Weapons find lecture !

The place to find the latest news story . . .
you can make a comment if you wish!
anonymous
meble kuchenne warszawa

Weapons find lecture !

Post by anonymous »

click

Just in case it's not working
i'll paste the thing here,
East Riding: The conservation of one of the most important archaeological finds ever made in the East Riding will be highlighted in a public lecture later this month.

The South Cave Weapons Cache will be the subject of the lecture in Beverley by Liz Goodman, a conservator at the Museum of London Archaeology Service.

Miss Goodman will discuss the discovery of five first century swords in a farmer's field and the painstaking year-long conservation programme.

Dr David Marchant, East Riding Council's museums registrar, said: "This is a chance to go behind the scenes and learn some of the findings of the year-long conservation programme.

"It is also an opportunity to see some stunning images of the finds, now that the accumulated corrosion from centuries of burial in the ground has been removed."

The lecture will take place at the East Riding Treasure House, Champney Road, Beverley, on Thursday, November 15, from 6.30pm to 7.30pm.

The event is part of a programme of events, supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund, that will lead to the display of the internationally-important group of Iron Age swords and spearheads next spring.

Councillor Jane Evison, the council's cultural services portfolio holder, said: "There has been an incredible amount of interest in these finds since they were discovered in 2002.

"As we are nearing the display, this lecture will demonstrate how much work has gone into preparing them to go on show."

The lecture is free, but places are limited. Call the Treasure House on (01482) 392780 to reserve a place.

''

History Hunter
UKDN Valued Member and Diamond Supporter
UKDN Valued Member and Diamond Supporter

Re: Weapons find lecture !

Post by History Hunter »

Kev, I'm getting this error when clicking on the link..
An error occurred while processing your request.
Reference #97.2706214e.1194532670.293fea1

Jif
UKDN Bronze Supporter and UKDN Magazine Contributor
UKDN Bronze Supporter and UKDN Magazine Contributor
Main Detector: GMP

Post by Jif »

An error occurred while processing your request.
Reference #97.2706214e.1194539315.29b06ef

Same here.
"Where are you taking that cow"??
"To the bull"
"Can`t your father do that"??
"No it has to be the bull"!!!!!

docdave

Post by docdave »

I'm guessing this post refers to the lecture on the South Cave swords/spears by the conservator at MOLAS, which I've organised (if not, ignore me!) As you say, the link doesn't seem to work. The lecture is on Thursday 15th November, 6.30-7.30pm in the Education Room at the Treasure House, Champney Road, Beverley. An outstanding metal detecting find from our area, which will go on display next year. The lecture should be a good behind the scenes view on the complex conservation process of the finds. Make sure you ring 01482 39 2780 to reserve a place, as space is limited.

:D
To err is human; to really foul up you need a committee...

anonymous

Post by anonymous »

Hi Dave your mentioned in it,quite the celebrity :lol:
the link works fine for me,
shame it's not for others.
Kev.

Blue

Post by Blue »

so this doesn't refer to my 9mm and sawn off shotgun find then :oops:

Sounds good but a bit far - should be worth it for the Yorkies though

anonymous

Post by anonymous »

Did the link work for you Blue?

Corinne Mills

Post by Corinne Mills »

works here ok

anonymous

Post by anonymous »

Thanks Co.

Corinne Mills

Post by Corinne Mills »

you going kev?

anonymous

Post by anonymous »

Might do,
the lads that found them were
members of the club I used to go to.
Very exiting at the time.

docdave

Post by docdave »

Thanks All

Me celebrity?!? Notorious more probably! As of lunchtime today, we have no more places left for the swords lecture unfortunately. If we'd not had another event going on the same evening, I'd have bagged a bigger space. We might have to repeat this one next year when the swords display opens (probably May '08)

:roll:

docdave

Post by docdave »

Well, we got 60 people for the lecture, including quite a few detectorists. My thanks to everyone who turned out. It was extremely interesting and the photos indicate the finds will be pretty stunning when they go on display. I will keep people posted as to progress on that. May be some more lectures to come yet and a publication next year. :clap

Return to “LATEST NEWS”