hoard from river tees declared treasure finds

The place to find the latest news story . . .
you can make a comment if you wish!
ageezer
UKDN Supporter - Bronze
UKDN Supporter - Bronze
meble kuchenne warszawa
Main Detector: deus /nokta pointer

hoard from river tees declared treasure finds

Post by ageezer »

https://www.teesdalemercury.co.uk/news/ ... d-treasure

A COLLECTION of around 5,000 historical artefacts and coins found in the River Tees near Piercebridge has been officially declared as treasure.

For the past 30 years, divers Rolfe Mitchinson and Bob Middlemass have been exploring the depths of the river in the hope of finding out more about the history of the area.

The pair have collected about 1,500 coins and 3,500 objects including medical instruments, writing styluses and decorative pins. The artefacts are mainly from the Roman era but the oldest silver coin dates back to 50BC.

A treasure inquest was held at Durham Coroner’s Court, in Crook, last Thursday (August 30). Senior coroner Jeremy Chipperfield concluded that the artefacts and coins were treasure. Mr Mitchinson, 78, from Bournmoor near Chester-le-Street, said: “The finds have been declared as treasure and we are very happy with that.

“We are hoping that the collection will be put on display. It was the full aspect of Roman life in Piercebridge. We want it to stay at this end of the country because it belongs in the Darlington, Piercebridge and Barnard Castle areas.”

The pair, who are both members of the Northern Archaeology Group, met in the seventies when they both took part in sea diving.

Old Git John
UKDN Valued Member and Platinum Supporter
UKDN Valued Member and Platinum Supporter
Main Detector: SIMPLEX

Re: hoard from river tees declared treasure finds

Post by Old Git John »

A good story, but one which is thought provoking. On the strength of the time spent searching, and the "unknown" area in
which the searching took place, has the Coroner set a president for future treasure inquests, in that a metal detectorist who
detects the same field for over 30 years, and amasses hundreds of pieces of mixed items, including coins, and artefacts, is going to have to declare ALL of those finds as if they were ONE. With the end result being that all will be declared treasure ?

I know that certain members will say that I am talking rot, and poo poo the very thought, I would say that this could be just another huge thorn in our sides as far as metal detecting goes, and that it will lead to an increase in illegal use of detectors, HAWKING.

I hope that I am wrong, but feel it does need thinking about, and discussion. Again the force of political correctness comes to the fore, like an out of control damp squib. :g58:
I used to have an issue regarding having an inferiority complex, I no longer have an issue with being inferior.

jcmaloney
UKDN Diamond Supporter and UKDN Magazine Contributor
UKDN Diamond Supporter and UKDN Magazine Contributor

Post by jcmaloney »

They search the river at Piercebridge.

Its an interesting point that, only now, has the collection been too inquest after 30 years of searching.

:g43: :g43:

manny
UKDN Supporter
Main Detector: XP Deus

Post by manny »

The end of the wedge gets ever thinner. You make a very valid point John.

Euan

Post by Euan »

:g38: :g38: :g38: Cheers!

Return to “LATEST NEWS”