US tourists paying thousands to trudge UK fields 

The place to find the latest news story . . .
you can make a comment if you wish!
lee greagsbey
Site Admin
meble kuchenne warszawa
Main Detector: Deus, CTX, Excalibur
Location: A Surrey coddiwomple exiled into East Hampshire working back in Surrey

US tourists paying thousands to trudge UK fields 

Post by lee greagsbey »

"Britain's ancient gold rush! Instagram is fuelling flood of US tourists paying thousands to trudge UK fields in a bid to find Roman coins or lost artefacts"

... :g43:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... facts.html
XP Deus V5.2
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Excalibur 1000
Garrett Pro Pointer
Makro Pointer
XP Mi-6 Pinpointer
NCMD

“Only the devil and I know the whereabouts of my treasure, and the one of us who lives the longest should take it all ” Edward Teach
{P:

Baldric
Site Moderator - UKDN Supporter
Main Detector: XP DEUS

Re: US tourists paying thousands to trudge UK fields 

Post by Baldric »

Been going on for years, there was a unsubstantiated story that the organisers had allegedly seeded the fields prior to the digs, I don't know if there was any truth in the rumour though.
Just because you are not paranoid, it does not mean that they are not out to get you

Troy Shadow X3, Shadow X5, XP ORX and now the DEUS 1

Jellytussle
UKDN Supporter - Bronze
UKDN Supporter - Bronze

Post by Jellytussle »

At least it looks as though their finds are getting recorded - which is a damn sight better than quite a few UK metal detecting clubs.

lee greagsbey
Site Admin
Location: A Surrey coddiwomple exiled into East Hampshire working back in Surrey

Post by lee greagsbey »

Baldric wrote:Been going on for years, there was a unsubstantiated story that the organisers had allegedly seeded the fields prior to the digs, I don't know if there was any truth in the rumour though.
I think I heard about the unsubstantiated story your referring to Baldric.
Jellytussle wrote:At least it looks as though their finds are getting recorded - which is a damn sight better than quite a few UK metal detecting clubs.
Yes Jt, it was comforting to read that the finds are being recorded with PAS and are apparently getting export licenses to take the finds home.
XP Deus V5.2
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Excalibur 1000
Garrett Pro Pointer
Makro Pointer
XP Mi-6 Pinpointer
NCMD

“Only the devil and I know the whereabouts of my treasure, and the one of us who lives the longest should take it all ” Edward Teach
{P:

CalGail

Post by CalGail »

It's not totally unsubstantiated. I'm one of those American tourists who come to your wonderful country to hunt for things in the ground. I went with a fellow some years ago in Norfolk and found a Mark Anthony coin that had been varnished. Needless to say, that was my last trip with THAT fellow. Another trip was with a US Whites dealer whose fellow dealers seemed to find all of the really good coins in very odd places.

Euan

Post by Euan »

:g43:
CalGail wrote:It's not totally unsubstantiated. I'm one of those American tourists who come to your wonderful country to hunt for things in the ground. I went with a fellow some years ago in Norfolk and found a Mark Anthony coin that had been varnished. Needless to say, that was my last trip with THAT fellow. Another trip was with a US Whites dealer whose fellow dealers seemed to find all of the really good coins in very odd places.

lee greagsbey
Site Admin

Post by lee greagsbey »

CalGail wrote:It's not totally unsubstantiated. I'm one of those American tourists who come to your wonderful country to hunt for things in the ground. I went with a fellow some years ago in Norfolk and found a Mark Anthony coin that had been varnished. Needless to say, that was my last trip with THAT fellow. Another trip was with a US Whites dealer whose fellow dealers seemed to find all of the really good coins in very odd places.

