beach law

kev1jw
meble kuchenne warszawa

beach law

Post by kev1jw »

hi does anyone know what the law is on the beach? do i need permission from someone? :?:

Big Al2
UKDN Supporter - Gold
UKDN Supporter - Gold

Re: beach law

Post by Big Al2 »

send an email to your local councils helpdesk or phone they will probably tell you that there is no problem detecting on a beach or foreshore as long as you fill your holes in

metal mark

Post by metal mark »

All beach's belong to the Crown estates between mean high tide and mean low tide. Above mean high tide the dunes/land belong to the land owner and below mean low tide I believe the commissioner of wreaks. The Crown estates now have a £20/year permit scheme, however they have no way of policeing this or collecting the fees unless you write in and volunteer the money ! Some beaches are leased by the Crown estates to land owners/councils or organisations such as the RSPB. These people may ban metlin via a notice board such as is the case around much of the north Norfolk coast so as not to disturb the nesting birds (even in winter !!! ). I spend a lot of time on the beaches of the east coast and as yet I have not met any body who has volunteered the permit fee.

Cheers MM

kev1jw

Post by kev1jw »

thats very interesting and a great help. cheers mate

Old Git John
UKDN Valued Member and Platinum Supporter
UKDN Valued Member and Platinum Supporter
Main Detector: SIMPLEX

Post by Old Git John »

Metal Mark, your reply was very interesting, but I have one question. Does that £20 cover all beaches within their durasdiction, or is it per beach ?
I used to have an issue regarding having an inferiority complex, I no longer have an issue with being inferior.

metal mark

Post by metal mark »

Good point that John, I had wondered that myself. The wording of the information I have seen is very vague, it did not say wheather it was per beach, per visit or per year for all beaches or just one. Oh and you cant dig any lower than 3 inches into the sand !!! Well every kid with a bucket and spade is a criminal then :evil:

Well thats all cleared up then :roll:

metal mark

Post by metal mark »

The relavent section of the Crown estates web site says :-

"Those wishing to obtain a permit for England, Wales or Northern Ireland should submit a covering letter or email with a map or co-ordinates clearly indicating the intended areas of search, to:"

Which suggests that the permit would be for a specific beach for the year, but it is not very clear. The information is at

http://www.thecrownestate.co.uk/metal_detecting

Deetektor
UKDN Gold Supporter and UKDN Magazine Contributor
UKDN Gold Supporter and UKDN Magazine Contributor

Post by Deetektor »

What it really boils down to, is that it's ok to detect on a beach, unless it's marked private, or someone tells you not to.
It's mostly down to common sense.

Does a child need a licence to dig holes, and build sand castles ?
Support the PAS
You know it makes sense

Teknetics T2
XP Goldmaxx Power

metal mark

Post by metal mark »

Exactly Deetector, I will walk the beaches I normally walk untill someone in a peaked cap starts asking questions.

Return to “The Law”