Royal Marine has dangerous task

The place to find the latest news story . . .
you can make a comment if you wish!
Corinne Mills
meble kuchenne warszawa

Royal Marine has dangerous task

Post by Corinne Mills »

A Royal Marine described yesterday how he did one of the most dangerous jobs in the world – hunting for deadly Taliban bombs in southern Afghanistan.

Stuart Ratcliffe, 20, from 45 Commando, whose UK base is at Arbroath, regularly arms himself with a metal detector and heads off into dangerous Helmand province.

At the front of a group of fighters from Whiskey Company, he passes the machine across muddy paths and fields as he walks, listening intently for the shrill beep that indicates buried explosives.

When the detector emits a double tone, he lies down on his front, fully stretched out, and sweeps carefully at the mud with a paint brush.

Sometimes the search turns up a harmless piece of metal – but on other occasions the marine finds an improvised explosive device (IED). The home-made Taliban bombs have increased dramatically in number in recent months and have claimed the lives of several Royal Marines.

The insurgents are inventive, with bombs hidden anywhere they can be put, and triggered by pressure pads or even remote control.

But Royal Marine Ratcliffe, originally from Lancaster, is used to the danger of the job.

The marine, who has been doing the job since October, said: “When I first started I was nervous, because I had never done it before.

“When you hear your first double tone you are a bit scared, but you just carry on, you get used to it.”

But he said he would rather do this job than any other in the patrol. He added: “I prefer doing it. At least I know where I am walking is clear.”

Others further down the line face the danger of straying off the checked route and into the route of an IED, he said.

Click Here
Attachments
sr.jpg
sr.jpg (93.48 KiB) Viewed 5225 times

Donnydave
UKDN Valued Member and Diamond Supporter
Main Detector: XP Deus

Re: Royal Marine has dangerous task

Post by Donnydave »

Brave man, I think I will stick to farmers fields, theres still chance of an uxb :shock:

Cod fangler
UKDN Supporter
Main Detector: Troy Shadow X3

Post by Cod fangler »

He isnt equipped properly though. He should have a T2.
Troy Shadow X3

Geordie

Post by Geordie »

:g25: Respect to that Man :g25:

:g38: and all the servicemen and woman who are doing an incredibly hard job. :g38:

Deetektor
UKDN Gold Supporter and UKDN Magazine Contributor
UKDN Gold Supporter and UKDN Magazine Contributor

Post by Deetektor »

I hope they all get recorded ?
Support the PAS
You know it makes sense

Teknetics T2
XP Goldmaxx Power

Puffin
Main Detector: Mark one gray matter

Post by Puffin »

Yes, all the lads and lasses are doing a brilliant job where ever they are in the world. :g38: :g38: :g38:

I wonder if he ever finds something more interesting. :g43: :g43: :g43:
Deus, XP GMP, CS 4Pi, Canon 450d, Garmin GPS, PAS Self Recorder.
Hamster Count 55. Then so far this year 0 to the Deus.
Denarius Count 7. Then so far this year 0.

Return to “LATEST NEWS”