be made much stronger than they are at present, to include loss of equipment, jail for a minimum term of five years, plus a heavy fine. I do believe that the licences should be issued by the dealers for any detector which they sell, at the time of the sale, how to enforce them for privately sold machines is a different story altogether.

In reality there is a need for consultation with the likes of NCMD regarding the whole subject.
I used to have an issue regarding having an inferiority complex, I no longer have an issue with being inferior.

lee greagsbey
Site Admin

Post by lee greagsbey »

Old Git John wrote:
dig-it-pete wrote:I can see licensing for detectorists coming John, following on from the government consultation of the treasure act. There will be big changes ahead I feel.
I have an old detector, which is in showroom condition, having been bought brand new, used once, and then the owner decided that detecting was not for him. The machine was disassembled and put back into its carry case, where it has been ever since, a truly vintage machine, including the "Licence" which was required in those days. Full working order, made by Whites, who kindly supplied me with a brand new, reprint of the original manual.

So licencing will just be a step back in time, but I would imagine to be considerably more
expensive. I have no great issues with change, as long as it does not impact upon us responsible detectorists, with a real interest in things historic. What we need is the ability to do what we have done for many years, and that is to voluntarily refer finds to the appropriate authorities, when age, precious metal content, and certain other criteria apply. I believe that we should be able to come to agreements with farmers/landowners without interference from the higher authorities.

Penalties for "hawking" must be made much stronger than they are at present, to include loss of equipment, jail for a minimum term of five years, plus a heavy fine. I do believe that the licences should be issued by the dealers for any detector which they sell, at the time of the sale, how to enforce them for privately sold machines is a different story altogether.

In reality there is a need for consultation with the likes of NCMD regarding the whole subject.
I've got to say I agree with everything you've said OGJ... :g50:
XP Deus V5.2
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Excalibur 1000
Garrett Pro Pointer
Makro Pointer
XP Mi-6 Pinpointer
NCMD

{P:

weldbuzz
Main Detector: C Scope 3 MXi Pro

Post by weldbuzz »

The report say's that the nighthawkers are stealing artifacts, but how do they know if they found anything?, maybe they didn't find anything, i hope they didn't, and i hope they get caught.

Old Git John

Post by Old Git John »

weldbuzz wrote:The report say's that the nighthawkers are stealing artifacts, but how do they know if they found anything?, maybe they didn't find anything, i hope they didn't, and i hope they get caught.

"Going equipped" is all that is needed.

Return to “LATEST NEWS”