How to Re-size and post your Photographs.

Puffin
UKDN Valued Member and Diamond Supporter
meble kuchenne warszawa
Main Detector: Mark one gray matter

How to Re-size and post your Photographs.

Post by Puffin »

How to Re-size and post your Photographs

We often see photographs posted that are often To Small or To Big or see a coin taking up the small centre spot of a large plain background, much better to have the coin filling the whole of the frame. Here are some simple resizing instructions using a Freeware Software package. Have fun with it, for the price, it's one very nice set of image editing tools, thanks to Slapeddicus for pointing this programme out to us.

Image Re-sizing

To re-size your photograph to the ideal size of 100kb for posting on the forum, first Download a programme called Photoscape from here http://download.cnet.com/PhotoScape/300 ... tag=button . This is a neat cool freeware programme that allows all sorts of easy image editing.

Once downloaded and opened, you get a splash screen with a circle of icons. Click the icon marked [Editor]. This brings up the editor page, to the left is a standard file list with thumbnail images. Select the folder and your Photograph appears as a thumbnail, select and drag the thumbnail into the large gray area. Once your image is displayed in this area you can start the edit process.

If you look at the bottom of the page, you will see a number of buttons on the [Home] tab. Look for the one that says [Resize]. Click on this, a pop up window appears with a list of sizes [Reduce the longer length: ### PX]. Depending on the starting file size of your image, it a matter of selecting one of these sizes. A little trial and error is necessary. I've found that for a 2.1 MB photograph a length of 800 px will produce the ideal 100 kb image size.

So once you have selected your size, go to the bottom right of the screen and click [Save]. An options box appears, select one of the save options. I normally use [Save As], that way you can give your edited copy of the photograph a proper name, leaving your master picture unchanged. The next pop up is the [Save Options] box, select the location and name to save your photograph to, also select the .jpg file type. Click [Save], the next pop up is the [JPEG Quality] slider box. Move the slider left or right, until you get the right size in KB's. When you are happy, click [OK]. If you don't get the 100kb size then you have the wrong [Reduce the longer length: ### PX] selected, just start again with a lower or higher setting.

Cropping your image

A way to reduce the size of the surrounding space in your photograph is to [Crop] your image. This means cutting away any unwanted sections from the image by using the Editing software. Look for the [Crop] tab at the bottom of the screen. Select this.

When you first open the [Crop] tab there is a drop down list of cropping methods, headed [Crop freely]. Click one, you can always use the [Undo] button at the bottom right of the screen if you are unhappy with the edit. Now Left click on the image, hold the Left mouse button down and drag the pointer. A box appears on screen, depending on the crop method selected, you can drag, pull, stretch and generally place the box where you want it. When you are happy with the selected area, press the [Crop] button. The software then automatically chops the unwanted section off the photograph. To save this smaller image, just follow the Image Re-sizing instructions above by going back to the [Home] tab.

The next step is to upload your photograph to the forum.

Once you have loaded your INTERNET browser and the correct sub forum section, open a thread and select [Post Reply], a new post box opens. Scroll down the page until you see [Upload Attachments]. Click [Browse] this opens a pop-up of your files on your hard driver. Select your image file and click [Open]. The route to your file appears in the box next to the [Browse] button. You have the option to add a comment or not to the photograph. Then click [Add the File] you need to wait a short time for the file to up-load. Under the main text input box, your file name appears next to the [Place in line] box. Click the [Place in Line] box and a code line with the photograph file name appears in the main text input box.

Should you need to add another photograph to your post, just do the same thing again, adding a second or third attachment as needed. Remembering to add a couple of carriage returns between each image code line, this helps with the post layout on screen. It also helps to add a brief description to each image while posting. This way the viewer has some idea of what they are looking at.

Finally once you are happy with the post click [Submit] .

Thank you for taking the time to read this, I hope this helps you post some great pictures.
Deus, XP GMP, CS 4Pi, Canon 450d, Garmin GPS, PAS Self Recorder.
Hamster Count 55. Then so far this year 0 to the Deus.
Denarius Count 7. Then so far this year 0.

