Viking treasure found

The place to find the latest news story . . .
you can make a comment if you wish!
Casa-Dos
meble kuchenne warszawa
Main Detector: Nox 800 & SE MINELAB

Viking treasure found

Post by Casa-Dos »

32-year-old Terese found a great viking treasure

32-year-old amateur archaeologist Terese Frydensberg Refsgaard has found a great viking treasure on Bornholm. 98 currencies, jewelry and other silver items.

′′ It's a dream find says Terese.

Millennial silverware was only about 20 inches underground.

Terese, who lives with her eleven-year-old son in Aarhus, has been looking for antiques with a metal detector for three to four years. It is legal under certain conditions in Denmark, but it is prohibited in Sweden.

- I've been interested in history since I was little. My parents always dragged me to museums she says.

In mid-October, Terese was at a meeting in Bornholm with a dozen other amateur archaeologists.

Terese went looking for a prairie in Østerlars, a few kilometers from the east coast of the island.

Just 20 inches down
- Got a very weak signal from the detector. But I dug and found a silver object about 20 inches deep. And then one to five inches apart she says.

- Thought this could be the start of a tax. And for five hours I then unearthed one object after another. Coins and jewelry, such as bracelets and necklaces.

In the end, there were 98 different items. The tax was dated about 1036 as the youngest coin of discovery carries that year.

On Tuesday, a few weeks after the first discovery, professional archaeologists systematically searched the same area and found some fifty extra silver items.

There was a house on the site
Poles holes show there was a house on the site back in Viking times.

Terese Frydensberg Refsgaard says she thinks those who lived there might have buried their valuables under the ground in case of an assault or similar emergency.

- It's impressive to see how fine and well preserved money is after so many years on earth, she thinks.

- One can wonder what happened to the Viking that didn't come back to get his treasure. Did he die in battle, got sick or forgot where he was?

Terese has now handed over the entirety of his discovery to the Museum of Bornholms, in accordance with Danish law. But she will receive financial compensation for that.

Over a hundred viking treasures
- I always dreamed of finding something in the ground. A flint axe or something. This is a dream find.

Viking treasures are actually not that rare on the island. 115 similar findings have been made over the years, archaeologist Anders Pihl said at the Bornholms Museum at the newspaper Jyllands-Posten.

′′ Either the Vikings shoped here in Bornholm or we were good at going out and stealing it ", he says to the newspaper.

Gotland is the only place other Viking findings were made.
Attachments
IMG_8806.JPG
IMG_8806.JPG (65.7 KiB) Viewed 1639 times
IMG_8807.JPG
IMG_8807.JPG (125.17 KiB) Viewed 1639 times
IMG_8808.JPG
IMG_8808.JPG (92.02 KiB) Viewed 1639 times
IMG_8809.JPG
IMG_8809.JPG (89.92 KiB) Viewed 1639 times
IMG_8810.JPG
IMG_8810.JPG (163.95 KiB) Viewed 1639 times
IMG_8811.JPG
IMG_8811.JPG (33.33 KiB) Viewed 1639 times
Using a Equinox 800 back up Is Minelab SE
Did Have XS minelab & explorer2

Casa-Dos
Main Detector: Nox 800 & SE MINELAB

Re: Viking treasure found

Post by Casa-Dos »

And more shots
Attachments
IMG_8812.JPG
IMG_8812.JPG (81.62 KiB) Viewed 1638 times
Using a Equinox 800 back up Is Minelab SE
Did Have XS minelab & explorer2

muddy
UKDN Supporter
Main Detector: XP Deus

Post by muddy »

You have to feel envious at another great find. :g5: :g38:

shaggybfc
UKDN Supporter - Gold
UKDN Supporter - Gold
Main Detector: Deus on X35 coils

Post by shaggybfc »

The fantastic Deus does it again.... a dream to unearth that history :g50:

On the first photo, I was trying to figure out what creature she had in front of her, then realised,,, slapping myself on the forehead :Biggestgrin:

ageezer
UKDN Supporter - Bronze
UKDN Supporter - Bronze
Main Detector: deus /nokta pointer

Post by ageezer »

looks like stubble ,some guys dont like stubble and pasture

Return to “LATEST NEWS”