Hi CG, I am sorry to hear of your disappointing experience.... unfortunately there are some if not alot of unscrupulous people out there. It's interesting to hear things from the American side as we only hear about it from a British perspective. I am in a club and recently had a Canadian chap over here on a metal detecting holiday who attended a club dig as a guest maybe that could be a angle to investigate as could be a more transparent approach and could possibly give you the positive experience you where looking for....
Just a idea, all I personally ask is that you record anything found within the PAS guidelines, I guess they would be able to advise you on export licenses also... :g50:
XP Deus V5.2
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Excalibur 1000
Garrett Pro Pointer
Makro Pointer
XP Mi-6 Pinpointer
NCMD

{P:

CalGail

Post by CalGail »

Lee Greagsbey- I learned my lesson from the earlier experiences, I now go with a group from Colchester who scrupulously records EVERYTHING with PAS. At the end of the hunt, we turn all our finds to him. He then deals with the liaison officer, the museums and the export licenses. With him, I feel that your precious history and my a## is covered.

lee greagsbey
Site Admin

Post by lee greagsbey »

CalGail wrote:Lee Greagsbey- I learned my lesson from the earlier experiences, I now go with a group from Colchester who scrupulously records EVERYTHING with PAS. At the end of the hunt, we turn all our finds to him. He then deals with the liaison officer, the museums and the export licenses. With him, I feel that your precious history and my a## is covered.
:g50:

Just out of interest, in the US you have some pretty nice Indian/first nation stone arrowheads. My uncle brought some back years ago and I inherited them when he passed away, does the US have a similar scheme regarding the exporting of such finds?
XP Deus V5.2
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Excalibur 1000
Garrett Pro Pointer
Makro Pointer
XP Mi-6 Pinpointer
NCMD

{P:

CalGail

Post by CalGail »

As long as you find such things on private land (hopefully with permission), it's yours. Taking things, including metal detecting and arrowheads/other native American made things is usually forbidden on federal land/parks. States and localities may have other regulations. Frankly, I think PAS is wonderful, although a bit slow and cumbersome at times.

topdog
Main Detector: xp deus

Post by topdog »

slow and cumbersome !!!! methinks you are master of the UNDERSTATEMENT my son and I have items with them that they have had upwards of 5 years ..the longest being 2 parts of a bronze age rapier that was going through the valuation process 12 months ago.. 2 years ago the lad found a silver retainers badge " stags head over tudor rose " have we heard anything since collection by the FLO ?? as they say up north " have we hell as like"

Ghost
UKDN Valued Member

Post by Ghost »

Groups from America were coming here to detect 20 years ago , it was a known scam even then
If u believe.,look 2 the dawn and u will know that i'm watching and waiting for the time when we'll always b together...There can be only one..IXOYE

lee greagsbey
Site Admin

Post by lee greagsbey »

CalGail wrote:As long as you find such things on private land (hopefully with permission), it's yours. Taking things, including metal detecting and arrowheads/other native American made things is usually forbidden on federal land/parks. States and localities may have other regulations. Frankly, I think PAS is wonderful, although a bit slow and cumbersome at times.
Thanks for getting back to me CalGail... :g50: I have no idea where he got them really but I know he was very good friends with the Amish and stayed with them a lot in Ohio, so I strongly suspect they were from there somewhere. Yes PAS is a wonderful free resource we are very lucky to have over here, but I have to agree a little slow (in some cases very very slow) but for me personally I hand in my finds one month and collect them on the next months appointment but the FLO's are a very stretched and underfunded resource....
XP Deus V5.2
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Excalibur 1000
Garrett Pro Pointer
Makro Pointer
XP Mi-6 Pinpointer
NCMD

{P:

JBM
UKDN Valued Member and UKDN Magazine Contributer
Main Detector: XP Deus.

Post by JBM »

Interesting thread for sure.

Folks have been coming over here from world wide and its a fact that many finds are taken home by them which did not have an export license.

The big rallies are a good example of just that happening.

I hear on the grape vine that behind the scenes legislation is underway to reduce rallies to 50 detectorists and a year later to only 30 participants.

Things have changed a lot since I purchased my first detector, but my message is "dont give up the day job."

Time to pack the car for a WHRADA event later this morning.

Happy Hunting,

Jerry.
WHRADA Member.
NCMD member WR.

Baldric
Site Moderator - UKDN Supporter
Main Detector: XP DEUS

Post by Baldric »

:g50:
Just because you are not paranoid, it does not mean that they are not out to get you

Troy Shadow X3, Shadow X5, XP ORX and now the DEUS 1

Return to “LATEST NEWS”