Livery buttons

A section created specifically for on-going metal detecting-based research
projects. Please do not start a new thread unless it is specifically related to a topic.
lammytheman
UKDN Supporter - Gold
UKDN Supporter - Gold
meble kuchenne warszawa
Main Detector: TEKNETIKS T2

Re: Livery buttons

Post by lammytheman »

DiOz wrote:
lammytheman wrote:Found this small button (16mm) last week.
Not good condition a lot of the gilding has gone.
Looks like a rampant Wolf and an arm holding some sort of impliment?
Was it found in Cheshire?
Yes it was. :g38:
Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak

DiOz
UKDN Valued Member and Diamond Supporter
Main Detector: Ace 250

Post by DiOz »

lammytheman wrote:
DiOz wrote:
lammytheman wrote:Found this small button (16mm) last week.
Not good condition a lot of the gilding has gone.
Looks like a rampant Wolf and an arm holding some sort of impliment?
Was it found in Cheshire?
Yes it was. :g38:
Not a bad guess aye? :g37: :g62:
...Dave :g43:
Garrett Ace 250

DiOz

Post by DiOz »

I think it's an ORMSBY-GORE family livery button....

Image Image Click Here / Click Here

Myfamilysilver doesn't have a pic of the second crest but from it's description it would have been very similar to the Heaton-Armstrong crest (that I've shown).... Click Here
Garrett Ace 250

kev woodward
Site Admin
Main Detector: XP Deus 1

Post by kev woodward »

[quote="Mr daydream"]I had a try at deciphering the writing on the back of this to see if it can help someone. Its possibly something like

london
05S MARPING LANE.50 Y

last word is very hard to make out but possibly X1HBno

hope it helps a little gl. [quote]

It was made by Doughty & Co, 103 St. Martins Lane, London which can only be dated to 19th century as little is known of the history of this firm compared to others.

Now all we have to do is identify who commissioned it which I have so far failed to do :g64: I can not find any coat of arms like these in relation to the two families DiOz kindly provided which I have already discounted. I'll carry on looking :g50:
I have become comfortably numb

kev woodward
Site Admin

Post by kev woodward »

Evo wrote:Hiall I was told to post this here as someone may be able to help ID it for me it looks like some kind of coat of arms. Found today in Frieston near Boston Lincolnshire.
Thanks for looking.
Also this pendant found in same field if it helps
Struggling with this one so far as I am not able to find exact matches for both coats of arms but I have got close with the left hand one. It is difficult to make out what the items on the horizontal band are but they look to be bezants (solid discs) are you able to confirm or send a closer image? Click Here for what I think the left hand coat of arms should look like if I am right on the bezants and is for the Dagworth family. The background shows it to be what is termed 'ermine' which resembles the fur on the peerage regalia. The 'fess' (horizontal band through the middle) has vertical lines on which represents the colour red ('gules' in heraldic speak). As said before the three objects on the band are the key to this coat of arms as they could also be escallops, crowns or other items. The stag's head in the top left hand corner is on a red background and the head is termed 'affrontee'. The whole thing is called a 'canton'.
The right hand arms have a gold coloured background (due to the dotted background) and the chevron will be coloured blue (azure in heraldry) due to the horizontal lines. The round objects again appear to be bezants but the colour is not known due to the wear on the button. I have come close on this one but nothing close enough I'm afraid..............more work required :g58:

The harness pendant will have been chequered blue and gold which is used by several families so it will be hard to pin point to one particular one unless a connection can be made with the find area. It is not for Stamford as that one is chequered gold and blue which is the opposite starting colour.

Mr daydream

Post by Mr daydream »

So does the address actually help at'all ? i guess that's just the shop where the coin was made then it can be shipped off to any where, so only really the crest would help to i.d it ? Or can the writing be of help. Sorry if it's a dumb question. Any tips people can give that they use to i.d things would be great,

Thanks.

kev woodward
Site Admin

Post by kev woodward »

The address on the reverse can assist with dating when the button was manufactured as some company histories are quite well documented. For a fairly good list of about 90% of known companies and when they made buttons Click Here
As far as identifying crests and coats of arms it takes a while to learn the heraldic rules and language but if you stick at it you can have an educated stab at most things. There is lots of basic and advanced stuff on google if you search it out. Knowing how to get the most out of google searches also helps with identifying things but do not rely totally on it. I have an ever growing library on many things that detectorists find, except coins, they do not generally do much to get my heart racing.....now artefacts are another matter :g58:

btns
UKDN Supporter

Post by btns »

New to the forum.
It is a continental shoddy find, most likely from London
b/m Hammond, Turner ...
Attachments
GBLA026E.jpg
GBLA026E.jpg (59.23 KiB) Viewed 29658 times

geordiefred
Main Detector: Teknetics T2 ltd

Post by geordiefred »

Unfortunatly most livery buttons I find are plain like the one next to this leaping stag, both found a few weeks ago would be grateful for any more info.
thanks
Fred
Attachments
IMG_0720.JPG
IMG_0720.JPG (24.2 KiB) Viewed 29654 times
IMG_0764.JPG
IMG_0764.JPG (59.7 KiB) Viewed 29654 times
"of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most"?

btns
UKDN Supporter

Post by btns »

geordiefred wrote:Unfortunatly most livery buttons I find are plain like the one next to this leaping stag, both found a few weeks ago would be grateful for any more info.
thanks
Fred
It is a good quality button from the mid 19th century. It is a sporting button for a man's coat, not a livery button for a servant.

kev woodward
Site Admin

Post by kev woodward »

btns wrote:
geordiefred wrote:Unfortunatly most livery buttons I find are plain like the one next to this leaping stag, both found a few weeks ago would be grateful for any more info.
thanks
Fred
It is a good quality button from the mid 19th century. It is a sporting button for a man's coat, not a livery button for a servant.
:g58: :g58: :g58:

btn - your button is for the Crompton-Stansfield family from Esholt Hall, Yorkshire Click Here and Click Here

See pages 59-63 Click Here

I'm still trying to find the right hand side crest, but it will be the fathers arms of the wife.

Can I use the image for my website please?

btns
UKDN Supporter

Post by btns »

kev woodward wrote: btns - your button is for the Crompton-Stansfield family from Esholt Hall, Yorkshire Click Here and Click Here
Thanks!

kev woodward
Site Admin

Post by kev woodward »

I have added more to my last post :g50:

DiOz

Post by DiOz »

arfrape wrote:...i'll start with one of my finest, found in Gloucestershire.

Thanks in advance, Andy.
The Myfamilysilver LANGER crest...
Image Click Here

The crest on the button is IDed as belonging to the LANGER or OHMANN family...on this webpage... Click Here

The Ohmann crest description... Click Here
Garrett Ace 250

btns
UKDN Supporter

Post by btns »

kev woodward wrote: btn - your button is for the Crompton-Stansfield family from Esholt Hall, Yorkshire
Can I use the image for my website please?
Yes, feel free to use this image and all other livery button images I'll be posting.

Return to “On-Going Research Projects”