SILBURY RIDDLE

The place to find the latest news story . . .
you can make a comment if you wish!
petem
meble kuchenne warszawa

SILBURY RIDDLE

Post by petem »

The riddle of Silbury Hill remains unsolved.

Full Story

crepitis

Re: SILBURY RIDDLE

Post by crepitis »

Interesting read there Petem, :clap
I liked this passage .."To gaze on that prodigious pimple, especially with a mist swirling over the downs, is to feel both the ambition and the vainglory of Homo sapiens. All that effort, planning and ingenuity, gone into producing a monument to a belief, a person, a regime, an event, that must have seemed frightfully important at the time, yet is now totally erased from human chronicle and consciousness."
Ive often thought that when viewing ancient monuments, all that effort,care,and attention put into raising this timeless edifice..and for what?, no one now has a clue what all the effort was for :g43:

petem

Post by petem »

Yep they could have stuck a label on it, telling us what it was. :lol:

Changing religious practices after the Roman invasion would go someway to deleting the memory of why these things were erected.

Many of the old monuments were incorporated into the new beliefs, churches built on former iron age mounds for instance.

rider

Post by rider »

Very interesting artical, one day maybe who knows.

petethedig
UKDN Valued Member and Diamond Supporter
UKDN Valued Member and Diamond Supporter
Main Detector: Minelab Etrac

Post by petethedig »

I was down there last Sunday and the most interesting thing about Silbury is that you can see it from all directions and from miles away. I was up at Windmill hill and you could see it well, then I went over to Avebury and you could see it from there then over to Overton Down and all up the ridgeway you could see it right down to the Sanctuary. Seeing that it was mainly white when built (being chalk) I wonder if it weren't some sort of marker to show where the ritual area was in the landscape. Very interesting place and monument of course.

Return to “LATEST NEWS”