Henry 3rd gold 20 pence

The place to find the latest news story . . .
you can make a comment if you wish!
going4gold
UKDN Supporter - Bronze
UKDN Supporter - Bronze
meble kuchenne warszawa
Main Detector: Equinox/xterra/csco

Re: Henry 3rd gold 20 pence

Post by going4gold »

Very nice i know people don't like people selling their finds but............. Anyway you never know when somone is going to find a hoard of them :)
x-terra705, cscope R1 user

the-roman
Site Admin
Main Detector: XP Deus II

Post by the-roman »

I know we don't normally discus values as it is against UKDN rules, but in certain circumstances such as this then of course people will wonder and talk about value, it's only natural and of course we would all like to know the outcome :g50: Whatever the value is he will probably have no choice but to sell as the landowner, of course, will be wanting a 50/50 split, as it should be :g58: :g50:
XP Deus II - NCMD member.

shaggybfc
UKDN Supporter - Gold
UKDN Supporter - Gold
Main Detector: Deus on X35 coils

Post by shaggybfc »

the-roman wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 8:43 am I know we don't normally discus values as it is against UKDN rules, but in certain circumstances such as this then of course people will wonder and talk about value, it's only natural and of course we would all like to know the outcome :g50: Whatever the value is he will probably have no choice but to sell as the landowner, of course, will be wanting a 50/50 split, as it should be :g58: :g50:
It'll be like that scene from Charlie and the Chocolate factory..... where everyone is trying to buy it cheap before the real value is realised.
I'm still not 100% convinced on its authenticity. If, and it’s a big IF, it’s a type 4 obverse with ‘new’, unrecorded type reverse die, then that is uber rare. I think I can rule myself out of the bidding :g40: :g40:

dig-it-pete
Finds Advisor & Moderator
Finds Advisor & Moderator
Main Detector: Manticore

Post by dig-it-pete »

We really need to wait until it has been professionally identified and verified as a genuine coin, which it will have to be before it is sold at auction or anywhere else for that matter :g50:

We await the results with eager anticipation :g58:

Presumably it will be making an appearance in one of the detecting magazines soon as well, so hopefully get the full story :g50:
Minelab Manticore

Peter D. Spencer

Post by Peter D. Spencer »

Before this only eight gold pennies of Henry III were known.

strapenddave
Consortium Member
Consortium Member

Post by strapenddave »

I'm just loving the buzz of excitement surrounding this find and the sense of goodwill from everyone for the finder. I'm not sure that the atmosphere would have been quite the same if the coin had had to be surrendered as potential treasure. In that scenario, I'm sure that all of the discussion would have been about how badly the finder was likely to be treated by the Treasure police, both in terms of time delays and poor valuations.
But, by this time next year, it is very likely that single gold coins over 300 years old will have to be surrendered under the new Treasure rules currently under discussion. Whilst, I wouldn't oppose arguments which try to retain historically significant finds in the UK, I strongly disagree with this being used as an excuse to pay out derisory rewards late in the day when finds are taken by the state.

Eugenius
Main Detector: Deus

Post by Eugenius »

Occasionally when time and wife permit I do enjoy a self indulgent browse through the hallowed pages of Spink'
This invariably leads to flights of fantasy and some serious wishful thinking. Which ones would I like to find ?
I find there are two levels of imagination in my wandering mind.
The first is for coins that I find particularly attractive and desirable and perhaps obtainable.
Henry V11 profile Testoon, Charles 1st Crown, Saxon primitive portraits, Ides of March Denarius to name but a few !
These beauties although not common, may just be within reach of my search head !

The second and premier level of lust and envy to my eye are the gems that are impossible for me to find !
Solidus of Wigmund, gold Penny of Coenwulf, Dinar of Offa and yes ,the gold Twenty Pence of Henry 111 !!
Of these I spend more time dreaming of the Henry, probably because it is within a reign of a king I can actually find.
Bod and I have fields where Henry 111 occasionally turns up. Perhaps we are one yard and one signal away from a firework display !!?

Now someone has done it !
I pray that this beauty is proved genuine, if so it would prove not only rare and valuable but inspiring - Dreams can come true !!

I can now happily entertain thoughts of attending the Mad Hatters Tea Party with Father Christmas, The Easter Bunny and The Tooth Fairy !!
Why not ?
After all - apparently, anything is possible !!!
Whatever next?

Ghost
UKDN Valued Member

Post by Ghost »

Luckily I have done well with finds over the years, but once I get that elusive gold roman I’ll be done.

Anyone in Colchester need a lodger ? :g42:
If u believe.,look 2 the dawn and u will know that i'm watching and waiting for the time when we'll always b together...There can be only one..IXOYE

ageezer
UKDN Supporter - Bronze
UKDN Supporter - Bronze
Main Detector: deus /nokta pointer

Post by ageezer »

the rally organsiers may want a piece of the action as well as landowners :kissblow:

strapenddave
Consortium Member
Consortium Member

Post by strapenddave »

Really Ageezer? Are you suggesting that rally organisers write clauses into their invites which require finders to share the value of valuable finds with both them and the landowner? I didn't know that this happens. Is it common practise?

Ghost
UKDN Valued Member

Post by Ghost »

I know what they would get !
If u believe.,look 2 the dawn and u will know that i'm watching and waiting for the time when we'll always b together...There can be only one..IXOYE

shaggybfc
UKDN Supporter - Gold
UKDN Supporter - Gold
Main Detector: Deus on X35 coils

Post by shaggybfc »

I see Spink have confirmed the authenticity and that it’s a unique die combination :g50:

strapenddave
Consortium Member
Consortium Member

Post by strapenddave »

The coin is going up for auction with Spinks on 23 Jan 2022. See link.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/2465098 ... &ref=notif

Return to “LATEST NEWS”