No - but there may be exceptions
0%
No - absolutely not
0%

Total votes: 16777300

Steve-B
meble kuchenne warszawa

Post by Steve-B »

The Searcher?...I guess they will be representing their readers...both of them :lol:

Post by Guest »

Only the one Steve, I cancelled my subscription :lol:

Steve-B

Post by Steve-B »

PMSL

Steve-B

Post by Steve-B »

Paul. theres no point in me replying to your post as both words would just get edited anyways.

Just out of interest Paul, I guess you must be interested in your local history, what part of the country do you reside in? it must be rich in history to keep your attention..cant quite recall what county European Cyberspace is in..

deepseeker
UKDN Supporter - Diamond
UKDN Supporter - Diamond
Main Detector: XP Deus

Post by deepseeker »

Bad form Steve.
sent from my PC using the keyboard

You are entitled to your opinion, even though it's wrong

ROMANES EUNT DOMUS

jeb

Post by jeb »

Would it be too presumptuous of me to ask for a poll on the UKND, to see how many members want to see the UKND forum kept to participating DETECTORISTS only, not outside interests. And don`t go twisting my statement, as i think you can guess at what i`m trying to say.
I for one feel very uncomfortable now that the Archaeologists have been invited on as permanently as they wish.
I would feel that we are slowly losing our closeness as a forum for detector talk, i feel watched now ,and even could go as far as to say,`policed `now. its just not starting to have the same comfortable feeling, having these people `watching`everything we talk,put up and even joke about,as for fear now of it being taken out of context.
i feel that you wanted the Archie's to be able to come on and answer questions ,but need this be a permanent position ,as i would prefer it to be temporary, as this is supposed to be a Metaldetectorists forum for people who do Metaldetecting.
i was prompted to think about this question after reading another members post tonight, and i thought , "yes goddammit,he`s absolutely right".

AlanMC

Post by AlanMC »

Jeb What makes you think archaeologists have only got onto UKDN in the last few weeks, don't you think they may have been on here for ages. Why have you just started getting that watched feeling, I'm sure some would have been on here almost since day one. How do you tell who is a detectorist or who is a archaeologists.
I don't think there would be anyway to police and make sure only detectorists could use the forum.

jeb

Post by jeb »

possibly not, ,and yes they may have been, however we know for sure there here now.

deepseeker
UKDN Supporter - Diamond
UKDN Supporter - Diamond
Main Detector: XP Deus

Post by deepseeker »

Funnily enough a post was put onto the Britarch site expressing concern that so many detectorists were accessing the site, with the same paranoia that you are suffering Jeb, and full credit to the moderators of the site they shot down his reasoning purely by stating that the site was for discussions and all input was welcome irrespective of who had posted, believe me there was some heavy and occasionally vitriolic attacks from our side but I give them credit they allowed the posts for debate. I don't recall any thread locking.
sent from my PC using the keyboard

You are entitled to your opinion, even though it's wrong

ROMANES EUNT DOMUS

hoarder
UKDN Supporter - Bronze
UKDN Supporter - Bronze
Main Detector: Equinox 900 & deus 2

should archaeologists and md`s work together

Post by hoarder »

jeb wrote:possibly not, ,and yes they may have been, however we know for sure there here now.
question: for what reason ?
answer: know your enemy ?

i have been watching this and other similar discussions but up to now i have not participated in the debate.

we (detectorists) have reported finds,kept off scheduled sites,got involved with the pas & flo at various levels,and are now discussing on our forum,the hows & whys as to setting up a formula for future cooperation between us & archies on what " WE "would be allowed to do or not do

so what will/have the archies give/given up on this mutually acceptable "guidlines" system ?

just my thoughts on this,and before the flak comes in i would like to make it clear that i would not have even spoke to an archie before i went to the firle rally and met liz & greg who over the 2 days there changed my long held views on archies,well some of them at least.
i even tried to get our club involved with our pas & nicola powel,to no avail which just goes to show that you cannot exert your will on others.
it has to be a voluntery decision not an imposed one.

know if it`s ok i am going teccing now :wink:
EQUINOX 900 & DEUS 2

Jackel
UKDN Supporter

Post by Jackel »

I think that maybe if it was possable us detecterists should have some sort of privacy on the forum untill something has been resolved in black and white that we all agree with between the archis and us detecterists,i for one feel that the finds posted should be private and not for unregular users to observe as we never know really who these guests are,only my opinion not sure if any one else agrees.

