American metal detector enthusiasts pay

The place to find the latest news story . . .
you can make a comment if you wish!
ageezer
UKDN Supporter - Bronze
UKDN Supporter - Bronze
meble kuchenne warszawa
Main Detector: deus /nokta pointer

Re: American metal detector enthusiasts pay

Post by ageezer »

some say the fields are seeded to keep them happy and coming back every year

crocky
Main Detector: Fisher F75

Post by crocky »

Long may these holidays continue.

There seems too little faith in the honesty of our US cousins visiting this country, I see no reason to judge them any differently to any Brit detectorist. Certainly, when watching Chicago Ron's videos in YT, they come over as an honest crowd, and the videos are as uplifting as any done over here.

Deetektor
UKDN Gold Supporter and UKDN Magazine Contributor

Post by Deetektor »

I don't think anyone is questioning the honesty of people coming here for detecting
holidays, and I expect some of those doing the organizing are genuine too.

There is no doubt though, that there are those just in it to make a quick buck
(literally :)) from those who think our fields are scattered with Silver and Gold.

This discussion seems to come around with monotonous regularity.
Support the PAS
You know it makes sense

Teknetics T2
XP Goldmaxx Power

ceasar

Post by ceasar »

Old Git John wrote:No matter what it costs, this type of business can only harm metal detecting as a hobby in the entire UK.

O.K. the folk who are daft enough to spend that kind of money, may tell you they do so out of love for the hobby.
How many of you even knew an American who did things purely out of his/her love of doing so. ? They do it for
the same reason "hawkers" do it, to make a buck or more on anything they dig up.

They come here because, in their tiny minds, their is no real history in their, comparatively, young country, which to a degree
may be true. However, I feel bound to ask, did nobody occupy lands in what we now know as the United States of America
before we turned up ? Was this just an enormous wasteland, completely lifeless, were there no humans who would have
needed tools, or weapons?. Did it really take a tiny group of islanders to find the place, colonise it, and then cross breed
until we have what we see now, an oversized nation, with oversized ego's, who can only see as far as the end of the pen which
signs the cheque?:
Dunno how much we paid these guys to come here, glad they did tho even if they never went home again.

http://www.madingleyamericancemetery.info/
1000+ Finds Recorded on P.A.S

Deetektor

Post by Deetektor »

That's a fascinating place to visit, very well laid out.

A lot of the graves are empty though, as many families took up the option of having
remains repatriated to the USA.
When we were at Duxford a couple of weeks ago, we were looking at the walls where
the names of 30,000 US airmen who lost their lives flying from English bases are
commemorated.
Support the PAS
You know it makes sense

Teknetics T2
XP Goldmaxx Power

bodvoc
Consortium Member
Consortium Member

Post by bodvoc »

Old Git John wrote:
You may by now have gathered, I am somewhat against the digs which brought this on. Rant now over, and "time for another coffee"
Americano? :g42:
Professionally aimless wandering.

seDEUSed

Ghost
UKDN Valued Member

Post by Ghost »

GERROF OUR LAND !
If u believe.,look 2 the dawn and u will know that i'm watching and waiting for the time when we'll always b together...There can be only one..IXOYE

chrick53
Main Detector: Fisher F75 XP Deus

Post by chrick53 »

So sorry you feel this way about us Americans with our tiny minds. My husband and I have been metal detecting for over 25 years and have yet to sell a single find. So I guess we are the exception to all the others who only metal detect for profit.

We have been to England ten times to metal detect and have made many British friends. I'm sure you probably would never want to be counted as one.
We love the hobby and the history no matter where the finds are from. Our house is like a museum with all the displays that we have. We also love to look for Indian artifacts, fossils & gems. Many of our finds from England have been donated to, and reside in, British museums. We have also included in our will that when we die all of our relics from England will be donated to the Colchester Museum. In the states when we have permission to detect on private property we often make up a display of all the finds that were found there and offer them to the property owner. We believe that the relics show the history of their home and belong with them if they want them. Every coin and relic that we found in your country was recorded and issued an export license and every Treasure Act law was followed to the letter. Are you sure every metal detectorist in England can say this honestly?

I have to say that I was very hurt and offended by the remarks you made and I think that if we had met under different circumstances we might well have enjoyed a pleasant day detecting but I guess once you realized that we were thieving rebels you would have run for the hills.

I also have to say that I am surprised that the forum moderators did not remove your comments from this thread because of the negative remarks.

I am very sure that our friends and all the other American detectorists that we have hunted with across the pond feel as we do about the coins and relics we find no matter where they are found. I am also sure that there are always a few (in American & England) who detect for the wrong reasons and do not respect property and laws but these are the exception.

We all love the same hobby, why do we have to be nasty to each other? Christy Wissinger
Old Git John wrote:No matter what it costs, this type of business can only harm metal detecting as a hobby in the entire UK.

O.K. the folk who are daft enough to spend that kind of money, may tell you they do so out of love for the hobby.
How many of you even knew an American who did things purely out of his/her love of doing so. ? They do it for
the same reason "hawkers" do it, to make a buck or more on anything they dig up.

They come here because, in their tiny minds, their is no real history in their, comparatively, young country, which to a degree
may be true. However, I feel bound to ask, did nobody occupy lands in what we now know as the United States of America
before we turned up ? Was this just an enormous wasteland, completely lifeless, were there no humans who would have
needed tools, or weapons?. Did it really take a tiny group of islanders to find the place, colonise it, and then cross breed
until we have what we see now, an oversized nation, with oversized ego's, who can only see as far as the end of the pen which
signs the cheque?

Britain is one of the most tolerant nations on earth, we as citizens have an enormous amount of freedom of choice, in what we say
or do. One of the offshoots of that is the fact that, at present, we no longer have to hold a licence to metal detect. We do however
have some very stringent rules in the codes of practice, and access permissions rules, as well as those concerning such things as the
Treasure Act, scheduled monuments, SSSI's, and so on.

I cannot imagine that overseas visitors, paying specifically to go on this kind of dig, would be made entirely aware of the restrictions
which have to be faced.

You may by now have gathered, I am somewhat against the digs which brought this on. Rant now over, and "time for another coffee"

May I now please remove my tongue from my cheek ? :hahaha: :bus:
IF YOU DIG ENOUGH HOLES YOU'RE GONNA FIND SOMETHING

Return to “LATEST NEWS”