Hoard finder did not have permission!!!

The place to find the latest news story . . .
you can make a comment if you wish!
marcsdigs
UKDN Diamond Supporter and UKDN Magazine Contributor
meble kuchenne warszawa
Main Detector: Garrett GTI 2500
Location: Atop the mouth of the South......... Southampton, Hampshire

Re: Hoard finder did not have permission!!!

Post by marcsdigs »

popsandme wrote:marc...we posted at the same time :hahaha:
:g42: :g62:
My nicer finds HERE - Machines used - Garrett GTI 2500 & Pro Pinpointer
Record finds at ukdfd.co.uk, finds.org.uk
View my FLICKR photos Click Here

hedgehog

Post by hedgehog »

I don't know him , and haven't heard about his 'mate'. I admire his honesty in handing it in, one of the good guys in my book!
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

crepitis

Post by crepitis »

hedgehog wrote:I don't know him , and haven't heard about his 'mate'. I admire his honesty in handing it in, one of the good guys in my book!
If tresspassing and detecting without permission makes you one of lifes "good guys", then I despair. :g58:

popsandme
Finds Advisor - UKDN Supporter - Diamond
Main Detector: Nox 800

Post by popsandme »

hedgehog wrote:I don't know him , and haven't heard about his 'mate'. I admire his honesty in handing it in, one of the good guys in my book!
:g56:
Sometimes too much to drink is barely enough.

Self recording on the PAS database..... Click Here
2022 Hammered = 5

marcsdigs

Post by marcsdigs »

Tut tut :g45:

hedgehog

Post by hedgehog »

Well , I understand your opinions and think it is disappointing that the majority tend to take the hunting pack attitude and villify someone for being honest for having made a mistake.
It is quite sad really because all it means is, if it happens in the future, no-one is going to know, or see, what the finds were. Maybe it is wrong, but I have a feeling more wrongs will occur due to the comments on here. Happy hunting!

popsandme

Post by popsandme »

hedgehog wrote:Well , I understand your opinions and think it is disappointing that the majority tend to take the hunting pack attitude and villify someone for being honest for having made a mistake.
It is quite sad really because all it means is, if it happens in the future, no-one is going to know, or see, what the finds were. Maybe it is wrong, but I have a feeling more wrongs will occur due to the comments on here. Happy hunting!
i think you might find 99.9% of members on here are abiding hobbyists and if that mean playing it by the book then so be it!!...there a other forums out there that are dedicated to that kind of stuff, like i say 99.9% choose this forum because of thier integrity
hedgehog wrote: I have a feeling more wrongs will occur due to the comments on here. Happy hunting!
i think you are wrong on that one mate

2022 Hammered = 5

marcsdigs

Post by marcsdigs »

hedgehog wrote:Well , I understand your opinions and think it is disappointing that the majority tend to take the hunting pack attitude and villify someone for being honest for having made a mistake.
Sadly hedgehog not standing up to these people will bring the hobby down and if that the case you will be right "more wrongs will occur"
I wish the guy (and his mate) could talk to us and explain what happened but, can you seriously believe someone who thought as a thief to tell the truth?

I (and many others) await his comments. :g50: :g62:

popsandme

Post by popsandme »

how will more wrongs occur if we stand up and tell it how the "law" says it?????...which is what the sane and right minded people on this thread are banging on about

2022 Hammered = 5

marcsdigs

Post by marcsdigs »

popsandme wrote:how will more wrongs occur if we stand up and tell it how the "law" says it?????...which is what the sane and right minded people on this thread are banging on about
I hear you mate, I hear you :g50:

hedgehog

Post by hedgehog »

Obviously there is only one perspective that you can see, a lot of perfect people on here it seems. The guy did not compound his error of judgment by hiding the fact , which in my eyes is to be applauded. Your points and standing have been clearly made, and it does make me wonder what good your particular stances will achieve, other than an opportunity to rant in a negative way, and deter a responsible outcome from finds that may be made in a similar way in the future!
There appears to be little point in trying to get you to see the negative aspects of your comments, so I will leave you to continue with whatever you feel is right.

Old Git John
UKDN Valued Member and Platinum Supporter
UKDN Valued Member and Platinum Supporter
Main Detector: SIMPLEX

Post by Old Git John »

hedgehog wrote:Obviously there is only one perspective that you can see, a lot of perfect people on here it seems. The guy did not compound his error of judgment by hiding the fact , which in my eyes is to be applauded. Your points and standing have been clearly made, and it does make me wonder what good your particular stances will achieve, other than an opportunity to rant in a negative way, and deter a responsible outcome from finds that may be made in a similar way in the future!
There appears to be little point in trying to get you to see the negative aspects of your comments, so I will leave you to continue with whatever you feel is right.

What ""negative points", all folk have been doing is what honest folk would do, condemning the actions which led to this find, and what the repercussions could be, if it is condoned.

Not one person has actually said he was wrong to hand in the find, only that, in the majoritty of cases, we do not feel that it would be appropriate for him to receive reward for his being there without permission.

Can you, in all honesty say that you do not see any wrong doing, by a person, carrying a metal detector, with the intent to use it a somebody elses land, without any permission, is justifiable ?

If this guy was so inexperienced as to "stray" onto a field where he should have known that he should not have done, how was it that he suddenly knew that, his discovery of a hoard must, by law within the Treasure Act, be handed in ? Was it down to advice from his long term detecting friend, who by the grace of good fortune told him what he must do I wonder.

Make no mistake, you will not change the opinion of the majority who have been posting on this thread, all of whom have one thing in mind, the harm his actions may, and probably will do to our hobby.
I used to have an issue regarding having an inferiority complex, I no longer have an issue with being inferior.

Karv
UKDN Valued Member and Diamond Supporter
UKDN Valued Member and Diamond Supporter
Main Detector: Minelab Manticore

Post by Karv »

Well said John.

Safeguard the future of our hobby by recording with the PAS

jcmaloney

Post by jcmaloney »

Having regressed from wishing to birch the offender I have an idea. Hoard gets valued (lets say £20,000 for arguments sake) and the finder would have received 50% but, as he had no permission (for whatever reason) he receives a nominal reward of £50 for handing it in. The balance of his 50% is written off to facilitate local acquisition & the landowner gets their share. Message sent to wider detecting community, bound to make a few "Do it properly or lose out" headlines.
Then birch him...........

marcsdigs

Post by marcsdigs »

John & JC, only one word....YES :g50:

Return to “LATEST NEWS”