Steve-B

Post by Steve-B »

Jeb...you have expressed the same concerns I initially had when I noticed just how many 'non detectorists' had started to show an interest in the forum.

I believe that some of this interest was due to the fact that others outside of the hobby and the forum had realised the potential of this forum before we ourselves did..which led to my strong suggestions that the forum should wake up to itself, perhaps becoming a voice for the hobby was not the right course of action, but the new Liaison Section definately is...we can either take part in the desicion making our we can have them made for us...either way they will be made and no amount of 'lets leave things as they are' is going to help...things wil not be allowed to stay as they are.

As to the involvement of non detectorists, some have shown the highest levels of personal and professional integrity, with a commitment to progress, they have not shunned awkward questions, they have made suggestions and have led to a what I feel is a greater understanding on our part of 'the other side' , hopefully we have done the same by allowing them to participate on here.

If we are to protect the hobby, (which incidently, needs protecting) we have to be talking to these people, we have to take the risk of exposing ourselves, via the forum, so that they can see what we are really about, only then can they understand us, our hobby and that understanding will and has in some cases turned to mutual respect.

In some cases no amount of understanding, dialogue or cooperation will ever lead to respect and we are right to be wary. Naturally not all non detectorists are going to be of the progressive kind, of course, because of the forums influence and potential, we are indeed going to attract a fair number of Trojan Horses, these we have to recognise, they are as lethal as a computer virus and the only thing that will stop them is to quaranteen them as you would on your PC......

These few cannot be allowed to to spoil the progress currently being made. We have always followed a code of practice, but as times change and attitudes change, as we become more aware of the bigger picture, this will need to evolve and adapt, this is what is happening on the PAS, if you want to know what the other side has given in return, what they are offering, then go have a look, the Draft code has been changed, in accord with suggestions from both the detecting and non detecting communities and I sugges that making sugesstions on this and the Guide/Recording pack of which the code of practice will bea component part, is not akin to hob nobbing with the enemy, I look at it more like using both your common sense and your voice to not only protect your hobby, but to help shape the way it can not only progress but at the same time stay as it is.

I personally will fight as hard to protect my hobby as I will to see it progress. No amounts of editing or comments on bad form or accusations of being an archie lover will stop me from this enterprise.

All of us have at one time or other bemoaned the state of the hobby, harped on and on about those out to get us. Had a dig at the 'Archies', Mick Aston, The Time Team etc etc, worried about legislation, licencing,stricter controls the list goes on...we now have a chance to end this once and for all, the new Liaison Section gives a unique opportunity for all factions to get together, work together, and progress together...not to change the hobby, not to spoil it for most.......but rather the opposite...by making the hobby more accceptable for ALL...for most of us...nothing will change..nothing, but the potential to progress will be there, as well as the security we have so long wished for....

No one is asking you to work with them, all that is being asked ois that we all work for our hobby...while we can

willsi2

Post by willsi2 »

I agree with guidlines only.

anonymous

Post by anonymous »

Well I agree with jeb's post .
Each to their own.opinion,and that is mine too.
The liason section is good,but as its a locked thread,will our questions be put there ? as it seems pretty quiet at the moment.
If our questions can be put there ,I'm still waiting to see mine displayed,no luck so far,but it is early days yet.

Jackel
UKDN Supporter

Post by Jackel »

Perhaps a new thread should be started with all our points and issues we would like raising in the meetings that are going to take place on our behalf,only a thought

Return to “ARCHIVE MATERIAL”