Discuss The Benefits Of Metal Detectorists

The place to find the latest news story . . .
you can make a comment if you wish!
Puffin
UKDN Valued Member and Diamond Supporter
meble kuchenne warszawa
Main Detector: Mark one gray matter

Discuss The Benefits Of Metal Detectorists

Post by Puffin »

http://archmdmag.com/2016/03/08/discuss ... h-ba-hons/

Discuss The Benefits Of Metal Detectorists To The Archaeological Community. By Alison Smith BA (Hons)

Introduction.
This essay will discuss the benefits of metal Detectorists to the archaeological community by examining the various methods undertaken by metal Detectorists of assisting archaeologists in excavations, the recovery and rescue of many coins and artefacts from the destruction of modern farming practices and also assisting in the recovery of discarded jewelry. The essay will discuss the case studies of the Staffordshire Hoard, the Frome Hoard and the Snettisham Hoard, all of which metal Detectorists discoveredand who are also assisting with research projects on hoard sites. The essay will also discuss how a responsible metal detectorist is a useful resource in assisting the archaeological community, through the personal communications with an amateur and two professional metal detectorists. The essay will conclude with how an important resource a metal detectorist is in the recovery of important finds of hoards, coins and artefacts.
Deus, XP GMP, CS 4Pi, Canon 450d, Garmin GPS, PAS Self Recorder.
Hamster Count 55. Then so far this year 0 to the Deus.
Denarius Count 7. Then so far this year 0.

sic odiggin
UKDN Supporter
Main Detector: XP Deus

Re: Discuss The Benefits Of Metal Detectorists

Post by sic odiggin »

What's the difference between an amateur and a professional detectorists?
Serious question!
Today's the day! (Or that's what i've been telling myself for the past thirty years!)

tomredmayne
Finds Advisor - UKDN Supporter - Diamond
Main Detector: XP Déus

Post by tomredmayne »

sic odiggin wrote:What's the difference between an amateur and a professional detectorists?
Serious question!
From the full article...........still non-the-wiser really......... :g43:

Thomas Lee, an amateur metal detectorist from Windsor, suggested in an interview, that a metal detectorist could ‘field walk for days, possibly months and find nothing’. It is mainly by chance that a discovery of a find is recovered at any given site and time. Mr. Lee always obtained the landowner’s permission and recorded his finds.Mr. Lee’s finds comprised of many Roman, Victorian and Edwardian coins, shoe buckles dating to the 1600s, an Elizabeth I, 6 pence dating 1580 and a gold band engraved with the words ‘True Love and I together Lye’. Mr. Lee has not assisted on any archaeological excavations, although he would if the opportunity occurred (information received from T. Lee, personal communication, February 29, 2012).

Mick Turrell of ‘Leisure Promotions’ of Newbury and a professional metal detectorist suggested in an interview, that Mr. Turrell ‘had never assisted on an archaeological excavation, although he would also if the opportunity occurred’. Mr. Turrell suggested that metal detectorists are a‘valuable source of assistance’ and possible advice to archaeologists (information received from M. Turrell, personal communication, February 29, 2012).

Colin Sharratt is a professional metal detectorist in Cheshire and often assists in archaeological excavations. Mr. Sherratt suggested in an interview that ‘a responsible metal detectorist assisting on archaeological sites, have recently supported archaeologists in the recovery of many historical coins and artefacts’ of which have greatly benefitted and assisted in the dating of sites. Without the metal detector, many important finds would remain undiscovered. It is important not to neglect the many important finds discovered by the archaeologist. The metal detector is simply an instrument of which is of immense assistance on site (information received from C. Sherratt, personal communication, March 02, 2012).

Self-recording with the PAS, it's worth the effort.........MY RECORDS

DISC ON PIN BUCKLES

splodge
UKDN Supporter - Silver
UKDN Supporter - Silver
Main Detector: deus

Post by splodge »

I assume a professional detectorist is one which does detecting surveys to support planning applications. They are often required in South Scotland. I can't think of any other way to make a living from detecting. It would be like a lottery based business model, high risk high (or no!) return.

Owen williams422

Post by Owen williams422 »

There is no professional detectorists!! I would imagine its somebody that likes to think there a pro that would call themselves that!!! Australia where detectorists go out everyday in the desert looking for gold is the closest you would come to doing it for a living,turning up on a site to detect a few spoil heaps for archioologists is not a profession

fiddiwebb

Post by fiddiwebb »

Iv'e got to ask this but is this essay kosher?
Can't find anything online about it, thought I would ask before "someone" has a hairy fit reading it.

Old Git John
UKDN Valued Member and Platinum Supporter
Main Detector: SIMPLEX

Post by Old Git John »

NOT a question of what the benfit of detectorist is to arcaeologists, but one of, how do archies bennefit from the skills, and
dedication of metal detectorists, who have a hobby, and more often than not, act responsibly, when they find something of
importance.
This a far distant relation to Time Team, who, eventually realised the value of us.
I used to have an issue regarding having an inferiority complex, I no longer have an issue with being inferior.

Puffin

Post by Puffin »

Did not this young lady post on here a few years ago asking questions of detectorists.

tomredmayne

Post by tomredmayne »

Puffin wrote:Did not this young lady post on here a few years ago asking questions of detectorists.
No Barry that was Felicity Winckley, working with Sam Moorhead. She came over to interview me and have a walk around some of my detecting sites. She was looking at detectorists' attitudes to the land they detected on....... :g50:

DISC ON PIN BUCKLES

sic odiggin
UKDN Supporter
Main Detector: XP Deus

Post by sic odiggin »

Well I've been detecting for a long long time and ive helped recover items on archaeological digs. Does this make me a professional detectorists? No it doesn't and I don't consider myself a professional either!
Today's the day! (Or that's what i've been telling myself for the past thirty years!)

Owen williams422

Post by Owen williams422 »

Well said sic odiggin

dig-it-pete
Finds Advisor & Moderator
Finds Advisor & Moderator
Main Detector: Manticore

Post by dig-it-pete »

You only have to look at one of the Portable Antiquities and Treasure Annual Reports to see how important metal detectorists are to Archaeology in the UK, with over 90% of all treasure finds reported annually are found by metal detectorists - enough said I think!
Minelab Manticore

Puffin

Post by Puffin »

tomredmayne wrote:
Puffin wrote:Did not this young lady post on here a few years ago asking questions of detectorists.
No Barry that was Felicity Winckley, working with Sam Moorhead. She came over to interview me and have a walk around some of my detecting sites. She was looking at detectorists' attitudes to the land they detected on....... :g50:
Cheers Tom, I had no contact with the lady at the time but this sounded familiar.

Old Git John
Main Detector: SIMPLEX

Post by Old Git John »

Puffin wrote:
tomredmayne wrote:
Cheers Tom, I had no contact with the lady at the time but this sounded familiar.
Seeing Toms post brings it back now, and he is correct. :g50:
I used to have an issue regarding having an inferiority complex, I no longer have an issue with being inferior.

tomredmayne

Post by tomredmayne »

As far as the "professional" detectorist goes, I would imagine she would class someone who runs a full-time business running detecting holidays and taking out people who pay for the privilege etc. as professional.................... :g43:

DISC ON PIN BUCKLES

Return to “LATEST NEWS”