Donnydave
Main Detector: XP Deus

Re: How to Re-size and post your Photographs.

Post by Donnydave »

Great explanation Puffin I wish all progammes came with clear instructions :g38:

warwick wolf
Main Detector: GMP

Post by warwick wolf »

nice one puffy, has the max size gone up from 60 to 100kb????.......... I must have missed that!

WW
If you've got nothing nice to say, say nothing at all !!
Viking 1
Fisher CZ5, Always and Forever, but not so often now I've got the power
GMP

Hammy Count 2010 - 14

Puffin

Post by Puffin »

WW the change happen on the last software update, however members are posting much bigger files. Some are just downloading directly from their cameras. There are people with dial up connections still, so anything larger then about 100kb takes too long to download. The suggested size limited of 100kb, downloads in about 1 or 2 seconds for 2 meg users. A much more comfortable solution to a user friendly forum. :g50:

So please keep your image size down to about 100kb or less, thank you. :g58: :g50:

coldstream-02

Post by coldstream-02 »

Hi Puffin, I am a donut when it comes to using all this computer stuff thats why my pics (very rare) that I post are massive so thanks to the person who obviously shrinks them down for me and allows them to be seen on the forum :g38: I read everything you said about posting pics but wondered can I do it just using Windows Photo Gallery cos I know I can use the fix facillity but am probably a bit to thick to even go down that road! Many congrats on yours and I think it was steve b weight loss a brave decision to go down that road! I salute you :g50: :g38:

Puffin

Post by Puffin »

coldstream-02 wrote:Hi Puffin, I am a donut when it comes to using all this computer stuff thats why my pics (very rare) that I post are massive so thanks to the person who obviously shrinks them down for me and allows them to be seen on the forum :g38: I read everything you said about posting pics but wondered can I do it just using Windows Photo Gallery cos I know I can use the fix facility but am probably a bit to thick to even go down that road! Many congrats on yours and I think it was steve b weight loss a brave decision to go down that road! I salute you :g50: :g38:

Hi Coldstream-02,

I use Visa Home Basic operation System on my laptop, so these instructions are for this system.

Get into Windows Photo Gallery by double clicking on the photograph file icon, from your explorer window.

Once in the Gallery, look for the [E-mail] button on the top line. Click this.

An [Attach File] pop up box appears, there is a drop down list of sizes (smaller, small, medium and large) and the file size in kb is displayed.

Select a size from the list and check the out put file size. When you are happy with the size, click [Attach]. Wait for the E-mail programme to start, depends on how fast your machine is.

When your E-mail programme screen is up, look towards the top left of the screen. You should see a box marked [Attach...] with you file to the right of this. Right click on the file name. A drop down appears, select [Save as] click this and a standard save file box comes up, so save the smaller file to your hard drive.

Then just upload it as per instructions above.

A little long winded, but it works. There may be a simpler way, but I have not found it yet.

Thanks for the kind words about the weight loss. :g50: :g49:

swiftnick

Post by swiftnick »

OK gang this is by far the easiest way to down size your pics.
click this link, http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/usin ... lman2.mspx

have a little read on how to use it, simplicity itself.
then click on the link in the text, i think its says image resizer, it's in blue writing
.this will then open another page with all the down loads on the right hand side.
its about number ten down called.---image resizer exe.
down load it to your computer.
as it says in the tutorial you read previous ,all you have to do is open my pictures
find the pic or pics you want,right click on it. then from the options shown.
choose resize pic.then you will get another box,with small, med ,large,choose the one you want
i find the med one works well.then a copy of your pic will be stored on my pictures saying med.
then you can upload them when ever.
it,s free as its a windows exe. easy peasy. :g50:
he who goes to bed with a stiff problem wakes up with the solution in hand.
xp goldmax mk1 & 200

Puffin

Post by Puffin »

I note that it is an windows XP programme Swiftnick. Would it work in Vista?

swiftnick

Post by swiftnick »

not sure mate,but you should be able to find out.
as i say,once you get it downloaded it's just two clicks and its done.
hope you can get it.let me know,good luck.
he who goes to bed with a stiff problem wakes up with the solution in hand.
xp goldmax mk1 & 200

coldstream-02

Post by coldstream-02 »

Thanks for the tips Puffin & swiftnick, isnt it always the way when someone gives good advice someone else comes along and says nah do it like this its easier! Which is exactly what happened to me my cousin turned up and showed me how to do it using paint, which is what I am experimenting with now, and so far its not too bad. Tomredmayne once told me how to do it but when you start doing things and dont understand whats happening it gets a bit scarey so you stop, or at least I do, but now I have been shown the basics I am going to stick with using paint. But Many Thanks to you both for your time and effort in replying. :g50: And at least I can refer to your instructions if need be Puffin. Thankyou.

Mal Asterley
UKDN Valued Supporter and Word Magazine Contributor
UKDN Valued Supporter and Word Magazine Contributor
Main Detector: Arado 120B

Post by Mal Asterley »

swiftnick wrote:OK gang this is by far the easiest way to down size your pics.
click this link, http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/usin ... lman2.mspx

have a little read on how to use it, simplicity itself.
then click on the link in the text, i think its says image resizer, it's in blue writing
.this will then open another page with all the down loads on the right hand side.
its about number ten down called.---image resizer exe.
down load it to your computer.
as it says in the tutorial you read previous ,all you have to do is open my pictures
find the pic or pics you want,right click on it. then from the options shown.
choose resize pic.then you will get another box,with small, med ,large,choose the one you want
i find the med one works well.then a copy of your pic will be stored on my pictures saying med.
then you can upload them when ever.
it,s free as its a windows exe. easy peasy. :g50:

Wow that is so easy Im gobsmacked !!!! , 2 min to download as per your instructions , I have just posted my first photo using it (on2 missing dogs) Im amazed !! , by the way that was the small setting and I am on XP home edition so that might help !.

Thanks to you all for your help :g38: :g38: :g38:

Mal .
Attachments
4e86_0 (Small).jpg
4e86_0 (Small).jpg (22.69 KiB) Viewed 21301 times
Some Men were born great , some Men worked to be great , with me it was just natural !!

Cscope cs4pi. Fuji FinePix S2750HD . Fuji Finepix JX 530 Nikon coolpix ,Nikon D3000

Puffin

Post by Puffin »

Just found this simple programme for XP and Vista users. If you right click on the image in your HD folder, this simple programme appears in the drop down box. Just set the size and the programme will save a smaller version to your folder. Called VSO image resizer Click Here its free for non business users.

I did a sample image starting at 2.2 meg directly from my camera then reduced it down to 196kb when set at 800by600 pixals wide.

Worth a try if you don't want to get too involved with image and file editing. :g50:

Sample, a smaller end file would be better, just a matter of playing with it.
DSCF0053 [800x600].JPG
DSCF0053 [800x600].JPG (196.22 KiB) Viewed 21262 times
Just did another image, this time I set it to 640 by 480, and have uploaded it as a sample, see below. Which, as can be seen is around the ideal 100kb image size. This was reduced from a camera .jpg file of 2.2meg in just a few clicks. Once you have found the ideal setting for your camera to UKDN reduction size, you can set it as the programmes default. That way you can upload your image with a lot less bother then a hover! :g62:
DSCF0061 [640x480].JPG
DSCF0061 [640x480].JPG (104.03 KiB) Viewed 21243 times

Puffin

Post by Puffin »

I've been playing with Photoscape again today, the top image is right out of the camera, the lower is corrected.
street side by sidet.jpg
street side by sidet.jpg (105.46 KiB) Viewed 21204 times

Corinne Mills

Post by Corinne Mills »

what did you do?

Puffin

Post by Puffin »

Corrected the converging distortion in the building nearer the camera with the perspective mode, then used the back light function to lighten the image without burning out the light areas and sky, cropped the image slightly. Sharpened it, and softened the street signs on the right.

Return to “Finds Photography Hints”